Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why Not Pick Your Chemicals & Spednd More Time Running Your Business

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Why Not Pick Your Chemicals & Spednd More Time Running Your Business
September 20, 2004 12:21AM
<HTML>Sounding like a broken record again I ask the detailers on this forum why do they spend so much time analyzing and reanalyzing what chemicals to use when it really does not matter that much in the end.

That is not to say you should not use good chemicals, but if you pick a company like AI; Car Brite; Auto Magic; PRO; Ardex; Production; Granitize, etc and buy their best chemicals that should be the end of story.

When I ran my own detail centers we used, of course, DETAIL PLUS chemicals always and exclusively, nothing else.

However, how well we did in business had to do with how well we promoted and provided customer service. Not because of the chemicals we used.

Our very best and most discriminating customers could have cared less what we used on their cars. They only wanted to know we knew what we were doing; treated them with respect; processed their car properly; got it done when we said we would and that we did a good job.

If they had complaints it was customer service or little things like streaky windows; sunvisors not cleaned; wax residue on the trim or dust in the a/c vents.

Seems to me that too many detailers are "technicians" at heart and are more comfortable dealing with the technical aspects of detailing than running a detail business.

This says Michael Gerber in his famous book, "The E Myth" is why many, many small businesses fail. They were started by technicians who felt that if you know "the technical work of a business, you can run a business that does technical work."

This is not true. A technician when confronted with business problems tries to solve them with technical solutions because they do not know how to handle marketing; financial and other business related problems.

I see far to little discuss on this forum about the business side of detailing.

I would be that the detail businesses that fail do not fail because the detailer was not technically sound. They failed because the detailer was not business savy.

Might I suggest that you all read Gerber's book, "The E Myth" will be the best few dollars and 2 hour in reading you ever invested.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: Why Not Pick Your Chemicals &amp; Spednd More Time Running Your Business
September 20, 2004 12:54AM
<HTML>That's the god honest truth Bud. One can sell ice cream to an eskimo if he or she has good business savy. I think way to much time and energy is emphasized on the products and far to little on the business end of things. I have used many different product lines, yours included, and have found they all work very well. I think some people take comfort in knowing all the technical information on different products but ultimately it comes down to someones business plan. A "people" person with a little business skills will be alot more successful than a "brainchild" without people or business skills.</HTML>
September 20, 2004 01:45AM
<HTML>Mark, Bud,

Exactly, and how many times has this been stated, in many different ways.

Bud, you and I do schools, and with both, we always attempt to get this one simple fact of opening a detail operation, "be a businessman", the detailing part comes, or they already have the basics.

Why do so many start-up operations fail, be they mobile or fixed, is a question that we and some others are often asked, and the answer is "never the one they want to hear".

Sort of like some of the "technical issues", too many want the "magic bullet" answer, answers that do not require them to re-think, research, learn, etc or in a lot of cases, actually think about other than getting a good shine or an interior clean.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
September 20, 2004 02:06AM
<HTML>Bud:

You recommanded that book several years ago.

"The E Myth" is one of the best small business books I ever read!!!

Yes I have to agree with you about detailers spending all their time testing products. If you are using one of the companies you mentioned then their is no need to do any testing.

Use professional products and spend you time making money!!!</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
September 20, 2004 04:04AM
<HTML>Excellent thread started here, Bud! Great input Grump, Mark & Paul! I totally agree with you. It seems like a newbie could come to this forum and within a week, know all they need to about products & technique, but little or nothing about how to run a business.

Quite frankly, this forum, for the most part, has become rather mundane in that all that anyone talks about is the best wax, best method to remove (fill in the blank), best product to....blah, blah, blah.

I'm with you guys all the way. And I'm trying to get things going and promote some dialogue with some of the threads I've started talking about marketing, image, etc. I'd sure like to see a whole lot more of this. We all could profit far more by learning & following good business advice than by switching to a new wax or sealant!

Another fantastic book that's a must...Think And Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. It's absolutely amazing. It teaches you how to train yourself to mentally to visualize, prepare for and acheive your business (and personal) goals. It really shows you how, by changing your thought patterns and processes, that you benefit far, far more by working "on" your business rather than working "in" it.</HTML>

Shine On!

Rod Wesley
Touch Up 'N' Go!
Auto &amp; Marine Appearance Center
We take your car from Rough to Buff!
Visit our website at: www.touchupngo.com
September 20, 2004 04:23AM
<HTML>Ketch:

Appreciate your post in support of my contention. The detail industry needs more businessmen and less techs, don't you agree?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
September 20, 2004 12:48PM
<HTML>In this industry, we need good, honest businesmen and well trained, up to date technicans.

They go hand in hand, in order to change the way the public sees the detailing industry, the way the used car salesmanagers at dealerships see the industry.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 20, 2004 10:15PM
<HTML>Rod,

Thanks for the tip on the Think and Grow Rich book. I'm getting it this weekend after I slow down a bit.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login