Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Disclaimer statement

Posted by Rich Larcinese 
Disclaimer statement
September 16, 2004 02:11AM
<HTML>I'm looking for a disclaimer statement to put on a work order or invoice. Can anyone share theirs with me? Thanks</HTML>
Re: Disclaimer statement
September 16, 2004 04:56AM
<HTML>This is what I have --

I hereby grant Superior Shine to perform the above service/s to the vehicle indicated on this forum. I also grant Superior Shine to operate the vehicle for the purpose of auto detailing. I acknowledge that I have been asked to removed all items from the vehicle and I will not hold Superior Shine responsible for any items left in my vehicle. I will not hold Superior Shine responsible for prior damage and/or damage not caused by their negligence.

I guess I should run it by a lawyer first though.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
September 16, 2004 05:16PM
<HTML> We've discussed this before . I suggested a customer waiver for damage due to inherently risky procedures. Brian Angelucci flatly rejected it on the grounds that a pro should know what is safe and what isn't period .
Doug</HTML>
September 17, 2004 04:26AM
<HTML>Brian has a valid point. But, the normal customer is not necessarily the ones who are going to give us problems. We're concerned about the ones that bring a car to us for service when they knowingly have a problem (unbeknown to us) and they fully intend (and do) try to collect from us after our work is done for the problem we allegedly caused.

I had a '92 Lexus that I detailed a while back. The car was a heap, too! The owner specifically asked to have the engine detailed. The car must've been an auction car, because it was in very rough shape. It had about 115,000 miles on it.

Anyhow, we did the job, delivered the car and customer was very pleased. He paid us cash and we followed him to the ATM so he could get the money. We left on good terms. Everyone was happy.

Later that evening, I'm home having dinner & my cell phone rings. It's the customer stating his car is idling way too high and it's running rough. He took it to a Lexus dealer who told him that water probably got into the distributor cap and all he had to do was let it dry out overnight. Although, the cap was completely shielde & water shouldn't have gotten into it unless the shield was cracked. In fact, the cap wasn't even visible.

Customer calls me the next a.m. & says the car is still running rough & what am I going to do about it. I said "Nothing until we know what the problem is and if my work caused it."

Long story short, he took it to another dealer & they told him it was the idling sensor motor (?) and the tech said it may be possible that the engine cleaning could have possibly caused the damage. He also told me the part was going to be pretty expensive. I told him that I wanted the tech's name & phone number as well as a full written & signed statement stating that the engine cleaning caused the damage. The customer asked me why I wanted all that. I told him because I'm going to turn in a claim to my insurance carrier and he will have to deal with them and having been an adjuster for 21 years, I know that the insurance carrier will want this information as well.

Needless to say, I never heard from the guy again. Once he found out that we weren't a fly-by-night outfit & that we are fully insured and don't screw around with this nonsense, he disappeared. But, keep in mind that there's several more phone calls and a lot of wasted time with this clown that could have easily been avoided with a proper waiver.

Joe-you've done a great job. The only thing I would add is a complete waiver for engine cleaning. You know, something like "Customer assumes all risk of damage for engine cleaning and understands that while we use the utmost care in this procedure, we cannot fully guarantee or assume any responsibility for any problems, conditions or predispositions that may have existed prior to cleaning the engine and will in no way, shape or form be held responsible for any conditions that may arise after the engine has been cleaned.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
September 17, 2004 11:37AM
<HTML>Very informative Rod. Your procedure eliminates the people looking for a freebie. I've not run into this kind of situation with my detail business, but when I owned my landscape company, I did. It always amazed me how a customers weed trees magically turned into ornamental trees after they were removed.</HTML>
September 17, 2004 12:27PM
<HTML>It must be a full moon because they are all coming out of the woodwork lately. I had a lady in that we polished and waxed her POS mercury cougar (I believe it was a 1999) and it was black of course. Upon returning to pick up the car she started going off about all the stone chips on the hood of her car and that they weren't there when she brought it in. Upon insisting she look at the chips up close and basically telling her I wasn't going to listen to anything more about it she relented. However, I get a message on my answering machine the next morning saying that we scratched the window tint on the passenger side window. I return her call and tell her to bring the car down and show me. Some of you may recall that I had a surveillance system installed this summer and her car was on camera the entire time it was at the shop. I reviewed the video and we never touched the window except to clean it (with microfiber towels) and the scratch was clean through the tint and looked old. She was hell bent on getting the window re-tinted for free so I sent her to my buddys shop and he is going to re-tint the window and I politely told her not to come back again. She was a little taken aback by that and said she had wanted us to do her other car next week. Thanks but no thanks.</HTML>

September 19, 2004 04:50AM
<HTML>They're something else, eh' Scott? I wonder if they've been adding something to the water in our neck of the woods! And it's always the POS cars. Never the high-end cars that need attention but kept in decent shape overall. Never a problem here. In fact, it almost always results in additional or referral business.

Mark-Very funny, indeed. When I used to adjust claims, the last company I worked for insured foresters (tree cutting/lumbering companies) that would have a plot of land surveyed & marked before they went in & cut out the trees they were after. Well, sometimes the survey was off or the crews didn't see the makrs and they cut some trees on a neighboring property. Keep in mind that these were on tracts of land consisting of several acres out in the middle of nowhere. It was amazing how the trees that were mistakenly taken suddenly became as vluable as Mahogany or Black Walnut when all they really were was Scrub Oak or common Maple. Heck, some of 'em were even half-rotted! We'd go round & round with these folks and eventually, reach a compromise.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login