Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SCRATCHES IN ALUMINUM

Posted by Bud Abraham 
SCRATCHES IN ALUMINUM
February 18, 2005 07:38AM
<HTML>What do you all use to get scratches out of aluminum?

There are many alternatives to removing oxidation from aluminum, but I want to know what you all use to remove the scratches?

Regards and thanks,

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: SCRATCHES IN ALUMINUM
February 18, 2005 02:33PM
<HTML>Buda, Try AirMark.com ,they have good products, and very,very good buffing equipment........................ Brandy!</HTML>

Thanks Webb Master for getting me back on Line!.....Brandy
February 18, 2005 03:32PM
<HTML>Thanks, I do not want products I want processes. Tell me what you do and how you do it to remove scratches. I do not want to know this for my own use, I want to know it because someone asked me and I did not know what to tell them definitively. I could logicallly figure it out, but not having any experience with this personally I do not know if it will work or not.

The Flitz Ball does wonders on oxidized aluminum, but what about that with scratches?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 18, 2005 03:55PM
<HTML>Bud, you basically do the same sanding processes that you do on a painted finish, or for wood.

Have to "level" down the surface, but each surface may be different.

If heavy billet, or cast, you got a lot to work with, if a "grill shell" like on a class 8, then a bit different process.

Aluminum oxidizes from not only the outside, but also from internally.

To know this is important, as the various alloys of aluminum will vary, creating different "density" at the top level of the material.

There are some aluminum alloys that will exhibit a very "soft" substrate, once you have sanded and removed the scratches. This may be overcome by "acidizing" the surface, as the acidizing process creates a small hard surface again for the aluminum.

Unfortunately, the acid required to do this is the danger HF, diluted to a 4% to 8% mixture.

Just some of the answers to a very involved set of processes for handling aluminum scratches, polishing etc.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
February 18, 2005 07:32PM
<HTML>Bud,

We do a great amount of this work on aircraft and one off billet wheels. If you need input feel free to call. Ron hit the process on the head and I can follow-up with available products to bring back the shine. What is the aluminum on?</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
February 18, 2005 07:49PM
<HTML>Bud, Grumpy and Renny are dead right on,as I have done quite abit of experimenting on cleaning over the road trailers and tank trailers. One thing that Grumpy said thats so,so, true in acidizing, this changes the substrait,and the buffing changes course. This in what to use,and when to use it. the folks that I buy from ranges from rough sticks to a compound type material that I purchase in 5 gallon buckets for the different grades of aluminum. I'm not going to dazzle you with a bunch of B.S. because I can't.My chemical suppliers help me/us out a great deal, when I call for advise. I don't know who all makes the polishing equipment in this industry,but their Drum Buffer/polishers will be hard to beat. I have even got out the old Heli Arc to repair some truck rims, before acidizing to clean,the before.

Scratches,once again is like working with deep scratches on paint as Grump said. 1st time working out some scratches on a rear bumper on a tank trailer,and went thru about 4 buffing drums. Then walah! I tried some 220grit quickly moving to finer paper, then to the hvy compound, to minimize metal extraction/removal then to polishing compound... This probably don't help but, it's as good as I can do............. Brandy !</HTML>

Thanks Webb Master for getting me back on Line!.....Brandy
February 18, 2005 08:55PM
<HTML>Renny Doyle, you say you do airplanes! Do you know anyone who sells some detail process info to get into this business? Some of the trucking companys I do business with have their own planes,and have to wait for trips to big citys to get this service. Similar to getting their tankers and coal buckets cleaned and polished. I feel like air planes would be of a definate different animal than working on a 18-20 wheeler used to haul coal/petroleum or chemicals. Probably too many rules to comply with,and probably have to have the recovery systems that the Mobile Detailers are plagued with...Appreciate any info on this ....... Brandy !</HTML>
February 18, 2005 09:10PM
<HTML>Brandy,

I have both a Master Technician course and also a home course called Aicraft Detailing Made Simple. I speak yearly at Sun & Fun in Florida and also the Oshkosh event. We have been invited to spreak five of the seven days this year which is a huge honor. Email or call me direct and I will share more with you. rdoyle@sunvalley.net (208) 725-5493

Thanks!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
February 19, 2005 01:14AM
<HTML>To all of you who have answered my post I am not looking for products or tools.

The purpose of posting was to know what the process would be for removing scratches.

Thanks

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
February 19, 2005 01:54AM
<HTML>Bud, I sent you an Email that I hope will answer your question as how to fill scratches, then leveling them for compounding to final polishing. I hope this helps. I can't thank Grumpy and you enough for how helpful you guys have been to me.....................Brandy !

I didn't put into the email the different colors of compounds to use.
Green hvy, Red Medium,and white is polishing,and I use white rouge for the final polishing.My supplier said that the white compound is all I need, but I get the mirror finish quicker, after the red, with the white rouge sticks. Remember we're working on big truck equipment and truck rims. I did the inside of a drag car a friend of mine helped his son build,and worked the whole thing with white rouge stick only, then used some diamondplus to seal it. They make a clear sealant that I did spray on one customers trailer,and used a HVLP Gun set up to do so. He had the money and I had the time...........................</HTML>
February 19, 2005 07:21AM
<HTML>Brandy,

Was the sealer Zoops?</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
February 19, 2005 04:10PM
<HTML>No Renny it's a Specialty Sealant Polymer. AirMark sells it $35.00 a qt or $115.00 a gallon.......... Put it on HVLP Gun. This product is the berries,awaiting to see how long it lasts. It will go thru a few truck washes,and will return home in 2 months, so to say the least, it will see all types of weather (Snow & Ice, thru Hot & Sunny) I'm interested in seeing what the road salts/Sand will do as far as deteriation,especially the under belly of the Tanker. This KW has a salt/sand spreader ahead of the Tandem Live Axels.With the big flapps, it still does it worst to the belly of the Tanker. Renny, better close,as I'll have some of the guys telling me to take this info and shove it, as it doesn't mean @!#$ to this forum. Great Bunch of folks on this forum.
P.S. you have a great web site,and I may try some of your chemicals.
Try some A&H Buffing equipment,as they can't be beat.I think they got some Timex in them, take a lick'n and keep on tick'n. I set my Air Comp on continious run,and we run 3 drum,and one flapper wheel buffer continiously.......... Brandy</HTML>
February 19, 2005 06:09PM
<HTML>I will look A&H up for sure! Are you using strickly AM drum buffers...any other makes? We have thre, one AM and it is the best by far! I will send you an email in regards to the green to white question also! Keep in touch and I will contact you in a few weeks for some comments within the publication write up we spoke about!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
February 21, 2005 07:26AM
<HTML>Ron already answered the question, yes?

If anyone needs info on aluminum brightening, my manual has a section on Pontoons and polishing their logs.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login