Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

steam

Posted by dave rosh 
steam
December 08, 2004 12:12AM
<HTML>i need some advice guys,im loking at buying a vapor master 3000 or the steam cleaner top of the line sells ,is anyone using these and are they comparible.also would i still need a extractor if i have a steamer.</HTML>
Re: steam
December 08, 2004 02:19AM
<HTML>Hi Dave

I just took a look at the steamers Top of the Line sells. Their lowest price is $750.00? Wow! I would like to have a steamer for cleaning certain things in and around the car, but I can't afford one for that price. I suppose if I had one it would work great for engines, door jambs, tar, and stains the carpet.
To answer your second question, yes of course you need an extractor. These are two separate tools completely. I'm interested in what you are planning on using the steamer for? If it's for carpets, think about this;

Water boils at 212dg.
The steamer T.o.t.L. sells says it's tip reaches 220dg.
A good extractor will work at 200dg. or hotter. The extractor is capable of putting the hot water into the material being cleaned at a "pressured rate". This blasts the stain. Then immediately behind the "blast" along comes this sucker to pull out the water and hopefully the stain too. The steamer is not set up to suck. Hope this helps.

jer</HTML>
December 08, 2004 02:21AM
<HTML>Dave,

I use the TOL steamer and it works great. No problems with it so far.

I highly recommend an extractor even if you have a steamer because the dirt needs to be extracted from the carpet or fabric as it is emulsified by the steamer. If you don't rinse and extract the area being cleaned then you're just leaving the dirt and grime behind.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Dan
December 09, 2004 04:03AM
<HTML>Dave, I bought a steamer a while ago after the good things mentioned here on this forum. I dont want to mention the company, but it was a good unit, cost $800, and to tell you the truth, I was a little angry about its performance and wish I saved the money. Detailing with it took longer causing me some frustration as opposed to the old fashioned way, chemical, brush, and towel. Unless you have a shop I wouldnt bother. For me, Im mobile, so by the time I got it ready and warmed up, i could have had half of the interior cleaned.</HTML>
December 10, 2004 01:52AM
<HTML>It took me 3 years to figure out the best way to use my vapor steam unit with just the right chemical touch....during the winter there great not to get the interior too wet...like any part of your arsenal you must find ways to maximize its potential....trial and error!!!PS forget it for engines unless you have a lot of time Ha ha ha</HTML>
December 10, 2004 02:46AM
<HTML>Ya ditto what mel said.
Had mine 4 years now but it only took me 2 years to learn to master it lol But get a good extractor with a heater and the proper wands to boot .I have three, a low profile for carpets ,mats and under seats,a dripless long crevice for tight spots and a dripless for uphostery.</HTML>
Dan
December 10, 2004 02:57PM
<HTML>I dont have three years to make something work, no offense. It either works or its trash!!</HTML>
December 11, 2004 02:52PM
<HTML>I love my steamer! I t works great and as for "warm up time".....I first look over the interior and if it looks as if it needs the steamer I'll set it up and allow it to warm up (10 minutes max.) while I perform other tasks, such as vacuuming and removing mats, trash, etc.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
December 11, 2004 03:30PM
<HTML>.I have to agree with anthony and i don,t have to wait the 8 whole minutes as i have a 1750 watt inverter in my van i bought this spring so its ready when i get to the site. .Dan, i,m sure mel was joking like me it does take time to master, but so does a rotary or any thing.

You certainly don,t need a steamer to detail..... but it sures helps lol</HTML>
December 11, 2004 04:05PM
<HTML>Dave,
Ive been using my extractor for most jobs and it works well, however for the really bad stain I use a 'Shark professional', it's not the top of the line of the steamers on the market but for approx $150.00 it does the job on carpets, door jamb and hard to reach spots on the engine. They have a web site at www.sharkcompany.com

Good luck,

Big Ben</HTML>

Blk97Dakota
December 12, 2004 03:14AM
<HTML>If you purchase the right steamer and use a steamer "correctly", it will increase your overall detail by doing a better job in all interior areas. We have been using steamers for five years and our details are far better with the steamers than with just an extractor. We have both extractors and steamers and if I had to give up one, it would be the extrator in a heartbeat. Utilizing the steamer not only offers us better results within our details, it saves us time...lots of time, its just faster and getting the vents and nooks of the dash is simple and takes a fraction of the time.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login