Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DETAILING SEMINARS

Posted by Jerry Slater 
DETAILING SEMINARS
December 30, 2004 02:59AM
<HTML>Hi all.

I am planning on attending the seminar to see Bud speak and also the carwash show the next day in Novi. This is my first time and I'm wondering what to expect. I hope the detailing seminar isn't a plug for Detail Plus Appearence Systems. I'm hoping to get a lot of useful information. Is this classroom setting or what?

Also, the Carwash Expo.... I expect a lot of vendors and new products to browse and purchase. Anyone like to throw in their two cents about what to expect?

And for Bud, when is the cut off time for purchasing tickets. I am planning the time off, but have a few time constraints to deal with. Also, does the offer of $25 off the seminar price if you are a member to this forum still stand?

jer</HTML>
Re: DETAILING SEMINARS
December 30, 2004 02:40PM
<HTML>I have seen Bud in action last year at his seminar at the Mobile Tech Expo and I don't recall him bringing up his company's products once. All in all I would say that it is money well spent for the average guy in the detailing business. I'll be in Novi for the seminar too as will some other well respected detail business owners.</HTML>

Re: DETAILING SEMINARS
December 30, 2004 03:31PM
<HTML>Jerry:

Thanks for the post, to add to what Scott stated, the purpose of the Detailing Seminar is not a forum for DETAIL PLUS to sell products, but to provide needed education for the detailer or person considering entering the detail industry.

If you look at the topics for discussion you will see they are more "educational" in nature than product oriented. There is a session on "Tools of the Trade" and the purpose of this session is to familiarize detailers with what new equipment and supplies concepts are out there.

Please checkout the topics on the seminar at www.detailplus.com and scroll down to Training Seminars where you will find the info sheet on the seminar.

Yes, the $50 fee stands, but we need you to register in advance to receive the discount.

The flyer has a registration form on it that you can fill out and mail in.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Portor Cable 7424 Polisher
March 15, 2005 02:58AM
<HTML> Been reading and hearing so much about the 7424 polisher, want to know what all the hype is about? Thinking about buying one, what assec would in need for this item, backing plate pads etc, any replys thanks.</HTML>

parttime detailer
Re: Portor Cable 7424 Polisher
March 15, 2005 03:55AM
<HTML>Do you know the difference between a "polisher" and a "buffer"?

Do you know the different ways that either are used and what for?

Do you know the differences between "pads', not what some marketing on an enthusist's website promotes, but the "real" difference, and how to use them, when?

A P/C is a very useful tool, for a professional detailer, but not one used to remove most imperfection, it is a "polisher".

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
<HTML>Ketch is right on the money here.

The "PC", as this model is commonly referred to,can do a decent job on finishes that are in very good condition. I understand some even chose to use it as a follow up to their rotary work.

Pads come in a variety of sizes. The most common sizes, I'd say, used with the PC range from 7" diameter down to 4"-for spot jobs. The appropriate backing plates for each size must be used with each.

Very basically there are 3 broad categories of pads designed for different processes. They are : cutting, polishing and finishing pads. Most commonly, foam pads designed for each of these purposes are used with the PC.

You must carefully evaluate the defect in the finish before selecting pad type, choosing the least aggressive type first. Sometimes when more involved polishing is required, and understanding using a PC is no guarantee they will be totally eliminated, a cutting pad, followed by a polishing pad , followed by a finishing pad may be needed. Approaching acceptable results in a process like this using a PC will take quite a long time, making a PC ineffective, especially in an environment where time constrains ts are an issue.</HTML>
Re: Porter Cable 7424 Polisher
March 15, 2005 04:07PM
<HTML>QUESTION:

If a d/a or orbital cannot correct a paint finish problem like scratching, oxidation, etc. If it cannot remove swirls, other than fill them in then why use one, other than to apply wax or sealant.

If you read carefully the posts of many of the detailers on the forum who use a d/a or orbital you will note that they always "couch" their replies with a comment that the paint finish has to be in "good condition."

The way I see it if you have a paint finish problem or you have swirls it is necessary to use a high speed buffer at lower speeds to correct these problems permanently.

If you are unsure then maybe you should use a d/a or orbital.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
<HTML>Some even follow the rotary with a PC, if , for nothing else, fun</HTML>
Re: Porter Cable 7424 Polisher
March 15, 2005 09:08PM
<HTML>We love the Porter Cable and when used with the correct pad/product combo we can improve paint finishes without simply filling...we can "remove" swirls or light scratches. Now with that said...this piece of equipment does not tackle heavy duty jobs but that is why we have a rotary. As Bill Doyle highlighted...we use both the rotary and the Porter Cable as a system.

If a finish has micro scratches/swirls why use a rotary when you don't need it and all you are doing is whereing down the clear? I professionally feel the Porter Cable within that situation is safer and much better for the paint! I see many detailers pulling out the high speeds when its simply not needed and I see many detailers using the Porter Cable when they really need a high speed...justification for higher education is what it is...go gain knowledge from a reliable sourse all you newer detailers!

