Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

burn marks in paint

Posted by ProShine 
burn marks in paint
March 14, 2005 01:47AM
<HTML>hey guys, will burn marks from a high speed buffer come out of clearcoat paint?</HTML>
Re: burn marks in paint
March 14, 2005 01:48AM
<HTML>s</HTML>
March 14, 2005 03:10AM
<HTML>If the damage is contained within the thickness of the clear it you can, sometimes, be repaired so that it can no longer be seen or is less visible.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
March 14, 2005 04:37AM
<HTML>I second Joe...we had a repair from another shop last week on a black suburban and it was shallow so we were able to get the paint back to just about 100% with several steps used. If the damage had been much deeper...forget about it.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
March 14, 2005 05:23AM
<HTML>thanks guys, the burn dont look that bad, how can i tell how deep it is?</HTML>
March 14, 2005 10:37AM
<HTML>By measuring your work with a paint thickness guage. There is only so much you can remove. If you go past this, you know it has to be repaired.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
March 15, 2005 12:18AM
<HTML>If the burn site is some where out of the line of fire, so to speak, you may want to try 2000 grit wet/dry and color sand. If it's a hood area or some where that will be easily seen, go to a good Hi end body shop, as they usually will have one of the newer paint thickness guages, and do as Steve suggested. Probably, there were many,many mistakes made by color sanding/compounding before the Thickness guage was invented. I know of one old timer, that has screwed a place on a finish lately, trying to level and correct. The good thing, was that I went over the "What Can Happen's" with the owner before proceeding..................... Brandy !

The out come would have probably been different, if I had one of the new Thickness Guages..............Live and Learn!</HTML>
March 15, 2005 02:02AM
<HTML>Good advice, but perhaps a little more input is required.

Most "detailers" or "enthusists" have not one bit of knowledge regarding the "high solid/low solvent" clearcoats applied today to vehicle, and have been for many years.

Wet/color sanding is done way to often, by those who have no idea of what they are really removing of the clear.

They do not understand the "intricate" way that a clearcoat cures in an "assembly plant" process, which is much different than what a bodyshop or "home painter" may apply.

Two different chemistries, two entirely different issues of dealing with this surface.

But, I agree, if one does not have an electronic thickness gauge and really know how to use one, where to take readings, etc, they might as well be serving up burgers at McDonald's.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
March 15, 2005 03:23AM
<HTML>Ketch, What r the 2 different ways of dealing with the 2 methods of how paint is applied that u are refering to in your post? Can u please explain further? Thanks</HTML>
March 15, 2005 03:52AM
<HTML>Be damned difficult, as it takes about an hour of our course, to just cover the changes in paint systems, how they are applied, etc.

Then, after that, we address what are the affects of the enviorment, incorrect buffing, etc, etc.

Not something to be done on the net, got to be there.

Have tried it before, on the net, using video, doing 45 minute seminars, and all that results is mass confusion.

Some claim they can explain everything about paint during a two or three day school, well in my 50 plus years of dealing with automotive paint, it just ain't so.

And, we only touch on the important parts.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login