Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

biodegradable products only

Posted by Bob Gentile 
biodegradable products only
February 24, 2005 02:13PM
<HTML>I'm considering starting an auto detail business (mobile). Everything I've looked into about startup cost and all the work getting started seems reasonable and I've made the decision to go ahead. My last concern is the regulations about washing the vehicle. All the expense and time it would take to do the right thing is a problem. Has anyone heard of any action taken against any mobile washers for not containing the wash water etc.
If I understand correctly the products today that are biodegradable don't hurt the environment. Does that take care of the problem? If not do the authorities have to take action against every property owner that uses their washing machine, washes their car in their driveway etc?
My question is how do I get around this situation and still detail cars without all the added expense to follow all the rules of the EPA?
What are the mobile guys in business already doing? I live in NY and I don't see the businesses around that used to do mobile washes.</HTML>
Re: biodegradable products only
February 24, 2005 06:15PM
<HTML>Bob,

The law states that any commercial business must contain its waste water regardless of what wash products are used.

The law is very contradicting between Federal and State laws but then again the government can do what they want. Everyday during spring and summer I see firemen outside the station washing the trucks and let the sudsy water float down the street. I see the Coast Guard washing their boats (legal if using 100% phosphate free wash/bio-degradeable). So who is right?

My advice is to play it safe and invest in a containment mat $1,200 from a supplier or you can make one yourself if you follow certain standards. Even a Vacuboom is sufficient. Or you can call the local municipalities where you will be doing the mobile detailing and ask them if you must contain. If they say no, get it in writing.

Remember, to make money, you have to spend money.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Dan
February 25, 2005 02:44AM
<HTML>From what I understand after speaking with somebody in charge of a local city yard, as long as it looks like your trying to contain it your alright. A vacuboom would be sufficient.</HTML>
February 25, 2005 03:36AM
<HTML>Bob, regardless of what type of chemicals you use, you still need to contain the water. Bio Degradeable products , from my understanding, only become bio degradeable once they go through a water treatment plant. Secondly, the contaminants you are remving from the vehicle surfaces are not bio degradeable.

The EPA has actually just upgraded The Contaminant Candidate List (CCL), which they monitor water supplies for, so it is only going to get tougher.

Hope that helps .

Jim.</HTML>
February 25, 2005 03:42PM
<HTML>Many great points have been made above and my only additional comment would be that its not your chemicals, not even your water, its what that water is picking up and moving into the system.

In So Cal and within Washington state there have been a number of businesses nailed on these issues.

Good luck within your venture,</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
March 04, 2005 02:29PM
<HTML>Thanks guys you've been a big help.</HTML>
March 05, 2005 03:34AM
<HTML>One added piece of information.

Biodegradable and "enviormentally friendly".

Enviormentally friendly means that the product does not contain toxins or carcenigenic components as defined by the various goverment agencies.

An example is Simple Green, which for years promoted it's product as "bio-degradable", and by the terms presented earlier, if sent through a clarifier, sort of met that criteria.

However, by the Clean Water Act, and since Simple Green uses a butylcellosolve for it's active surfactant, it is not "ground water friendly" and is a toxin.

This is also true of many products, promoted as being "bio-degradable".

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 05, 2005 06:21AM
<HTML>Got this off a government website in regards to boat washing & cleaning. What they mean by biodegradable here is "phosphate free" cleaners which are non-toxic and breathable by fish.

Washing by Hand Above Water Line:

Detergents and cleaning compounds used for washing boats shall be biodegradable and amounts shall be kept to a minimum. The waste water generated by low pressure boat washing, including initial rinse off of boats kept primarily in dry storage, which contains no bottom paint, shall not be considered an industrial discharge or "hazardous waste" as defined in Chapter 27-352.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login