Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

acid rain

Posted by patsy 
acid rain
February 24, 2005 12:18AM
<HTML>Hi,

I have a 2001 Nissan Maxima that I've recently purchased used. I noticed some "water marks" on the windows & brought it to the attention to the dealership. They said it was acid rain & really nothing could be done. They did mention that a detail shop could buff it out but that it would only come back.

Is this true??? I love the car & I really would like the windows to look cleaner.

Patsy</HTML>
Re: acid rain
February 24, 2005 12:39AM
<HTML>try rubbing alcohol on it, that will remove almost anything from glass.</HTML>

h melton
February 24, 2005 01:36AM
<HTML>It's most likely just water spots (mineral deposits) and not acid rain. Get some "paste" toothpaste and rub it on the spots. 99% sure they will be removed.

Good luck!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 24, 2005 05:38PM
<HTML>Thanks for the advice but neither alcohol nor the toothepaste worked. It's really weird... it's all over the windows. It was on the windsheild & the side mirrors too, but I had them replace those. It's hardly noticeable from the outside.

Any other ideas???

Patsy</HTML>
February 24, 2005 06:06PM
<HTML>Interesting. The toothpaste should've worked. If you have distilled white vinegar around the house, pour some into a cloth or rag and soak the spots for about a minute.

Now if that doesn't work, take it to a professional detailer or a boat detailer since we come into salt water spots on the windshields and Issan glass all the time.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 24, 2005 06:17PM
<HTML>Thanks...I'll try that. If I do end up taking to a detailer, what should I expect they try.

Patsy</HTML>
February 24, 2005 06:23PM
<HTML>Water spot remover, compound, steel wool, etc. They get it off IF it's water spots. If it's acidic etchings, you're best bet would be a glass shop. Try the detailer first.

Where in the country are you? I can direct you to a reputable shop if I know where you are.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 28, 2005 12:35AM
<HTML>White wool CP...A heavy compound will get 95% of the etching....Im in the furniture capital of the world and surrounded by heavy industrial fallout and it seems every 3rd car we do thats 5 years or older has it just as you desribed and in the same location...If the shop you take it to isnt sure of ,,or hesitates...go somewhere they do this on a constant basis!!!Then it would be a good idea to use a glass polish whenever you wax your vehicle..do the windows at the same time..There is another very messy way to rid the etching and will cost a lot more but try this method first.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login