We have a private training this weekend and I will snap some before and after shots for those that have interest in what is possible using the PC solo or within a system.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
<HTML>Way to go Mr. Doyle! smiling smiley</HTML>
Re: 7424 Polisher vs alcohol rag and Mag Glass
March 15, 2005 11:38PM
<HTML>Renny, your right,and I agree it's all about education!

We had a cusomer come in to pick up their rig who also owns a Benz,and was complaining about spider webbing that they had just noticed,since they last washed their car,or had it washed. No Us :-) !

Anyway one of my guys got out the 7424 and with some Micro fine, started going back and forth buffing his little heart out! Walah ! 10 minutes later,he was bragging about how the Sider Webbing was gone! I got out my alcohol rag, and Magnifier Glass,that I got off Buda,and after wiping off with the alcohol rag, and wiping off haze the spider webbing was still there.

Ok, I know what your gonna say! Wrong Pad, well it was a fine compounding pad,and i also put one on my Rotorary,using same micro compound,and made a few passes,and then the alcohol rub down and the webbing was gone, or leveled enough that it was difficult to see with the Mag Glass, and it couldn't bee seen with naked eye,in shop light or natural light.

How much clear did I remove I don't know, probably all the more reason the get an ETG.

I personally think that the "RA's" reguardless of who's they are,and be they air, or electric do a very good of putting the product on,and good to buff it off,as long as you are not trying to level for correction. This was the point I made to my employee.

I did give him an "AttA Boy" for being self motivated, to do what he did,as he didn't know the alcohol trick, and hasn't had but very little experience buffing,but is learning quick.

I learned the alcohol wipe down trick off this forum,and saw it in one of Buds training tapes or heard it discussed,so not me reinventing the wheel...................Brandy !</HTML>
March 16, 2005 12:14AM
<HTML>One of the first times that the alcohol and wipe was used by me, was when I was at Finish Kare.

Floyd kept going on about how a new polish he had developed was the best thing since sliced bread, removed all light mars, swirls, etc.

Thought a minute, walked over to a bottle of 70% IPA, put a spray head in the bottle, sprayed the area he had just polished with the "super-duper" magic polish.

Let it set about 30 to 45 seconds, then gently wiped it off with a clean baby diaper and let it finish drying.

Awww gee, the marring and swirls were still there!

He was not a happy camper.

We have taught this technique for years, as a way to check the work, no matter who's product, but to assure that as much as humanly possible, everything is removed that needs to be.

Of course, when polishing, not compounding, you are not going to remove the .3 mil limit.

Ketch</HTML>

<HTML>Ketch,

Yes, I always go over my passes with the IPA mix and yes, I've been rather disappointed at times and my work wounded up taking a lot longer than I originally thought. I even use it after working with a rotary. Now that I know what the alcohol test can reveal, I will never attempt a detail without having it on hand.

You had an excellent write up here a while back on the specific procedure using the IPA mix.</HTML>
March 16, 2005 01:32AM
<HTML>Guess the, lets see, now going on 44 years of polishing cars, painting cars, welding metal, running lead, slinging bondo, etc, learned a little bit.

Don't really paint anymore, except for a few test panels, but still keep looking for ways to improve the processes of detailing.

This industry's "tech people", for the most part today, are really good at marketing and using a computer, but find very few who actually know as much about the processes as the people they are trying to sell, know.

Ketch</HTML>

March 16, 2005 01:39AM
<HTML>We have a guy in Calif that is a hacker...Mark something products and just trash mouths everyone. We were detailing at a clients home doing a black H2 and jerk boy was directly acorss the street working on a Black Surburban...two of us...he was solo.

He was finished while we were still on our final step. Potty mouth boy was ragging pretty hard about how slow us "old" guys were...needless to say my comment was that when you do it correctly it takes time.

He was on cloud nine about how much better his Mark something was doing...I asked him if he minded if I checked his work out and of course his mouth was running and invited me to check out a pros work. I washed my hands...dabbed a little IPA and did one soft wipe...now this is direct sun and he nearly puked...blammed me for adding swirls to the surface. I shared this little act with him and he was amazed that our job had no imperfections...I might be old but I am not as dumb as I looksmiling smiley

We did a second detail at the same location and he was still high speed polishing when we left...

Man I hope he reads this...you know who you are pretty boy!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
Dan
March 18, 2005 12:48AM
<HTML>Renny, that is so awesome!!! Little bastards!!!

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
March 18, 2005 01:06AM
<HTML>Dan it was great to see this guy panic! I am in our Calif office once a month and our guys said that he has really been keeping low...not that he could get much lower. All you pros know the type...gives a phone bid, undercuts you and then hicks the price because of issues...I call it short timers tude!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login