Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

WINDOWS

Posted by GARY RALEIGH 
WINDOWS
May 03, 2002 08:17AM
I RECENTLY BOUGHT AN '02 BLACK CRUISER, HAVING TROUBLE WITH HAZE ON THE WINDOWS. I COULD CLEAN THE SAME WINDOW 5 OR MORE TIMES AND STILL GET HAZE AND STREAKS. I HAVE TRIED SO MANY WINDOW CLEANERS, FROM EXPENSIVE TO CHEAP. I WAS ALSO TOLD NOT TO USE PAPER TOWELS BECAUSE IT CAN SCRATCH THE WINDOW, THIS TRUE? I DO USE A MICROFIBER TOWEL NOW BUT STILL HAVING PROBLEMS, PLEASE HELP.
Re: WINDOWS
May 03, 2002 01:53PM
You can try newpaper to clean the windows with. I have never heard of p-towels scratching glass.
May 03, 2002 05:19PM
what they could be referring to is the window tint scratching left from the paper towels. if you have factory coated(not aftermarket) glass, you shouldn't have a problem. you could have grease or glue in the very corner of your windows which you could be tracking back onto the window. your microfiber towel may also be full of old dirt or grime or fabric softener,soap residue etc. one towel for the initial wipe and a dry towel for the final wipe work best for me.
May 03, 2002 11:04PM
You might have to break down and use soap & water. Yes it will be messy, Yes, you should put a towel on the dashboard & over door panels to catch the run-off before your interior fabric does, but if it IS grease or glue etc. as suggested, the best way to get it out is to use a mild mix of Simple Green & water (regular dish soap if you have tinted windows) and a cut-off paintbrush to reach the small crevices the stuff is hiding in.

Spray, scrub with the brush & wipe off, repeat until clean. Then use a regular glass cleaner (or plain water) to remove the soap smears.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
May 04, 2002 12:21AM
We have been using Sprayway glass cleaner for many years & have just ventured into a new cleaner on the market.

A lot of glass installers only insist on using Sprayway for there glass cleaning needs. We are currently doing extensive testing with the new Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner.

Paper towels do contain cleaning agents in the fibers of the towels. As for scratching, I haven't seen or heard of anybody stating this issue. The Invisible Glass is really amazing to use. Any type of streaking or smearing is completly eliminated. It can also be used on a warm heated glass panel & still be streaked free. This is probably the most amazing part of this new product.

Simple cotton towels work well with this cleaner. Newspaper is highly recommended, but I personally prefer not to use it due to I would rather not read the articules on my hands as I would rather read the paper with a nice hot cup of coffee.
May 04, 2002 02:29AM
i used invisible glass untill i used the detailers line from meguirs glass cleaner. it works just as well and you get in gallons and dilute it 10 to 1 which means it is lots cheaper
mike at the shine shop
Dan
May 04, 2002 09:04AM
I use to swear by invisible glass, but at $55 for 5 gallons? I get the same results with 1 gallon denatured alcohol and 4 gallons of deionized or distilled water. Try it out guys, its well worth it.

P.S. surgical towels are excellent, since they are a bit abrasive and leave no lint, the key is not to contaminate them by mixing them together with other towels. Also, wash them seperatly
May 05, 2002 01:07AM
If you like using newspaper and know someone in the printing business, you could see if they can get you a "stub roll" of the newsprint paper without the ink. Two rolls are hung on a press and the hanging roll is spliced into the running roll before the running roll is run out while the press is running. You'll have the newsprint paper without the ink.
May 05, 2002 08:43PM
i been trying out the eagle 1 20/20 glass cleaner and for over the counter type cleaner, it works great! i had to see it with my own eyes. i stopped using the stoners becasue of the strong fumes. any aerosol will usually dry fast in warm weather and non-aerosol formulations stay on the glass a little longer in the heat. now, if i only had a garage that i could fit a car into!!
May 06, 2002 11:26PM
We have found a product here in canada called MECANI - CLOTH.... it is essentially a newsprint paper type product that is milled for cleaning purposes. Lintless, scratchless and very absorbent. Great for windows mirrors etc. The product works for most any cleaning situations....water, grease and the likes. Rolls are not perforated and generally are about 800 ft long due to the thin nature of the paper so they last forever.

This product is distributed in CANADA by UNISOURCE...(formally Macmillan Blodelle (sp?))
May 08, 2002 03:35AM
Dan I recently went to Home Depot and saw a bottle of Denatured Alcohol and thought of you! I bought it and made a solution about 5 to 1 with distilled water and tried it on my windows. I was very happy with the results! I will probably use this formula from now on considering how costly most window cleaners are and how east and cheap this was to make.

John
Dan
May 08, 2002 05:12AM
Oh my god! Soneone actually tried something I suggested! I dont even bother to post anymore, but now...its actually paying off! Glad you enjoyed the cost saving great window cleaner!
May 23, 2002 10:15PM
I have tried and liked Stoner's Invisible Glass and Sprayway - both very good products but pricey in my opinion - just as good (and cheaper) is equal parts of distilled water and white vinegar - works for me
May 24, 2002 03:18AM
Distilled water & vinegar will work fine. You'll have to change your solution more frequently due to the two mixed together will form an algae & will clog up your sprayer nozzle. You will notice a film type residue being built up during a weeks time.
May 24, 2002 11:39AM
All of you have the right ideas for cleaning the windows, but that's only HALF the job. If you look at glass under a micro-scope, it looks like the moon. the surface is that rough. Once the class is cleaned, it has to be sealed. (you wouldn't clay your car and leave out the polish and wax?) The product I use is from auto-magic called "seal it" IT IS UN R-E-A-L ! I use it on glass and chrome ....my customers tell me they notice their windows stay allot cleaner longer. The reason is simple, once the glass is sealed, most contaminents don't stick to it as easy. To find this product, key in "automagic" on a search engine. turboman

May 24, 2002 02:11PM
I have been know to use RAIN-X on the interiors of the windows too...it DOES help with making subsequent cleanings easier.

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login