Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

LOSERS!

Posted by Scott Perkin 
LOSERS!
March 24, 2005 04:27PM
<HTML>Got the new ad in the paper looking for employees - it's that time of year. Here is how the ad reads:

Auto Detailer
No experience required. Apply in person with resume. Scotty’s Shine Shop, 210 York St.

Now how many of the meatheads that have been coming in have brought a resume? How many have just looked up our number and just called us instead of coming down? How many of these morons look (and smell) like they just woke up from a night of smoking and drinking? WHY? WHY? WHY? Where are all the decent people? 12 years in business and still the same dilemma!</HTML>

Re: LOSERS!
March 24, 2005 05:03PM
<HTML>Scotty, why do all of the low lifes seem to drift toward this type of work.

The ones who have not hocked their personal tools will be drifter mechanics,in the auto servicing industry......... Brandy !

I sure as hell can't answer this question.

I had a kid come thru the other day... His head was bald with exception to a strip of hair about 3" wide down middle of his head front/back. The hair was pulled up and twisted into, I counted 7 different colored points. He has an abundance of body jewelery hanging from his ears to his belly button. Kinda looked like a Rabid Peacock, who raped a tackle box, you know what I mean.

He told me he wanted a job interview! I sat in amazement just looking at him. I led him to the mens room, and on the back side of the entrance door I installed full length mirror, and i said what do you think? He said about what! I said kid, if you can't see that you don't fit in working with the public, you need to get your sh!t together,clean up and look presentable.

He proceeded to tell me that I had sterio typed him,and was discriminating against him. I said no, I'm not, I'm just telling you how you are going to have to look to represent my firm to my customers.

He said F-U- I don't need this abuse,and wouldn't be a very nice person to work for anyway.

Ketch is right I'm getting to friggin old for this Sh!t................ Brandy !</HTML>
March 24, 2005 05:16PM
<HTML>School this month is going on.

One of the better ones, as we only have three students.

And the best part, all are managers.

One of a large full service carwash, with a big detail operation, one is the New Car and Used Vehicle Recon Manager for a large Porsche/Audi dealership and the other is the detail manager for one of our long time customers, a medium size GM dealership with Buick/Pontiac/GMC and two large used car operations.

One of the main topics of discussion, during part of the course, was employees, and their inability to follow process, etc.

I told them the same I tell all managers, "get friggen mean, be a Marine DI and set the tone."

"If you show/tell/train a person the same way, with the same words, for a limit of 7 times, fire em, they are untrainable."

"If the employee fails to follow the rules of the shop, including proper house keeping of their work area, fire em."

"If an employee decides that his way is better and refuses to follow process/procedure as directed, fire em."

Do that a couple of times, in front of the other employees and watch the major attitude change take place with them.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
March 25, 2005 01:25AM
<HTML>Rabid peacock who raped a tackle box! Man I love it haha.

I see these weirdos around town and they're usually the ones who are all about "rebel, rebel" and drive the ozone depleting, 1985 Chevy Citations. However, and it's sad to say that these wackadoos make great artists and detailing is a scientific art. HOWEVER, detailing is also about image and cleanliness and no matter how good this rabid peacock was with a buffer, I wouldn't hire him nor would I let him ride in my car. It's all about image and professionalism.

You think Walt Disney Co. would hire someone like that? No way! And they can't sue for discrimination when it comes to dress code. I think they passed a law against that now since a guy wanted to be a server at Hooters and sued for descrimination. They sure fixed that one real quick.

Scott, reach out to your local vocational technical school and look for someone in the auto body/painting program. Decent people there who want to work with the looks of cars.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 25, 2005 01:41AM
<HTML>Brian, very good idea about the vocational school thing. The instructor at the Kentucky Technical and Vocational School here in Ashland, is a personal friend of mine. I'm going over to see him tomorrow,and maybe he might have some kids who want to, and will work. It will be interesting to say the least.

I'm quickly beginning to see why Ketch,Buda,and a host of others got out of the detailing business, and just providing other things for the industry.

Well hell, I guess if it was easy, everybody would be doing it!..........Brandy !</HTML>
March 25, 2005 01:50PM
<HTML>The detailer kids that work here are mostly on drugs or on their last brain cell. And this is why I didn't last long at the dealership! I was serious about detailing and the rest of the clan it was just money and an easy (?) job. I agree, going to a tech school is a good way of recruiting some good help. Unfortunately newspaper ads tend to bring some very interesting characters around. I work for a company that hires drivers and I am surprised these guys can even drive! Yikes!

