Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

black streak remover

Posted by Superior Shine 
black streak remover
February 15, 2005 04:55AM
<HTML>We are doing allot of RVs and travel trailers that have black streaks coming down from the tops.

I have a gut feeling the products made to remove that stuff can't be good in the long run. And see how as most of my clients become repeat clients I need to make sure I am in it for the long run.

We currently use a light polish to remove the streaks and then follow that with a sealant.

Anybody have experiance with the black streak removers????</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: black streak remover
February 15, 2005 05:40AM
<HTML>Joe:

Not sure if the black streaks on an RV finish would come off the same way as on a vehicle painted surface. However, that is how clay came into existence in Japan, where it originated.

There is a great deal of air pollution in Japan, especially in the big cities like Tokyo and when it rains this IFO lands on the car and leaves black streaks in the white vehicles, which there used to be a great many of years ago.

As a means of getting the black streaking off they used clay to do it without having to buff the paint.

While this might work well on a painted surface of a car, I do not know if it would be as easy on an RV finish which, many of them are dull.

Have you tried clay? Let me know.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
February 15, 2005 07:26AM
<HTML>I never tried clay for black streaks. I have a feeling it wouldn't work because of how pourous the material is that most Rvs are made of. I will give it a go tomorrow though.</HTML>

February 15, 2005 04:57PM
<HTML>Have you tried ABC wash? I have a feeling it may do the trick even if you only washed with "a" and "c".</HTML>

February 15, 2005 06:10PM
<HTML>Scottie,

That is on the money, just use a truck brush to agitate the "A" product, allowing for proper dwell time, and shouldn't have to use the "B, since in a case like this, not going after ferrous metal deposits.

There are several detailers who do motor coaches, etc, that use this system to remove what is usually, the "oxidized" rubber coming off the window seals.

It is important to make sure that the "ENTIRE" sides are washed with the "A", other wise, it will run down the sides, deep cleaning the pores and when dried, will appear to have created streaks in the painted surfaces.

If this "streaking" is observed, it is not damage to the paint such as a cheap hot engine degreaser would do, just "clean paint".

So, the streaking would from not following directions, and just reapply the "A" to the ENTIRE side again, agitate and they will be gone.

Then, be sure to follow up with the "C", which by the way, in our new packaging coming out will be renamed, "Detail Wash", the same name we put on this product we private label for Ford MotorCraft.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
February 15, 2005 07:08PM
<HTML>The trick to this is getting the roof clean...VERY CLEAN! Every response above made valid points and the key to the "streaking" not returning is getting the entire roof clean. The "streaking" comes from several sources but Bud's comment is the main reason. Grime from the environment along with exhaust from other vehicles plays a key roll in creating the mess. The proper wash is the first step followed by the proper removal using a light leveler. Clay does work on certain finishes but the lower the finish quality, the worse the clay works. On high end coaches, the clay works great on light to moderate streaking but on pourous surfaces it does little or nothing.

Make certain to brush the entire roof and clean around all roof items such as vents and AC units. The ABC wash is great and the A&C is a very good combo for this purpose. Also, when your washing the roof, have someone below rinsing the sides down as you knock off the roof top grime as this will reduce other issues developing.

One item we have had good luck with on "streaking" is a mild wheel cleaner. I highlight mild and urge you to test a small area before trying this on a large scale. We spray a mist of water, utilize a foaming wheel cleaner, brush and rinse in quick order.

Hope this helps!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
February 16, 2005 03:05AM
<HTML>For the black streaks on boats, I use a multi-purpose cleaner or -- like the name says -- Star Brite "Black Streak Remover." A boat gets black streaks from canvas snaps and soot/dirt run-down after a rain storm. However, on an RV or auto, Ron's theory sound correct about the oxidizing rubber seals. This happens on boats as well. RVs are boats with wheels.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 16, 2005 04:19AM
<HTML>DOUGH!!!!! I never thought of using A!!!! And I have the stuff in my arsenal.

We used a paint cleaner followed with a sealer. A 26ft travel trailer took two of us four hours to do. I charged $350 but will charge $400 next time for the same work.</HTML>

February 16, 2005 05:05AM
<HTML>Joe,

Just wet the trailer with water, then mix the "A" to the specified 1 part to 8 parts water.

Put the bucket of the solution close to the work area, so you don't waste it, and brush it on, working from the top down.

It "must" be on the surface for 5 to 7 minutes, and where the deposits of the streaks are the heaviest, agitate it with the truck brush, don't allow it to dry.

If you see it drying, due to the wind be stronger on one side or the other, just "mist" it with your pressure washer, don't "wash it off", just keep it wet.

Like any surfactant cleaner solution, water is the activator, will not work as forumulated without water being present.

Then, after the correct "dwell" time, rinse it off, and wash with the "C".

Just make sure that you "agitate" the whole side or top of the unit.

It works, been used on thousands, and thousands of RV's, boats, over the road trucks, that have heavy contamination such as you are facing.

The use of any "wax/sealant" following the process will pickup what ever little staining is left.

Give me a call if you run into problems or questions.

I will be out on the "shakey side" some time next week and around until the middle of the first week of March, so if you need me, just call the office or I think you have my cell number. If not, I will be in the office the rest of this week, so call on the toll free number, I perfer to not give out my cell here.

Service, buddy, service, that is what we do, just like you.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
February 16, 2005 10:47AM
<HTML>thing I have found to work with black streaks on both Rv and both is Tech 390 (Maybe 319, dont have teh bottle infornt of me)from my auto armor distrubutor. I dillute it 3to 1 on Rv and wash normal with a good few minute soak period wash again and wash then rinse. I have a hand full of boat that I was on a weekly basis and this works well too. Obviously not neglecting the roof with this same treatment. I am not sure if anyone here use this product but it is a hell of a multipurpose chemical, tires, interior, black streaks and enignes.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
February 16, 2005 01:53PM
<HTML>Ketch, Thanks for the tips but you must of forgotten that we ABC'ed 60+ cars and 33 40 foot schol buses 2-3 years ago, remember? I think we used about 40 gal of product total.

I think I know how to use it beter than you do now!!LOL!</HTML>

February 16, 2005 02:08PM
<HTML>I know that, but there are several reading this thread that may attempt to use it and they don't have your experiience with it.

Good luck and I'll give you a call while out there, maybe we can hook up.

Ketch</HTML>

February 16, 2005 02:13PM
<HTML>I look forward to it.</HTML>

February 17, 2005 02:04AM
<HTML>Ron or Scott

Could you tell me more about ABC wash ? I looked around on the AI web site but couldn't find anything under that name . TIA

Jerry</HTML>
February 17, 2005 01:36PM
<HTML>It is in the Tech Bulletins, used by Ford, Mazda, Hyundia and Nissan for enviormental contamination and ferrous oxide removal.

Ketch</HTML>

February 20, 2005 09:23PM
<HTML>If you have access to Zep products, Zeperfects is nothing short of a miracle. It is a cleaner polish as well, but it has removes black streaks for me as well as a clay bar, sometimes with considerably less effort.</HTML>
February 20, 2005 10:27PM
<HTML>With all due respect to ZEP most any compound or cleaner/glaze; one step product will do the same as you have indicated. There is nothing miracle about the ZEP product or any product in the detail business, for that matter.

It is all about how much time a detailer wants to spend on the job.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login