Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

California VOC Change in October?

Posted by David R 
California VOC Change in October?
September 21, 2004 04:59PM
<HTML>Is California getting ready to change their law on VOC levels in chemicals?

I was told by a supplier that some of their chemicals would not change formulation and thus not be available in California. I don't live in California, but found it interesting.

I am guessing this change has already occured or compliance is set for October.</HTML>

David
Re: California VOC Change in October?
September 21, 2004 06:34PM
<HTML>Yup--the changes are coming, and many products which contain either too high of percentage of hydrocarbon solvents or the wrong solvents will not be available in California.

Several other states are working on new laws to follow California's requirements.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
September 21, 2004 09:14PM
<HTML>New Jersey is also on the list. I did a post a months back after my Auto Magic distributor told me that they won't be selling any solvent based chemicals. Same deal for 3M which he now sells as well.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
September 22, 2004 01:49AM
<HTML>Brian,

Some months back, we did a VOC evaluation of our products, which contain hydrocarbon solvents.

The only one, to this point that had to be reformulated, and only for two private label OEM accounts, was the Fabric Protector.

However, in anticipation of more servere regulations, we are presently working to make other formulation changes.

It is not going to get better for car care product manufacturers, only more servere.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
September 22, 2004 01:52PM
<HTML>Ultimately does the lower VOC affect a products ability?</HTML>

David
September 25, 2004 01:47PM
<HTML>That would depend on what kind of product and what solvents are involved.

One thing that will be noticable, is many of the "bath tubber" chemical companies will find that their "generic" formula's will have to be discontinued, they will need to seek new formulations and change to the exempt solvents.

Many of the "quick and dirty" products will cease to be made, most of the tar, grease removers, lot of the cheaper quick detailers, some waxes and polishes.

The products that will meet the specs will work a bit different and require a few seconds to minutes of "dwell time".

The dangerous, carcenigenic solvent components will not be used, as they are very high on the VOC release level.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
September 26, 2004 04:04AM
<HTML>We are having new laws coming into effect from now to 2008 that affect detailing chemicals.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
September 27, 2004 07:14PM
<HTML>Just reading some of the new CARB requirements.

Looks like California detailers and carwashes will not be able to purchase glass cleaner in a concentrate form once these new reg's kick in.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login