Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who has the best Compounding and Polishing Pads, and Why?

Posted by Eric Brandenburg 
Who has the best Compounding and Polishing Pads, and Why?
February 28, 2005 12:56AM
<HTML>I wuz wondering what you folks are using now? Is there any thing new and wonderious,thats worth a look see? I'm getting close to a restock, and just getting a heads up on anything new out there. I know sometime back we talked about the Edge Pads, but nothing else since then...... Brandy !</HTML>
Re: Who has the best Compounding and Polishing Pads, and Why?
February 28, 2005 02:27AM
<HTML>As soon as my Cyclo is delivered on Tuesday, I'm sure I'll make a great post raving about it.

Since my inventory is near low as well, I'm dumping Auto Magic and going with Detail King, staying with Stoner and Valguard.

Don't think pad technology has changed at all since the Edge 2000. Although a new orange pad for the Edge came out -- supposed to be between the Green and Blue.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>Brian,

I think you'll really love the Cyclo. It's my most cherished power tool and I'm confident it will provide me decades of faithful service. I understand the Cyclo brand pads, the orange in particular, have improved. Also, Lake country makes 4" Cyclo size pads. I use these exclusively . I don't think they have the longevity of a typical 6-8" size pad though.

I also understand from Anthony Orosco that cyclo is working on a system that makes it behave more like a rotary. That will be quite interesting once it's released.</HTML>
February 28, 2005 05:50AM
<HTML>I can't wait to get mine. I ordered the complete Cyclo package (all brushes and attachments) from Rob at WC Detail. Good deal -- tired of applying sealants and waxes by hand. Everyoner who has a Cyclo says you can do minor correcting with it too.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

February 28, 2005 05:21PM
<HTML>I can give you heads up on the Allpad system by Allbrite.

Its been developed in Europe but is made in America. They have only just been released in Europe and know they aren't out over there yet. We only got them at the weekend and have done a restoration on a VW Golf, but we think they are the best pads we have ever seen. You can tell they are top quality just by looking at them. The construction and design is very clever.
I think that at the moment there are 7 pads in the system, but it could be 8.
There are 5 sponge pads, 1 or 2 wool cutting pads and a wool finishing pad.
They have their own special back plates, one is a standard size, the second is a smaller size with an adaptor so that you can use smaller pads for difficult areas. So you get 9" wrap around pads with round edges, and a 6" pad.
So far we have both sizes for high speed rotary buffing machines, but they are working on Cyclone size and we hope to get these soon.

Regarding the Cyclo, I have used the origonal aluminium one and cheaper plastic copies from the far east, and l like the plastic ones best. The are lighter and far quieter. I've been warned about the bearings in them but we have been using two of them for a year with no problems.</HTML>
February 28, 2005 05:30PM
<HTML>sorry, I forgot.

Allbrites URL is [www.allbritecarcareproducts.com]
I don't know if they are selling them in the US yet but it doesn't hurt to ask does it?</HTML>
<HTML>Those plastic ones, called Versa Tool if I remember right, are pretty hard to find, at least online now.</HTML>
February 28, 2005 08:57PM
<HTML>Wow, I remember them.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

March 01, 2005 02:26AM
<HTML>I believe the Allbrite pads are the same as the Buff and Shine pads. I prefer 6" pads to larger 8" pads and have been looking for a backing plate that will fit the 6" pads, could you tell me where you got yours?</HTML>
March 01, 2005 10:25AM
<HTML>I just had a look at Buff & Shine, and a look at the pads that Allbrite have on their website, and the Allpad pads are different from both, there's no doubt about it.

I'll find out more and get bak to you.</HTML>
March 01, 2005 01:10PM
<HTML>No, these are not Buff & Shine pads, they are made by another company to the specification of Allbrite's European Distributor. He is probably the guy to speak to- Contact Willy Winterfalk on - atce.sweden{at}telia.com (remove the {at} and replace with the @ symbol) I'm sure he would be happy tell you all about it.</HTML>
March 03, 2005 05:25AM
<HTML>I personally use only genuine lambswool pads for polishing. You simply cannot beat the finish that you can achieve with them for surface correction. Ketch has the pads I used to use at www.autoint.com and I now use a very similar pad made by Norton Abrasives (www.nortonabrasives.com) which is slightly thinner and a little different to use (these are available locally from my paint supplier). Either pad will do a terrific job if used properly in less time than any other pad I have used.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login