Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rust Spots

Posted by David Sutter 
Rust Spots
March 06, 2005 04:12PM
<HTML>My wife's parking structure at work is old and drips rust especially in the winter months. The car has spots on it that I cannot get out. Her car is a 2000 Ford Explorer. I have tried buffing it with my random orbital with a mild abrasive without luck. Any miracle cures out there? Thanks for your help.</HTML>
Re: Rust Spots
March 06, 2005 05:57PM
<HTML>White car? If so, you need a high speed rotary buffer and some compound to get the stains out.

A random is not a buffer it is just an applicator with less friction than you can generate with your hand.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
March 06, 2005 06:09PM
<HTML>Check what Ford, Hyundia, Nissan, Mazda (DaimlerChrysler Canda also has the same, but not in the section) has to say in their technical service bulletins, at the OEM/TSB section at www.autoint.com

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 07, 2005 02:03AM
<HTML>I wonder if CLR would work? Has anyone else tried this product?</HTML>
Dan
March 07, 2005 02:52AM
<HTML>Try using a clay bar, if that doesnt work you need to use a rotary polisher with the proper pads and products. If that doesnt work, you need to wetsand the area(lightly) to reach farther into the clear coat, then buff.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
March 07, 2005 01:10PM
<HTML>I used a clay bar and it did remove some of the spots. I think some of the rust spots may have been there longer and the clay was not able to remove them. By the way the car is a darker blue color. Should I try a more agressive compound before I resort to wet sanding?</HTML>
March 07, 2005 01:21PM
<HTML>The bulletins cover the safe, non damaging way to remove not ony the ferrous deposits, but removes the stains as well.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login