Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lets talk Road Paint

Posted by Jeff King 
Lets talk Road Paint
October 05, 2004 01:51AM
<HTML>I use thinner to get it off but it is a slow process. I would like to hear how some of you tackle this problem.</HTML>

Jeff King
Re: Lets talk Road Paint
October 05, 2004 02:18AM
<HTML>Hi Jeff,

One time I had to wetsand the side of an X-type because the road strip had baked on for a year.

Clayed, mineral spirits, IPA, denatured alcohol, nothing would touch it.

The pro's will advise against lacquer thinner, I believe.</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
October 05, 2004 06:35PM
<HTML>This has been discussed and answered before so let's all try using the search function of the forum guys.

[www.web-cars.com]

I got an answer to the search item "road paint" in less than 10 seconds.</HTML>

October 08, 2004 01:34AM
<HTML>Let me ask you Scott, Do you think the same people are looking at this each day or could it be possible that someone might have some new ideas. Don’t waste my time with your comments unless you have useful information. My shop does around 30-50 cars each week so I am no rookie. All I wanted to do was open up a subject to see if perhaps someone might have some new ideas. According to you the only people that were here a month or more ago are the same ones today. Rest assured that if this phorum is that narrow minded I won’t waste your time so don’t waste mine Scott!</HTML>

Jeff King
October 08, 2004 01:55AM
<HTML>Jeff.

Scott is like most of us around here, how like yourself, have detailing business's, which have been successful for 5 years or more.

Those that are not that long in business, still have some tough years ahead.

My point being, that all pro's want the "miracle" bullet, but as we know, there are not that many "miracle's" out there, despite the "sizzle marketing" of many companies, or "guru's" who seem to pop up every week or so.

Most of these "guru's" have either been in the business for a short time, or just decided it was easier to "market sizzle" than work hard.

On this forum, which is unlike some others, and everyone here knows those forums, this forum pretty well covers every issue and concern, at one time or another.

Like yourself, we do tire of answering the same old questions that "customers" ask, but do so, since it part of the "business".

When someone comes on the forum, who is not known, and being known build respect and understanding, most of the "pro's" will take a "stand off and see" attitude.

That is done because of what I said earlier, "man, everyday, I have to deal with uninformed, sizzle brain washed, people", so around here, we tend to challenge the new guy, to find out where they are coming from.

Hope you understand, and I know Scotty personally, he has been to our school, he has a very successful operation and was selected, Detailer of the Year or something like that by Professional Carwash and Detailing magazine.

Welcome to the "real forum for professional detailers", hope you stick around and share your thoughts, findings and ideas with all.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
October 08, 2004 03:34AM
<HTML>Jeff:

What you need to do is alittle research before tackling the job:

1. Find out from the customer where the problem happened so you can contact the road or highway department of the appropriate government agency: State; County or City.

2. Find out what kind of road paint they used: water-based; oil-based or epoxy.

3. Get the name of the manufacturer.

4. Call them and find out what is the best way to remove this type of paint from a painted car finish.

Not all paints are the same; not all government agencies use the same type of paint.

One big supplier I used to represent in the export market in my Export Management Co days was Linear Dynamics in Parsippany, NJ. They make all types of road paint and could give you a great deal of advise and information. However that does you no good unless you know what type of paint you are trying to remove.

This takes time and effort, but it is the professional's way to find a solution to a problem.

For the record, doing 30 to 50 cars a week does not necessarily make one a professional or reflect that they know what they are doing in the business. You might, but have all of your detailers been formally trained? Do watch everything they do on each and everyone of the 30 to 50 cars you do?

Volume does not make one a good detailer.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 08, 2004 04:28AM
<HTML>To my knowledge, thiner is the only way to remove road paint. After speaking to several body shops and paint suppliers, each and every one said laquer thinner.

Clay bar won't work; mineral spirits won't work. Some people have had luck with adhesive remover or the Car Brite road paint wipe (I have yet to try -- Jim ..ahem...)

