Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Changes in "vehicle" surfaces to come.

Posted by Grumpy 
Changes in "vehicle" surfaces to come.
November 09, 2004 02:32AM
<HTML>Jim from the Detailer's Association has provided, recently, an article regarding the changes that are taking place now, regarding the use of "film" in place of paint on vehicle's.

In my "get up to date" discussions with a couple of OEM paint suppliers, plus a couple of "plastic film" suppliers to the OEM's and some companies that produce "plotters" for cutting of plastic films, it got interesting.

I can not, due to privicy agreements, say who these companies are, if I were to do so, I would lose my contacts, the ability to have things such as this, be available to me, so DON'T ASK!

It is predicted, that within the next 7 to 8 years, "painting of a vehicle" as we all know it, will be basically a thing of the past.

Many reasons for this to take place, and it will affect the "detailing" industry, the "bodyshop" industry, IF it comes to pass.

Why do I bring this up, here?

Because, each and everyone in these two industries, need to be thinking about what they are going to do, to be part of the changes, that are coming.

Sort of like the guys in the "electronic's" industry, both OEM and Aftermarket, as the "42 Volt" standard comes into the industry in the next 3 to 4 years.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Re: Changes in &quot;vehicle&quot; surfaces to come.
November 09, 2004 05:07AM
<HTML>I personally have already branched out into windshield repair and am also a soon to be certified Xpel installer.

Plan to get a plotter next.

There will be though plenty of painted cars to detail and work on for years and years to come even if they stop painting cars in 5 years.

Always good to be thinking ahead though!

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
November 09, 2004 08:46AM
<HTML>Have already seen examples of this film from vendors at the Mobile Tech, Trim and Detail Expo in Orlando. Would suggest that anyone interested in seeing what this wave of the future will look like attend the Expo.

What I saw there is not the same exact thing that Ron is speaking of but it is film that is used to change the color of the car. It looks great and is very interesting to say the least.

And, I am with Anthony, even if they start using film instead of paint it will take years to eliminate paint cars. There are over 130 million vehicles in the USA and I believe they junk about 5 million per year. That is a good number of years to prepare yourself for a new profession.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
November 09, 2004 10:43AM
<HTML>Does this mean us detailers will no longer be applying waxes or protectants to this film? What about the wheels and tires? What about all the trim and molding? Will the bumpers have this film? Are they putting the film on the inside of the vehicle also? Will the door jambs still need to be cleaned and protected? What about the carpeting and upholstry? Does this mean that the interiors no longer need to cleaned and dressed? I guess what I'm trying to say is there is alot more to detailing a car than just working on the painted exterior. Until the auto industry comes up with a maintenance free interior and a completely maintenance free exterior, I don't think us detailiers need to worry about finding a new profession. There's always going to be a market for maintaining and protecting a vehicle regardless if it's both the interior and exterior or just the interior with a partial exterior.</HTML>
November 09, 2004 01:25PM
<HTML>Agreed, there will always be work for the industry, just some adjustments may be required.

Not crying "gloom and doom", just sharing some information regarding coming changes in the industry.

As far as is this in use at this time, yes.

Front and rear fasica's since mid 2004 on Neon's have been using the film, with more to come.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
November 09, 2004 02:32PM
<HTML>In reality folks it is a struggle to make on just detailing alone. One can live OK on just the support of detailing but personally I got tired of the down time due to the weather, especially here in South Texas.

So I decided to expand my horizons and this is why I am now doing windshield repair, Invicishield installs and also adding PDR. All of these services can be done rain or shine which is a great plus. My next addition will be interior carpet dyeing, which I have done in the past but now with a more professional system.

Now don't get me wrong, detailing is still where my passion lies BUT passions rarely pay the bills!

I firmly believe that the only detailers around 5 years from now will be the ones who are flexiable enough to change with the times and keep updated on the ever changing technology and materials.

If this film is anything like the 3M film for the clear bras then it does have a clear coat on it and still needs to be cared for with a mild polish and wax. I have heard also that some car makers are doing OEM installs of clear bras and this makes a great money making opportunity for us installers if these car companies decide to contract out. Toyota is coming to San Antonio and I am seeking to contact them about this.

I thank Ron and Bud for giving us some insider heads up.

Anthony</HTML>

November 09, 2004 04:17PM
<HTML>Ron, the Dodge Neon and also the Daimler Chrysler Smart Car , I think there are a few others too, will look them up later and let you know.

There are a bewildering amount of new technologies coming to the market , or on the market already.

