Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Accidentaly wet sanded hood.

Posted by manoman 
Accidentaly wet sanded hood.
February 14, 2005 08:05PM
<HTML>Accidentaly wet hand sanded some part of the hood, did not do any proper sanding. Now just see dry lines about 2 inches wide running down the hood. Those are the sanding marks. They are dull (no shine/gloss). I tried 3M Finish resotrer but it only made it a little better, but the marks are still noticlbe very. How can i get rif of the ssanding marks. I thinkinh about using rubbing compund with a buffer machine (orbital)</HTML>
Re: Accidentaly wet sanded hood.
February 14, 2005 08:33PM
<HTML>If you removed excessive film build, be it a clearcoated or single stage finsh, you are not going to have much luck, as you may be in the "sponge" or soft part of the film and things will just get duller and duller as you go.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
February 14, 2005 10:53PM
<HTML>Accidently wet sanded a hood! That could happen! I ACCIDENTLY changed all my money into singles and spent them at our local nudie bar. OOPS!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
February 15, 2005 01:25AM
<HTML>How exactly does one "accidentally" wet sand their car? I have accidentally puked in my mom's flowerbed when I was a teenager, I have accidentally slept in late and so on and so on but wet sanding my paint - that's a stretch.</HTML>

February 15, 2005 02:21AM
<HTML>Hey, Joe,
Hey, Scotty,

This may very well be the same old, "use of put up another's name", in order to create a way to present a "let me tell" you sort of thread.

Yeah, this may be like the use of "another name", as we have seen, in order for some other person, to "offer expert advice", or attempt to "show the newbies" the way to a website, and try to sell some product.

But, then again, this is a site for "pro's" and the internet, does bring in some serious request for assitance.

Who know's, I am just like you two, and only attempted to present some professional advice, so let's see what happens.

It could be fun.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 15, 2005 02:38AM
<HTML>More info would b needed to offer specific suggestions, but it may be that u used a sandpaper grit which was too coarse. We need to know this and anyother info u can share. If the paper was too coarse, u need to step up the grits, so u use a finer and finer grit untill u get to 1500 grit. Then u can buff with a compound to restore gloss. The risk u run, is possibly sanding or buffing thru the clear coat, then things get even worse. U could go to a body shop with an electronic paint thickness gage / meter and they can evaluate & "finish" the job one way or another. Good Luck!</HTML>
February 15, 2005 06:34AM
<HTML>i was trying to remove bird dropping with a 1200 grit sandpaper. The hood was already wet from the rain, so i sanded, but not carefully, like in a carefree motion up and down, got the droppings off, but after it got dry, there were dull sanding marks going down the hood. I think i will compund it. and buf it. Is this ok?</HTML>
February 15, 2005 07:24AM
<HTML>When you compound out sanding scratches you want to sand out sanding marks put there under CONTROLED sanding. The surface should have been washed properly first. Then using a sanding backing pad, sand the finish with water (mixed with a dash of soap) to lubricate the area.

Use light to medium pressure and allow the paper to cut.

You may have deep scratches and who knows what else from the way you inappropriately attempted to remove bird dropping.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
February 17, 2005 02:13AM
<HTML>Buffing with a compound should do the trick. I think u need to use a rotary buffer to get these scratches to buff out. U will need to apply compound several times to bring it up to a proper shine.</HTML>
February 18, 2005 10:49PM
<HTML>I did this to my now-totalled friend's car, and I was able to save it. I used to harsh of a sandpaper without enough water, and I could see the dry scratches. What I did was use some I think mostly polish and the marks disappeared. It depends on how deep the marks are though. I got lucky! I'd personally start with the nicest compound (like polish) and work up from there.

Good luck!
Anne</HTML>
October 31, 2009 06:27PM
buffing is a process wet sand then you use a compound with a wool pad then a wax with a wool pad then a polish with a foam pad then hand wax it you should never wet sand a car if you dont know what your doin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login