Bud, calling the gov't agency is the smart way to go but with state workers today, that could take days or even weeks to get a number to call -- especially in NJ. Our state workers here thumb through Avon catalogs while you try to talk to them in person through a smeared up window.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 08, 2004 05:50AM
<HTML>Brian:

I have to disagree with you. You have no idea what the paint is and you are saying just use laquer thinner. That is not sound advise.

Professionals know what they are doing and why before they do it.

What you are suggesting is typical of this industry, to much seat of the pants diagnosis. You know to get solid and informed knowledge.

I have never had any problem calling a government agency especially those that take care of the roads and getting a fast answer.

Or, you can call the road paint companies, they all sell the same type of paint so what one sells another has. As I stated call Linear Dynamics right in your backyard. You might learn something you did not know you did not know.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 08, 2004 06:06AM
<HTML>Bud,

I didn't say to use lacquer thinner but I did say, however, that lacquer thinner is the only solution I'm aware of that will remove road paint -- with the least aggression.

I'm aware that lacquer thinner can be damaging to clearcoats so therefore we all need a solid yet solution.

Maybe I will call Linear -- do you have their phone # ?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 08, 2004 12:01PM
<HTML>Brian,

My multi-line distributor carries the Car Brite road-srtipe -removal-swipes and swears by them?

Anyone else use these? Jim?

Thanks

Mike</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
Car Brite
October 08, 2004 02:59PM
<HTML>I can't find the road stripe remover swipes on the Car Brite site and I don't think I saw it in the literaturesad smiley Anyhwhere else I can find them?</HTML>
Re: Car Brite
October 08, 2004 05:56PM
<HTML>Car Brite Part number is U064, should be availiable from local distrubitors.

I have been using them for a few months now and they work very well, there are some do's and dont's when using them.

1/ Do not use on newly aplied clearcoat finishes.
2/ Do not use on conventional paint finishes.
3/ Do not use on Rubber , Plastic or Vinyl trim.

Label says : Safely removes the following from cured clear coat finishes : Road Paint, Paint Over Spray, Tree Sap, Tar, Bug residue, Urethanes, Adhesives, rubberized under coating.

Brian, I will try and bring some to the expo for you!

Jim.</HTML>
October 08, 2004 06:01PM
<HTML>Ok Jim, thank you

Will be on the look out for them. Detailer or not, sounds like a product every garage should not be without.</HTML>
October 10, 2004 02:02PM
<HTML>Thanks for missing the point completely Jeff. Might I suggest that you re-read my post so as to fully comprehend what it was that I was trying to convey. This topic HAS been discussed (at length) scores of times before in this and many other detailing forums. You can easily access these discussions by using the handy dandy search function each forum possesses and typing "road paint" into the search box BEFORE posting something that was discussed less than a month ago again. See what I was getting at? No need to fly off the handle or start yapping about how many cars your shop processes or how long you have been in business because it is completely irrelevant.
P.S. Welcome to the forum.</HTML>

October 11, 2004 02:25AM
<HTML>I don’t think I misunderstood your post and I don’t think you misunderstood mine. If you didn’t have anything on my post to contribute then like your TV turn the channel. But no you had to be Mr. Smart ass and tell the rookie not to waste your time. Oh but he turned out not to be a rookie he turned out to be a guy that has been in the car business for over 20 years. What is irrelevant is saying that how many cars I do or how long I been in business means nothing. I guess that is the reason that I do these cars in a small town is because I do lousy work. No I think Scott just run into a guy that’s not taking his crap. Like my grandfather told me you tell the character off a man not in the way he treats the President of the company but how he treats the janitor. So next time you think about that poor guy that just wants a little help doing his car or another pro just rember what I hope your mother taught you If you cant say anything nice then keep your big trap shut. A little kindness goes a long way you might try it maybe you could do 50 cars a week Scott.</HTML>

