Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

For What ever its Worth!

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
For What ever its Worth!
December 01, 2004 07:29PM
<HTML>I've been away from the site for awhile,as we have been doing alot of Semi Work. Thus meaning pretty much 90% Aluminium cleaning and polishing.

I read th Collinate 845/Selant on Muffler Thread. Ok now for what its worth,back in July I was working with a Soap Box Derby Car,that made it to to of the major Races in the USA. Ok hurray for us!

The rules won't let you coat the carbon steel axels with any type of paint ,shellac,or poly coating. Clean and wax only,or sealant. The first time I used Bud's Diamond plus,I didn't clean the axels very good and wiped a coat of the sealant on,then back off,and I didn't letting it cure, even to a white haze.

The second time i cleaned the axels getting ready to race at Charleston, West Virginia Inventational Race, I took the time to us my drum buffer that i use on Semi Tractors/Trailers with some Green Oxidizer Cutter,then Finishing with white roughe. I cleaned the cleaned axel off with denatured alcohol,then gave it a heavy coat of Diamond Plus Sealant.

Which I let cure for about 24hrs. I proceeded to remove the Diamond Plus residue with a polishing roller on my air driven drum polisher. The Axel looked like it had come from a Chrome shop. It was a bright as the Aluminum Trailers look, when we finish them.

The next race we attended which was a month later, I was checked very closely,to see if in fact, that we had chromes the axels.

This car was put up with the wheels off, into the cargo trailer that we haul it in to races in. 11/31/04 I got into the trailer, to look for a tool that I had misplaced,and noticed that the axels look exactly like they did, just after the sealant job I did.

Question I'm asking is, did the sealant do as it is suppose to, and seal out moisture,and air?????? Apparently so!

Thus eleminating any surface rust! I did go back after reading some threads on the forum,and wipe the axels off with a new microfiber towel (white) to see if there was any surface rust,and there wasn't.

No I don't have Stock in Bud Abrahams Company, nor Ron Ketchums Company, but it appears to me that their products do as they say!

P.S. The axels were also just as slick, as the day I buffed the cured Diamond Plus off.
These axels were exposed to a pour down rain after the original polishing treatment in Northern Ohio, I merely wiped them down with a dry Microfiber towel,and nothing else was done chemically, to eleminate or prevent the surface rusting. Buds Diamond Plus is very good,whether its painted,chromed or just plain Carbon Steel...........Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Sealant on Mufflers
December 03, 2004 12:13AM
<HTML> Read For What ever its worth! I don't know, like I said, if its worth too much, but Diamond Plus cured on, and Buffed off, bare High Carbon mild steel is still keeping the surface rust off............. Brandy !</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login