Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

dressing exterior trim

Posted by Scott Hessberger 
dressing exterior trim
October 26, 2004 04:12AM
<HTML>What are your preferred methods and products you use.

Great forum keep it going!</HTML>
Re: dressing exterior trim
October 26, 2004 05:17AM
<HTML>Meguiars #38 applied with a spounge.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
October 26, 2004 10:29AM
<HTML>Same here Joe except I use a dish sponge w/handle</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
October 26, 2004 02:23PM
<HTML>I see an ad here on this site for the stuff I use on paint as well as trim, great gloss, restores faded look and probably most importantlyl: lasts through the elements

[www.concoursdirect.com<];
October 27, 2004 01:15AM
<HTML>I use Detail Plus glaze, and Valugard ETR</HTML>
October 27, 2004 01:38AM
<HTML>Try our Trim and Molding, it is for "exterior trim" only.

Put it on before you buff, polish or apply wax, don't worry about it getting on the paint, just "slather" it on.

Do you work.

When done with buffing, polishing, or applying wax/sealant, and doing your final detail, carefully reapply the product, then go about wiping off the final wax/sealant.

When done with that, wipe off the trim, where the Trim and Molding has been applied for a second time.

Two things happen, in most cases, 1. no staining, no discoloring, 2. the "dressing" is cured and very detergent, water resistant.

It is a "dressing", so it is not permanent, but doing it this way, you don't use an excessive amount of product, you don't have to use expensive masking tape, and the finish is one that is a "hard" normal shine.

Saves a ton of time.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
October 27, 2004 04:50AM
<HTML>Many will probably disagree with me but solvent based dressings give me the best results with exterior trim and tires. Depth of color and durability is what it provides for my customers.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 27, 2004 04:54AM
<HTML>And follow Ron's technique about using it before the paint correction and sealing.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
October 27, 2004 05:38PM
<HTML>I'm thankful I found out using Klasse All In One, and optionally topping it with Sealant Glaze, is fine for exterior, hard plastic trim. For a long time I tried all kinds of dressings, cheap, expensive and everything in between. The problem I had with all of them is durability. * In my experience*,they wash off rather quickly and sometimes contribute to making the trim look worse than it did before. Running off and streaking/staining the paint was an issue as well and yes, I followed the instructions to a "tee" and yes, I applied sparingly and was sure to buff the trim piece thoroughly upon application. The same issue would remain even with proper cleaning of the trim prior to going ahead and trying another dressing.

This acrylic Klasse sealant is the answer for me: zero application hassles, nothing but a great moderate gloss to the trim and most importantly to me, the stuff *lasts* with *no* fading or staining. I assume it must be the acrylic nature of this product that contributes to this effect.

I have the stuff on my previous car which now is no longer pampered other than regular washes and sits outside 24/7 and I freshened the trim up twice this year only. This was the car I tried all of those dressings on.

If you prefer a traditional dressing, I found Mothers Back to Black to last longer than similar products for me and when it stained, it was the easiest to remove, just qd/wipe it off the paint.</HTML>
October 27, 2004 06:51PM
<HTML>Great point BILL I too use the same product [KLASSE AIO] with the same result as you expain. It's my little secret

But Meguairs trim dressing work better for me. Have used the mothers product GOOD product but I think Meguairs is a little better.

Great topic !!!!!!!!</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
August 05, 2006 05:06PM
does anyone have Ketch's website address, want to try the exterior dressing for trim and painted surfaces...Thanks in advance....

Sam Robinson
Mike's Mobile Detail Salon
1722 Paris Road suite C
Columbia, Missouri 65202
telephone: 573-356-3037
email: mikes.detail.salon@gmail.com
oli
August 06, 2006 04:43PM
Ron's great
[www.autoint.com]
August 06, 2006 05:49PM
Scott: I've found Meguiar's #40 allows me to do it all with only one product to worry about. The #40 has some cleaning properties, which some other dressings don't have. If you want maximum cleaning action, apply the #40 with a cotton terry rag and then throw away the dirty rag. For wheel wells, I spray it first and use a rag or sponge to move it around for full coverage.
For tires, the quickest way to apply it is with a sponge-type tire dressing applicator and simply let it set without wiping. Speed Secret Alert : On Jeep cladding and other large expanses of vinyl, I use a $1 sponge mop from a dollar store or a Save-A-Lot.

When choosing a dressing, you need to consider speed of application and versatility along with durability, cost, appearance and possible damage to materials.

Griot's dressing is good but expensive. It is silicone-free and might not bond well if applied over a silicone product such as #40.

Griot's and Forever Black bumper dye/restorer products are not dressings and are labor-intensive. They last though and some people use them in place of dressings.

I've tried the Stoner's Trim spray and found it lacked durability and I wasn't sure spray application saved much time.

Link to a NAPDR article : [www.carwash.com]

Hope that fills in some blanks for you...
Doug Delmont
" The world owes you a living but you have to work awfully hard to collect it"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2009 04:44PM by Doug Delmont.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login