Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Frame paint or treatment recomendations

Posted by S10 Guy 
Frame paint or treatment recomendations
May 15, 2002 09:27PM
Hello everyone:

The ole S10 4 x 4 has now been on the road for just over 1.5 yrs and while all the good advice provided by this board has rendered spectacular results on the body and interior, the visible rails of the frame under the truck are now beginning to show signs of normal road wear.

Before I venture down the garden path on my own on this one I would appreciate anyones experiences or opinions on the best and most durable product / products and proceedures to remidy this problem and provide the most long term and apperance maintainable surface on these frame rails.

Thanks all
Re: Frame paint or treatment recomendations
May 15, 2002 11:05PM
what about using some epoxy boxliner coating on your frame rails. It would be quite durable and easy to reapply if needed....just a thought.
If you are limited to financial economics, you can degrease the whole undercarriage & lightly sand the areas that you want to refinish with new black paint.

If you have the experience with a detail gun, you can respray your whole undercarriage with semi gloss black. All of your hard work will be in the prep work. You can also simply use spray bombs & you will be amazed with your results. Your degreasing & your prep work will really pay off in the long run & you'll thank me for your show stunning results. Good Luck & your S-10 will look like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
May 16, 2002 04:58AM
Toddco's right about the cleaning part. Get some degreaser, dish soap, & various brushes, and go to town. **WARNING** You WILL get very messy doing this.

As for a coating, I had good results on my neon (which survived 7 years and 140,000 miles in NE Ohio) using Rustoleum. I bought a gallon of their "Industrial" gloss black, and used a small (3") roller and an assortment of brushes to apply it to the undercarriage.

PS, don't use the spray cans, you will get overspray ALL over your car plus they don't put down as good of a coating as rolling the paint on does. (Besides, price the number of cans it would take to do the job VS the cost of a gallon of paint...the gallon is much cheaper).

Don M
'02 Cavalier LSSC
2200 DOHC
May 16, 2002 03:20PM
don't forget the 3-m rubberized undercoating. a little expensive, but good stuff and lasts a long time.
May 16, 2002 08:30PM
how about trying por 15,you can paint it on right over rust and you will never so much as chip it even with a hammer
just a thought, mike
LRL
May 17, 2002 12:21AM
I used Por 15 on my Vw. It is great stuff! Just make sure all grease is removed or it will fish eye.
May 17, 2002 04:54PM

Thanks everyone for your time and effort in replying. Great recomendations. The degrease and prep work will commence this weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login