Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

chamois

Posted by Jerry Slater 
chamois
December 03, 2004 02:03AM
<HTML>I'm wondering what everybody uses for drying their cars after washing. Myself, I use a lambswool chamois. Is there anything better?</HTML>
Re: chamois
December 03, 2004 02:53AM
<HTML> Micro Fiber toweling, ask the guys on this forum,as several sell different types,manifacturers,and grades. This product is very good,and also very forgiving...................... brandy !</HTML>
December 03, 2004 03:04AM
<HTML>The ABSORBER and WAFFLE WEAVE TOWELS</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
December 03, 2004 04:53AM
<HTML>Jerry, New is right,I had forgotten the waffle weave, mine are of the Microfiber variety,and does a very good job. Watch them around sharp edges like you would any good chamois, and they will last a very long time. I also wash and dry mine as well. I use HE liquid to wash the toweling in ,and "NO BLEACH" will last a long time............... Brandy !</HTML>
December 03, 2004 03:16PM
<HTML>What is a lambs wool chamois? The only chamois I have ever seen are either natural lambskin or synthetic lambskin, but no wool on them?

I would recommend better than chamois; towels or squeeges our new AIR WAND which will dry a car in seconds without touching the car's surface. See it at www.detailplus.com and click on AIR WAND

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
December 03, 2004 03:16PM
<HTML>What is a lambs wool chamois? The only chamois I have ever seen are either natural lambskin or synthetic lambskin, but no wool on them?

I would recommend better than chamois; towels or squeeges our new AIR WAND which will dry a car in seconds without touching the car's surface. See it at www.detailplus.com and click on AIR WAND

Bud Abraham

buda
December 03, 2004 04:00PM
<HTML>
You can go to sears and buy a blower/vac and get he same results that BUD sells for around $100.00</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
December 03, 2004 04:10PM
<HTML>I use a Water Sprite, I think that its the best syn.chamois out there . You can find them at NAPA.</HTML>
December 03, 2004 04:19PM
<HTML>New:

You are incorrect in your assumption that a leaf blower will do the same job as the AIR WAND.

The difference is that the typical leaf blower works on the principle of "air volume." That is, the opening on the end of a typical leaf blower is large and blows a high volume of air out the end to blow away very "light" leaves, and for that purpose it works fine.

However, trying to use volume to blow much heavier water off of a car it will not work as well as a towel or chamois. In order to use such a device you would have to generate much more air volume than such a device can provide.

The AIR WAND, however, uses a 200 mile per hour velocity blower, top of the line, WEEDEATER Blower. The wand itself is aerodynamically designed by an aeronautical engineer and literally shoves this high velocity air thru a very small opening, in this case about 1/8" wide by 22" long creating, PRESSURE, which is how you get the striping action of water off the car's surface.

So what we have is a situation of a typical leaf blower using volume, which is not sufficient to quickly blow water off the car vs the AIR WAND device that turns that air volume into high pressure air.

If you would care to challenge this explanation please come to the Mobile Tech & Detail Expo with your typical leaf blower and I would be happy to have a "blow-off" with you.

Regards
Bud Abraham

buda
Re: chamois VS Microfiber
December 03, 2004 06:33PM
<HTML>What I understand and been told my many,is that the chamois will remove the wax/sealant coat when using it to dry,and the Microfiber won't, is this a true statement, or just another Pipe Dream.
Wayne can you answer this,as you seem to be the Microfiber Guru..Brandy!

Then How can you tell that the Chamois is truly removing the sealant/wax off the finish. Glossometer ?? How???</HTML>
December 03, 2004 06:45PM
<HTML>Sounds like a myth to me. Certainly, any friction via towel; chamois, micro fiber towel will remove some of the wax on the surface as does the carwash mitt or sponge used to wash the car.

Sounds like a chemical distributor story with no real basis in fact.

However, the AIR WAND eliminates any of these concerns.

Bud Abraham

buda
December 04, 2004 01:47AM
<HTML>I mispoke myself as Bud caught. I meant lambskin chamois, not lambswool.
I had lambswool on my mind because I've been waiting for Top of the Line to get washmits in for sometime now. I have never tried a waffle towel before. I'll have to try one before I can give my opinion. As far as blowing the car off after a wash, I have tried it. I do like this method because it's the easiest and fastest way. But, better yet I like getting down there face to face with the paint close up when I'm drying it to see any small imperfections.

