Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etching in Aluminum rims

Posted by A. D. 
Etching in Aluminum rims
March 12, 2005 07:44AM
<HTML>I've encountered several situations where a customer wants me to restore the original shine on rims that are badly etched by some type of cleaning product. Can this issue be resolved and if so how?</HTML>

MR. Bubble Bath
Re: Etching in Aluminum rims
March 13, 2005 12:00AM
<HTML>A.D., are the rims in question Plastic coated or clear coated? If they are, you can work them as you would painted surfaces with imperfections. That is, start off with the least aggresive compound,working heavier,until "U" can achieve the results you are looking for. Then give them a good coat of sealant.

If they are bear or non protected/virgin aluminum, thats a whole different horse, of a different color,and plus the equipment that will be used to get them back to new condition............... Brandy !</HTML>
March 14, 2005 06:41AM
<HTML>This was a question I had for the next time I encounter that problem. I will take your advice when it comes up. Thanks......</HTML>

MR. Bubble Bath
March 15, 2005 02:13AM
<HTML>A.D,
First take a close look at the wheel.
Can you tell if it has a polyester or acrylic powdercoat clear on the wheel?
Is the wheel one that came of the vehicle from the vehicle manufacturer?

Is it came from the vehicle manufacturer, it is either a clear of one of two mentioned coating systems, or it is a "chrome".

And, not the "chrome" that was used 15 to 20 years ago, much different.

If you want some straight advice, get the year, model, make, and manufacturer written down, with as close of a description of the concern you can, digital pictures are even better, and use our Tech Support line at www.autoint.com.

We have some expertise in these sort of concerns and issues, and will give you as much information, support as anyone.

You and your customer, may not like it, but that is what happens when all the facts are presented.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login