Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Novice Questions

Posted by JustinMat 
Novice Questions
November 02, 2004 08:49PM
<HTML>Afternoon folks,

First and foremost, let me explain that I am by no means a professional. I am simply someone that aspires to detail a car (my car) well. My list of products and experience is very limited but I do try very hard and any advice would be so appreciated. Here are my questions:

1. Turtle Wax The Brand - Yay or Nay?
2. Armor All for tire dressing and dash/leather - Yay or nay?
3. How often should you condition your leather?
4. How long should it really take to wax a mid-size car? I drive an 04 Accord.
5. Why not wax before polish? Shouldnt a wash be sufficient and is it recommended to always polish before a wax?
6. I don't understand the concept of "claying". Is it to fill scrapes, act as a polish?</HTML>

V/R
Justin.
Re: Novice Questions
November 03, 2004 12:37AM
<HTML>Hello Justin,

I will do my best to answer what I can, and I am sure others shall also chime in.

1) Turtle Wax is OK. The more important issue is "What are you doing to PREP your cars finish?" On a properly prepped car just about any car wax will make it sparkle and shine. I recommend you get a clay bar to remove any contaminants imbedded in your paint, also look for a paint cleaner/polish. The shelves are full of them and going over them is more in-depth than I can post at this moment.

2) AA is a great tire dressing, one of the better dressings you can purchase at a store. Personally I would not use it on my interior. On my clients cars I use a very low sheen dressing which does not colect or attract dust. AA leaves to glossy of a finish and attracts alot of dust.

3) Two main types of leather. One is Analine leather (leather which has no coating over the pigmented color), which is becoming a rare breed these days in favor of coated or protected leather. The protected leather has a clear coating (much like the clear coating on a cars paint) which is applied over the pigmented coloring. I am almost certain your car has cleared leather. So these leather don't need to be conditioned as often as analine leather BUT this also depends on ones driving habits. The more you drive, enter and exit the car, the more you should condition. Try a water based low sheen dressing like "303". I am sure Bud or Ron also have some nice water-based dressings.

4) To just "wax" a car should only take you about 45 minutes or less.

5) One does not polish before waxing because polishes usuaully contain a cleaner in them. In other words they are designed to remove scratches, swirl marks, oxidation and such and if applied over a wax they will remove the wax. Many detailers use the word "polish" but pour a different meaning into the word so some here may define "polishing" in another way.

6) The purpose of claying is to remove paint contaminants. Is will not fill or remove scratches.

Hope that helps,
Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
November 04, 2004 04:40AM
<HTML>-1) Turtle Wax is OK. The more important issue is "What are you doing to
-PREP your cars finish?"

Anthony,

Thank you for your helpful reply. The wheels seem to spin a little slowly around here but that would make sense since most of the people here seem to be extremely experienced; which in-turn probably means busy. smiling smiley

Since my post I have done a lot of research on various "waxes" that leave a good shine with a long lasting presence. I've come to the conclusion that either Zaino or Meguiers is the way to go for me: at least to try.

Prepping my car?

Well, I never clayed before but I hear a lot about it. I've never "polished" my car, either. It's brand new, btw. A 2004 Accord. Would you be so kind as to take me through the steps of that prep before waxing?

My steps are simple:

1. Rinse for dust/dirt
2. Remove bugs/tar/bird dr
3. Rince again
4. Wash
5. Rince
6. Dry Completely
7. Spray on wax

Obviously I'm very much a novice, but I am doing a lot of research and I'm hoping to actually get better at this, please bear with me. smiling smiley</HTML>

V/R
Justin.
November 04, 2004 10:59AM
<HTML>Your plan sounds like a good one. Personally, if you've narrowed to Meguioars and Zaino, I would tend to lean toward the Meguiars for several reasons:

Primarily, Megs is readily available at nearly any store that carrys automotive supplies. Too, even Meg's most expensive products (at the consumer level and bottle sizes) is fairly (sometimes extremely) inexpensive. Not to mention they have quality products that do as advertised (for the most part when used as directed).

Don't get me wrong, Zaino is a good product and does have excellent durability, but the finish is not as deep or wet as the finish I get with Megs. The mail order bit, I can do without too. If I forget and run out of product, I don't have to wait a week to be able to detail the car, 5 minutes to the parts store and I'm good to go.