I believe the film that Ron is talking about is being developed by several companies , but mainly by GE Advanced Materials. This film is not something that is sprayed on top of the paint but a whole new ball game .

The whole exterior panel is made of plastic , which is then coated with a second plastic film which replaces the clear coat. There are several reasons why the OEM Suppliers are investing heavily in this area.

1/ The plastic molding process is far more flexible than the steel process, allowing designers to create more radical styling features . Plastic is also a lot lighter , critical as manufactureres look to increase fuel economy.

2/ The film gives a far more superior finish than a conventional paint finish, eliminates things such as orange peel and paint runs, not to mention some of the unbelivable "repairs" that the factory sometimes carry out to paint flaws.

3/ Cost. The paint booths at a plant consume about half the total floor space , and are considered the bottle neck of the production process. It is widely believed among the OEM's that no more paint boots will be built when new plants are planned. In the past the price of making plastic panels that matched the paint finish was too high, but as the technology is developed and they iron out the teething problems, it will be more common.
Also, OEM's will be able to redesign the production process, right now they can do almost nothing until the paint is on the vehicle and dried due to the high temperatures required to cure the paint. Saturn kind of pioneered this by building, painting, and then storing the plastic panels while the vehicle was built, then simply adding the panels as and when they were needed. The main advantage is the the OEM's will simply have exterior panels shipped in from a supplier and then installed on to the vehicle. They save on the cost of the paint booths, they save on the cost of the panels, and the labor required to make them.

My thoughts are that is poses more challenges for the body repair industry than it does for detailers, all we need to know is the process for taking care of it and protecting it . The body repair industry will , I guess, just order the replacement parts from the OEM , panels just get replaced instead of repaired.

The uneducated will simply try to take care of this stuff in conventional ways, buffing etc , and probably damage a few vehicles before they catch on, the educated detailer will know what to do before that vehicle even enters his shop. Granted it wont happen over night, but the changes are coming fast.

Jim Hammill.</HTML>
November 09, 2004 04:18PM
<HTML>This film is not like a clear bra material, it is the "actual" color of the car, replaces the paint film.

Look at the new Neon's fascia's, they are this film, not paint.

So don't take a high speed buffer and a cutting pad to them.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
November 09, 2004 07:52PM
<HTML>There are already dramatic changes happening in the detailing industry and their always will be. The difference will be who changes with them and who does not. In my neck of the woods the fuss is all about "going in house" at all the car dealerships. I have seen at least 3 or 4 of the big dealers in my city either "attempt" to go in house or actually do it for not only detailing but paint repairs, paintless dent removal, tinting, fabric repairs - you name it. Some have stuck with it and some give up after a short period of time due to the employee problems inherent with these types of work. I have seen dealers try this in the past but this time seems different for some reason. They seem to really have the resolve to make it happen and stick with it for a while.
This is going to have a dramatic effect on the detailing business if this trend continues as many shops rely on dealer/wholesale work as their bread and butter. I think in the northern climates there are going to be a lot of detailers going under this winter if the weather is as bad as it looks like it might be (we actually had snow yesterday). Those who have prepared for this will survive and probably come back stronger than ever but those who have not are in big trouble.</HTML>

November 09, 2004 11:26PM
<HTML>Ron says ---> "Not crying "gloom and doom"

Darn you beat me to it!! LOL!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
November 10, 2004 02:48AM
<HTML>I have added interior repair to my detailing as well. I sub out the PDR and paint work. Im sure we will here alot of pissing and moaning about the changes, but either keep up with the changing world, or get outta the way. I remember body/detailers bitching about clear coats becoming more common,, instead of the single stage paints. They still buff with 100% wool pads at 3000 rpm. lol. Anthony, what kind of carpet system are you going with? I use water based dyes from Superior Restoration. Thanks</HTML>
November 10, 2004 01:37PM
<HTML>JP,

I am looking at the system Top of the Line offers and will also be checking out the one Bud offers........research is key!

Anthony</HTML>

The
November 23, 2004 09:18PM
<HTML>Don't throw away the buffer. Paints are here for a long time yet. Yes there are some other things(substitutes) in the works, but as Bud says...... painted vehicles will be a major part of yours..and your children's cars. We manufacture paints and our labs are working with the latest technologies invloving such revolutionary concepts as a paint that renders the surface "virtually" frictionless. How will that paint be repaired...how will it be cleaned (or need cleaned at all)...those are the types of future challenges coming along soon. Millions of R & D $ are continuing to be poured into paint technology....... Your job may change...but still be necessary. Detail on my friends!
The Chemist</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login