Brian, that was my '85 Citation they're driving around! hehe I always wanted one of those because when I was little (I was only 5!) I thought they were the coolest looking car. I've seen an occasional one around town here, and they are in surprisingly good shape.

Just my two cents for what its worth,
Anne</HTML>
March 25, 2005 05:39PM
<HTML>That's how I got my internship at the dealership body shop. Body shop managers would call the school and ask if any students were interested in working with them for extra hands-on training. I was actually the painter's apprentice and was going to paint cars for a living (did a hell of a job too!) but the body shop atmosphere and my respiratory system didn't get along. At twice a month I would get bronchitis or some other respiratory trouble from the dust and fumes -- no matter which masks and protection I wore. :-(

Sorry if I mocked your Citation, Anne! My sister had one and we called it "The Taco On Wheels" -- looked just like that!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
March 26, 2005 03:15AM
<HTML>i took the autobody program at the tech.& vocational school when i was 32 years old.i went with juniors in the am and seniors in the pm.
after i graduated with high honors, i worked in husbands garage for a year then went to manager of a small automotive paint and supply store. i worked there for 6 years. it was a small area with no ventilation and all of a sudden i am like a retard,have to get off work,and then dx with multiple sclerosis.
so here i am now, 3 years later and i am thinking about having a small detailing shop at my home.
am i a loser ?(ha ha )
i love your site here. its cool
tammy
ps.i know about 150 bodymen personally and they all have emotional problems caused by toxic fumes. my opinion.</HTML>
March 26, 2005 06:52PM
<HTML>Scott:

You mistake was putting an ad in the paper for "Detailers." If you advertise for detailers that is what you are going to get "detailers."

We all know the type of people that this industry attracts and it is not the type of person that most of us would want to hire for any job.

If you are going to run an ad in the Want Ads try this one which has worked somewhat successfully for me:

AUTO SERVICE TRAINEE - Growing auto service business has entry level openings for aggressive, hardworking individuals looking for an opportunity. Must have high school diploma; valid driving license; good driving record. Drug testing. Call 000/000-000.

You will screen out most of the "loosers' who will not apply for a job like this and you will attract better quality people.

The phone call will allow you to screen the people. Most of the bad ones will demand to know all sorts of things about the job and if you tell them you do not give out this information over the phone and that they have to come in and fill out an application they will hang up. Good riddance.

The good ones will graciously ask for the address and when they can come in.

As someone suggested if you want to be proactive contact churches; vocational schools, etc.

We have found we are getting the best applicants for our carwash by putting up "NOW HIRING" on our digital reader board sign. Far better than even the ad described above.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 26, 2005 09:29PM
<HTML>Excellent information Bud! Your ad will definitely weed out the people who aren't serious about the job.</HTML>
March 26, 2005 10:27PM
<HTML>I put out word we were about to start hiring on autopia. I got 5 contacts from what seems to be some pretty desent people.

I met one that arrived early, was well spoken, well groomed and hungry to work.

All I need now is workers comp!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
March 27, 2005 03:30AM
<HTML>Bud, thanks for the advice. I will try the ad with those adjustments (without the phone number). I actually got a resume from a very pleasant young lady that I think will work just fine so wish me luck.</HTML>

March 28, 2005 02:28AM
<HTML>The only problem I see with putting a serious title like Auto Service Trainee instead of detailer is that people might think they are not qualified, even if they are qualified as a detailer. But it would also remove the dopeheads from applying... Maybe include a good description of the job with the serious title, to get the more educated and serious detailer's attention?

Brian, its okay about the Citation. hehe I find it highly amusing people are driving them, let alone souping (sp?) them up. Here they love the lawnmower Hondas and now they are trying to do the same to my beloved Celica. :-( That's just one car that has too much class to turn into a rice burner.

Anne</HTML>
March 28, 2005 05:42AM
<HTML>Good point ANN. I forgot to put in the ad this very important line:

"No experience necessary, will train."

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
March 28, 2005 06:47AM
<HTML>I always include, "non-smoker" as well.</HTML>

April 17, 2005 04:03AM
<HTML>In the course of doing some research I have found that the Canadian
Human Rights Commission effectively outlaws any discrimination against a perspective employee based on a "disability". Apparently being a druggy is a disability up here so no drug testing is allowed before or during the course of an employee's term of employment unless it can be proven that safety is an issue. Unbelievable......</HTML>

April 17, 2005 03:03PM
<HTML>"Apparently being a druggy is a disability up here so no drug testing is allowed before or during the course of an employee's term of employment unless it can be proven that safety is an issue."

That Is amazing!! GOD BLESS THE USA!</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login