Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Help! Strange spots on car

Posted by Anne333 
Help! Strange spots on car
February 11, 2005 07:22PM
<HTML>On the hood of my red car, there are two big white spots and a few smaller spots. Have no idea what it is. It's only on the hood and nowhere else. I tried getting them off with a regular wash, but couldn't. I tried goof-off (pondered that solution for a while!) and that didn't remove it either. Then, I took it to a very reputable detailer in town for help. They took a look at it, didn't know what it was, attempted to hand-buff, but that didn't work. They said their shop wouldn't attempt to remove it. I purchased some Mother's Clay bar system, where you spray the instant detailer and then use the clay. I tried this on a small portion of the spot. It seemed to, at least, begin to remove the spot, but I tried it only on a very small part. My question: Is clay safe to use on a large area? These spots are about 3 inches in diameter. I have pictures I can email, if anyone would like to help me. Any other solutions as to how to remove these spots? Nobody seems to know what the spots are. Thanks!</HTML>
Re: Help! Strange spots on car
February 11, 2005 07:26PM
<HTML>I suggest, if no one has looked closely at the condition, to use a 30X lighted magnifier.

This must be adjusted, and then placed directly on a spot, then fine adjusted.

Look closely to see if there is any cracking or other degradation of the paint.

If you see cracking or "bubbles" in the paint, no clay bar or buffing is going to correct, only refinishing.

If no cracking or bubbles in the paint, then it is safe to assume you may attempt to high speed buff, with compound to remove the spots, followed by buffing with a polish.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 11, 2005 07:59PM
<HTML>Anne333,

Please email me some pics of the spot. It can be a number of things.

In your email, include the: year, make, model and environmental conditions and if the car is outdoor most of the time or garaged. What city are you in too?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 11, 2005 08:27PM
<HTML>Thanks Brian! I have forwarded the pics.

2002 Ford Mustang
Virginia

Since I have a show car that's in the garage, this car is in the driveway.

It was 70 degrees here for a few days and then it was about 30 degrees and an inch of snow. Then, back up to the 60's.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks again!</HTML>
February 12, 2005 01:39AM
<HTML>From experience I have found that white spots in red paint could be caused from some type of acid that becomes airborne from a number of different sources such as fertilizer plants; cement plants; refineries, etc.

When the IFO lands on the paint and gets wet from rain it simple eats it's way through the clear if the car has a clear and causes spots as you are indicating.

When I have time I will look for some source materials I have some Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint Company that lists what types of acids cause what types of spots on what colors of paints. It also lists sources of these types of acids. Very excellent information.

Maybe Ron K with his "in" with all the automotive paint companies can get you a more recent update of this materail. Mine is about 5 to 7 years old.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 12, 2005 08:15AM
<HTML>Anne,

From the looks of the spots on the paint and the location, it looks like someone hit your car and left their paint on there. Now this is just what I'm getting from looking at the pic.

If some came off with the clay bar like you said, and from the looks of it the marks are squared off like how paint breaks off -- then my guess would be it's transfer paint from the other car. Maybe someone hit it with their door? Is there a dent there?

I'm just curious why the detailer couldn't get it off if it was transfer paint -- and you got some off with the clay bar. Try some clearcoat compound from an auto parts store and rub back and forth carefully with a terry towel. If it starts to fade then it's most likely transfer paint.

If that doesn't work, take it to another detailer or body shop and have them do what Ron recommended with paint magnifier.

Keep us posted!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 12, 2005 08:16AM
<HTML>Interesting, I just reread the posts an you said hood. The picture looks like it's on the driver's side fender right above the wheel well. Is this right?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 12, 2005 07:24PM
<HTML>Hey Brian,

Yep, it's the hood of the car. Pretty nasty spots, huh? I've been working on it since 9am (it's now after 2pm). I definitely think it's some kind of chemical, so Bud may be right. I've used so many products on it. I did finally get the spots off and now I have to polish, etc, etc. It's slow going as I don't have a lot of energy (due next month), but it's definitely worth the work to get them removed. I've been really worried that each day would be the day it eats past the clear coat and paint. When it's finally finished, I'll send "after" pics. Thanks for everyone's help!</HTML>
February 12, 2005 07:25PM
<HTML>If original base clear, built in Dearborn, has Dupont OEM material on it, 1K clear was used, melamine crosslinked system.

Should find total film build from a low of 4.2 to 5.3, depending on area of hood.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 13, 2005 03:40PM
<HTML>Ketch,

Thanks for the info. That's good to know!

Brian,

I checked it this morning and the spots have not returned. I'm keeping my eye on it. After I was done, I took it back to the detailer who wouldn't touch it and they offered me a job! Said I did a tremendous job. Always great to get approval from your peers. Will send the "after" pics tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's help!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login