If you do decide to go Zaino, here's a bit of advice:

DON'T DAWN WASH, like Anthony will tell you, leave DAWN for the dishes.

PREP is STILL the key. No matter how good the final product is, the car will still look lousy if the prep work is not done (swirl/scratch removal, polishing etc)</HTML>

-ghost of a past detailer
November 04, 2004 01:33PM
<HTML>Ghost,

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I'm a firm believer that you should use a product for it's specific purpose. IE: dish soap should be used for dishes. Someone made an amusing point that they don't wash their hair with laundry detergent -- well, that makes sense! However, the last few days it seems like people Dawn their cars a lot -- why is that? (not very important as I never will, but still curious, and what wash would you recommend?)

Polishing I'm not altogether familiar with, though. What "kind" of polish should I use and at what point do you polish? If you could offer me a prep guide for it I'd be very grateful. smiling smiley</HTML>

V/R
Justin.
November 04, 2004 05:54PM
<HTML>“ I am a firm believer of you should use a product for its specific purpose” ??

As professionals we need to think outside the box. Limiting ourselves…limits our ability to perform and provide service.

Oftentimes that means creative, critical, thinking which might include the use of products and techniques not designed specifically for the auto detailing industry.

In the case of dawn it is a great inexpensive product that can be used to strip waxes, sealants, and oil spills off a vehicle’s paint surface and trim. It also has many other uses in emulsifying oil, gas and grease spills in rear cargo carpeting and flooring.

And yes you can also use it to wash your hair when you need to strip your hair of too much film build up from gels, waxes, and a bad hair dye.</HTML>
November 04, 2004 06:11PM
<HTML>-As professionals we need to think outside the box. Limiting ourselves…
-limits our ability to perform and provide service.

Appreciate the response, sir.

How long do you let it sit to strip the wax?

I did a lot of looking around yesterday and many professionals disagree with the notion of using Dawn. I think I saw somewhere mentioned that it can actually strip layers of paint. Keep in mind, I'm not a professional, so the reason I have decided not to use it was because majority speaking: It's not a product you should use on your car. Some people do, though. Have you ever had a bad experience?

Also, can you provide an answer to my other question regarding polishing?

Thank you,</HTML>

V/R
Justin.
November 04, 2004 09:43PM
<HTML>Rubbing alcohol mix water 50/50 can strip wax also just another alternative instead of dawn. But preping the paint as ANTHONY and others have said is the main ingredient for a GOOD LOOKING finish. Good Luck !!!!!!!!!</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
November 05, 2004 04:11AM
<HTML>Hello again Justin,

The issue of using DAWN may not have started with the release of Zaino products but Sal sure made it front page news with all the enthusiast's.

The idea is that if DAWN cuts grease on pots and pans then it would do the same to waxes and polishing oils on ones paint. But as "New Again" pointed out, a 50/50 mixture of water and ISP will remove waxes. If you clay your car it will also remove any wax on your car. So DAWN IMHO is pointless, it also suds way too much and can be difficult to rinse completely off.

"Polishing" paint is basically a two step process, even though it need be only one product. In other words many polishes not only clean the paint surface but also add depth and color to the paint...this though is because they "level" the paint, there is nothing "added" to the paint. Leveling means that via heat and friction the polish abrades away a micro layer of paint. Sadly though your hand alone cannot generate enough heat and friction to do this. A high speed rotary is needed for this which for right now is not something I recommend you take on.

So about the best you can do by hand is clean the paint and then hand polish the paint, which may remove some light surface marring (although I know several pro's who can do wonders by hand alone). Many polishes act as fillers, which while it may look like it is removing the scratches it is really only filling them or hiding them. Much like foundation make-up does on a womans face. It hides or covers up blemishes. This is only temporary though as the fillers will evaporate and/or wash off soon.

I cannot recommend any Eagle One, Meguiar or Mother's polishes/waxes as I really don't use those lines but I know several pro's here do so I am sure they can speak much more authoritively on them than I can.

Lastly, you can remove all the bugs and such as you wash the car, unless of course they are really bad. You may then need a special bug scrubber, one that will remove the bug residue but not harm the paint.

Hope this helps more than it confuses smiling smiley

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login