Now to reply to Eric when you said "Then How can you tell that the Chamois is truly removing the sealant/wax off the finish. Glossometer ?? How???" This goes back to a question I brought up in an earlier thread. How do you know your wax or sealant is protecting your finish other than beading, glossing, or going by what the manufactors tells you is the "lasting time" of the product?

jer</HTML>
December 04, 2004 02:18PM
<HTML>Jerry, this is what I've told my customers on when to do a full detail again,as conditions will vary for each of them. What I've read on different folks doing testing, be it either under laboratory conditions or home shop experiments, they all seem to come up talking about 12-15 washings of the vehicle. Now most people do one a week, so that would make it about 3 months worth right? I just tell my customers to come back and see me for another full detail every 3-4 months,depending on when they can get them to me. I just tell them, that the Pro's that I get my info from that do all of the testing,say the chemicals will last about that long depending on conditions of the everyday driver, and how many times they get the vehicle washed. You may want to take a look see at the Article/Thread that I put in this forum "For What Ever its Worth". This wasn't an experiment of any sorts, but it does show the protection that Diamond Plus will give, or at least thats my take............................. Brandy !</HTML>
December 04, 2004 07:29PM
<HTML>Well guys, I just couldn't stay out of this discussion.

Years ago I discovered spme man made chamois that I've come to view as incredible and indespensible when it comes to drying vehicles. I won't even attempt to dry a car without one. You all have probably seen them at sometime or another in your travels. They are frequently advertised on TV or often sold at car shows and county/state fairs. They are usually yellow/gold in color (but I've seen some some that are blue). I believe they are made in Germany. They are often advertised to be a wonder or miracle cloth. When used in conjunction with a dry microfiber towel, the result is tremendous.

As I said, when it comes to soaking up water, they are incredible! They are easily four times faster and more efficent than a leather chamois. They act very much like a damp sponge and just plain suck up water as you it go.

To use one, first wet it down, then squeeze it out. Now, just drag the cloth across any wet surface and watch the water disappear. While soaking up heavy concentrations of water, or should you have a very soaked cloth, it may leave a thin trail of moisture behind as you wipe. But don't fret, just quickly follow up with a quick swipe from a dry microfiber towel and your done! That's it! No streaks, no wasted motion, no wasted time and better yet, no scratches. You are left with a beautiful spot and lint free surface. Works every time!

In addition, the cloths can be washed time and time again. I always wash mine in the cloths washer. And unlike leather chamois, dirt and grease easily washes out of them. But what's even better, they seemingly last forever. I just threw one away that I'm certain I used for at least 10 years (and it was used a lot).

I don't know of a direct supplier, but like I said, watch for them at home and car shows, county and state fairs and the like. Vendors always play up how they soak up so much water (and that they do well). I recently found a company selling some on eBay (do a search on "German Chamois", "chamois" or "miracle cloth"). In my book, they are worth every cent! I think you will, too!</HTML>

TheSubaruNut
December 04, 2004 10:53PM
<HTML>Synthetic chamois materail has been available in the USA market for years. Automatic carwashes were using them in the late 70's and early 80's when they reduced the size of the air dryers and put in what are called "Shammy Driers" after the air dryer which were a series of curtains that had synthetic chamois on the ends of the curtain that moved over the car taking off any excess water.

If anyone is interested in obtaining some of these I can source them for you, although we do not nomrally offer them since we believe the AIR WAND to be a more effective and faster way to dry a car, and with no chance of scratching.

Let me know, after 35 years in this business there is not much that I have not seen.

Bud Abraham

buda
December 04, 2004 10:53PM
<HTML>Synthetic chamois materail has been available in the USA market for years. Automatic carwashes were using them in the late 70's and early 80's when they reduced the size of the air dryers and put in what are called "Shammy Driers" after the air dryer which were a series of curtains that had synthetic chamois on the ends of the curtain that moved over the car taking off any excess water.

If anyone is interested in obtaining some of these I can source them for you, although we do not nomrally offer them since we believe the AIR WAND to be a more effective and faster way to dry a car, and with no chance of scratching.

Let me know, after 35 years in this business there is not much that I have not seen.

Bud Abraham

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login