Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

white oxidation?????

Posted by 1991Mazda-626 
white oxidation?????
February 09, 2005 10:18PM
<HTML>I found this site and figured there had to be an expert or two that could help with my problem. I just purchased my grandmother's '91 Mazda 626. (Blue in color)

I thought that the paint had faded on the roof and hood. Just a few minutes ago, I used my finger nail and scratched at the white "Foggy" material on the paint. To my surprise, the blue was just under the white.

My question is this: What product and/or technique should I use to get my "Granny Mobile" back to it's shinning self? Please advise.</HTML>
Re: white oxidation?????
February 09, 2005 10:18PM
<HTML>Thanks for your help!</HTML>
February 09, 2005 10:19PM
<HTML>sdf</HTML>
February 10, 2005 02:22AM
<HTML> If your finger nail broke thru the clear,and into the base,you'll new to sand/strip down and repaint. The finish is 14/15 years old now, probably exposed to elements,and not properly protected. So the moral to this story,take it to a good body shop for a look see,and get at least 2 good estimates from a reputably body shop,and see what they say!..Brandy!</HTML>
February 10, 2005 03:01AM
<HTML>Until late 1994, the vehicle, built in Flat Rock, Mi was built by Auto Alliance, a joint venture by Ford and Mazda.

The "paint supplier", was PPG, but not American PPG material, nor was it applied by the standards that PPG America required.

Rather it was done by the Japanese paint application standards, which did consider the amount of UV exposure, nor our countrie's wide spread enviormental contamination exporsure.

This came to a head in early 1994, and the process, plus the way that the plant provided shipping protection to Mazda vehicles-IE, 626 and the MX6 models, was changed. The Ford Probe model produced there, had the same paint system applied, but Ford required a more accepted "enviormental" protection be applied.

Which is why, other than "red" Probe's produced there, (red's at the time did not have a clear applied, or some blue's, all blacks", and do exhibit "extreme fading if not cared for)

In short and sweet, for a response, "your clear is toast", and there is no magic polish, wax, sealant or detailer that can make the broke down clear on your car be new again.

Like said, it will require a total strip down and refinish.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 10, 2005 04:26AM
<HTML>In other words the magic product to make your ride look like new again is PAINT!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
February 10, 2005 05:53AM
<HTML>What no one has suggested to you is that this paint might be a single stage paint.

So, what I suggest is that you take a white towel and alittle wax and rub it over the finish. If it is a clear you should get no blue. If you get blue on the rag it very well could be a single stage paint. Try the faded horizontal surfaces as well as the sides with this test.

If it is a single stage paint then you could buff this out or have it buffed out by a professional detailer.

If it is, in fact, a clear then as stated by some of the posters here it is probably to far gone to redeem.

But then again, you might take it to a body & paint shop and let them check it out.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login