Jeff King
October 11, 2004 03:09AM
<HTML>Bud with all due respect the number of cars does make a difference. You can be the best mechanic in the world but if your prices are so high or no one knows what you do then what matters. I think that talking about the process is great phorum for all of us to contribute. However we are not artist we are business men. Cash flow bottom line and customer service are important. If someone tells me that a drywall man does 50 houses a week I would think that he must be doing something right. I will tell you that quality does matter to me its how I got to where I am but I will also tell you that my bottom line is just as important. I also have self serve car washes and I want my customer to think that they have gotten value for their hard earned money but Im not going to give them 20 minutes to wash their car for a buck just so I can say I have the best quality in town. I do it by having a clean facility with the best products that I can afford. Show me a man that tells me that the number of cars doesn’t matter and I will show you a man that does it for a hobby or a business that in no short order will be for sale or bankrupt. I do respect your contributions but I wonder by some of your post if you have met a payroll on your dime in some time.</HTML>

Jeff King
October 11, 2004 06:03AM
<HTML>Jeff, I don't need to compare businesses with you because I am quite content with my place in this business and where I am in life. Are you? You have now twice brought up how successful your business is. I hope you are successful as you seem to be quite passionate about detailing from the sounds of it. However, I have found in life that the most successful people don't have to tell anyone how successful they are - people can just tell from dealing with them what they are all about. Your argument regarding how many cars one does is flawed in many ways. I have seen shops over the years that process far more than 50 cars a week and do absolutely terrible work but they are cheap and service the "wholesale" market so quality is not job 1. Conversely, I have also seen detailers who service incredible low volumes of cars and make a very comfortable living. If doing 30 - 50 cars a week is your "benchmark" for success then you are setting the bar pretty damn low my friend. Just to satisafy your curiosity I did 7 cars on Friday for a total of $1700.00. How did you do? I have said nothing derogatory to you so I fail to understand why you have such a big problem with me. Long story short - get over it man. Life is too short.</HTML>

October 11, 2004 06:03AM
<HTML>You sound a bit like John Kerry, kind of waffling, I think George Bush calls it.

On your original post to Scott Perkin, who by the way is an excellent businessman and runs one of the best detail shops in Canada you failed to mention in that post how you valued quality.

Your posting emphasized your qualifications based on the number of cars you did per week. Nothing was mentioned about quality.

Thank you for qualifiying your post and indicating that in addition to your high volume you also turn out high quality.

But I still take the position that the number of cars you do has no bearing on your qualifications as a detailer.

Would you mind telling me what formal training you have had in the detail industry? How many of your detailers have been formally trained?

That is a start, in my mind, to determine how qualified a person is to claim they are a professional detailer.

Most detailers who claim to have 5, 10 or 20 years experience in the business really have about 3 to 6 months experience, doing the same thing 4.5; 9.5 and 19.5 years.

In 20 years for example, what one learned back then is completely obsolete for today's cars and paint jobs. So where does that detailer get an updated training?

As for a payroll, do not go there. I have had a payroll for the past 25 years. sometimes with great difficulty. Sometimes where the only ones getting paid were my employees and not me.

Enough said, let us not allow this form to get into person attacks on one another. I sent you the initial reply personally did I not?

What you have to Scott say it personally and not on the forum. No one really cares to read your hostility toward him, only Scott and I am sure if he believes he offended you he will apologize.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
October 11, 2004 05:42PM
<HTML>NOT AGAIN PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT AGAIN !!!!!!</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
October 11, 2004 05:59PM
<HTML>Mr. King:

We have no part in your commentary with Bud and Scotty, can you please keep it between them and yourself. I am not impressed!</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
October 14, 2004 01:31AM
<HTML>I have had great success useing a product made by a local distributer thats about 70 percent D-Limolene ,we also use on high valued vehicles for engine and jam cleaning,also DetailPlus sells plastic scrapers that are the bomb for added productivity....havnt used anything comparable store bought or home made!!For the bad ones I also use the 220 degree steam preasure washer on low setting and..... voila it disappears.. ha ha ha ..also tell your customer to check with there insurance agent to see if comp will cover the damage if no one decides who is responsible....always more profit when insurance pays in my neck of the woods.</HTML>
October 18, 2004 01:33AM
<HTML>easy guys easy,i think jeff does have a point here we did question his savy although i think he jumped on it a little hard.lets get over it im sure he has thing that i want to here anyway.anyone with twenty years in the business is someone i want to here from.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login