Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mobile Detailers

Posted by Jorge Hernandez 
Mobile Detailers
February 25, 2005 07:29PM
<HTML>I need to get a used gargo van but am not sure what I need (payload). Another thing is when I get one am not sure how to set it up (where to put everything I need) . I was hoping the mobile detailers can e-mail me some pictures so I can get some ideas from them.Once again thank you in advance for your help & time.

Jorge Hernandez...

mjautod@comcast.net</HTML>
Re: Mobile Detailers
February 28, 2005 02:29AM
<HTML>Jorge,

Check out Mobileworks.com for the answer to this question. 80% of the guys on there are mobile and will tell you what you need to know.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
February 28, 2005 03:31PM
<HTML>Brian thank you....
Jorge</HTML>
March 07, 2005 07:29PM
<HTML>hello all:
has anyone ever attempted to modify a pickup truck for mobile detailing? i have easy access to a local dealer only car auction, so obtaining a fairly cheap but decent looking pickup for a mobile outfit wouldnt be a problem. I am very handy and consider myself able to pull off a task such as modifying a pickup to hit the road with my detailing skills. Mobile detailing, like in most areas, is an often forgotten area of auto care in my area, and i would like to get in on the ground floor since i already have an established customer base that have been bringing their cars, as well as referring friends and family to me for years. any help would or tips be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Tim</HTML>
Dan
March 08, 2005 01:21AM
<HTML>If you have that going for you and are happy, why would you want to go mobile? Mobile detailing is a lot harder than having your garage set up and waiting for you. Lot of extra cost involved and the pickup you are talking about should be at least 3/4 ton to support the weight of your water tank(100 gallons=890pnds). Im not trying to discourage you, just letting you know some minor details before you jump into it. Good luck!

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
March 09, 2005 06:20PM
<HTML>i am not considering a changeover of my business type, i am considering adding a mobile unit. i have a friend who is interested in joining me in a business venture, and i thought adding a mobile unit would only add to the services we can perform. there are a number of corporate parks in our area that would welcome such a service.</HTML>
Dan
March 09, 2005 10:46PM
<HTML>The corporate parks are great and all, but I would get the people to pay upfront for services to be performed, this way the flakes wont ruin your days work. A monthly plan works best because if you just show up, you never know, you can do $500 or $70, and if it was $70, you just ruined your days work because you didnt schedule anything else. This is how its been for me anyway, i dont know what the other guys do about corporate accounts. I try to stay away from them personally and try to stick with upscale neighborhoods.

Dan Draper
March 12, 2005 07:55AM
<HTML>I agree with the upscale neighborhood but how would you suggest getting a start in such an area. Hand out Flyers, Signs, Classifieds Any suggestions will help.</HTML>

MR. Bubble Bath
Dan
March 12, 2005 03:17PM
<HTML>Door to door NICE AND CLASSY LOOKING flyers with pictures on them of cars and a self portrait. This way people become comfortable with you before meeting you. The best thing would be to briefly greet the people and hand them a flyer. I also wouldnt put prices on them, but thats just me, I think it keeps people interested.

Just work on getting 1 job in the neighborhood and then you will get exposure. Try to schedule the job at a time where people are either going to work or coming home from work. So they can drive by and see you. Might work and might not, but in a tight community, they will look. In these neighborhoods, people are always looking at what "the neighbors are doing", and when they see me working, they say "I need that".

Dan Draper
March 13, 2005 04:12AM
<HTML>I started my business just under five years ago and this is what worked for me. In the wealthiest part of San Antonio, I parked my rig in front of the first house I door knocked at, a man opened the door and he said "Yes, can I help you?". I responded " Yes sir, my name is Martin Hernandez and along with my wife, we own and operate San Antonio Mobile Car Wash and what we do is come to your home or business and wash your car while you work or relax at home." And when I was talking to him I pointed at my rig and kept on, "and we bring our own water, generator for vacuums and buffers, so we can wash a car anywhere. We were wondering if you need a car wash today or schedule an appointment." To my amazement, this work about 80% of the time and after about two weeks, I never door knocked again. This man is still my customer after 4 price hikes and tips on top of that.

This is what worked for me, and just wanted to pass this on, Martin.</HTML>
March 13, 2005 03:06PM
<HTML>Martin has a good idea and it seems to have worked for him. What you need to do mainly is be persistant. You wil get more "No's" than "Yes's" so don't be discouraged!

Repeat customers is the key to growth and success. You want weekly or at least monthly clients. On the monthlys sell them on a wash and wax plan. On weeklys sell them on a 3 week wash and vacuum, fourth week "spruce up" where you may spot clean the interior, maybe re-wax the top sections or whole car if needed.

Also, in regards to the truck.....you can modify a pick-up to be a great work truck but remember that this also means extra wear and tear on the wheels, tires, transmission, brakes and suspension.

The added weight of a generator, water tank, which has to hold at least 100 gallons (a gallon weighs around 10lbs), plus maybe an aircompressor and vac, products, cords, buffers......phew! That's alot of weight! I know my little Ranger is not built for that which is why we also have a Ford cargo van for the water tank setup.

Hope that helps,
Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
March 14, 2005 06:46AM
<HTML>Thanks, You guys really have some good ideas. It's good to see such a support system exists for a business like ours.</HTML>

MR. Bubble Bath
Tobacco Stain on Vinyl
March 29, 2005 05:41PM
<HTML>Could anyone tell me what to use to remove tobacco stains from vinyl interiors?

Thanks.</HTML>
Re: Tobacco Stain on Vinyl
March 29, 2005 05:45PM
<HTML>Tobacco as in smoke/tar film or actual tobacco juice?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 29, 2005 05:49PM
<HTML>I mean tobacco stain as in smoke/tar film.</HTML>
March 29, 2005 06:01PM
<HTML>Any quality all purpose cleaner, mixed properly.

Mist the entire area, allow it "dwell", keeping the area wet with the product.

Watch to see the "stain" start to run off, wait a bit more, then remist, and wipe with a water dampened terry cloth towel, followed by a clean dry towel.

In worse cases, you may need to agitate with a stiff bristle brush as it is dwelling if the material has grain in it.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
March 29, 2005 06:36PM
<HTML>Ron

Thank you for your help.</HTML>
March 29, 2005 06:43PM
<HTML>Emily, do exactly as Ron stated and you'll be good as gold!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login