Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What the heck is a "full detail"????

Posted by Superior Shine 
Re: What the heck is a "full detail"????
April 12, 2005 09:24PM
<HTML>That was my point Bud. What they sell is not a full detail but the sign says full detail and the general public is confused. They see "Detail" for $50 then call a dedicated detail shop and hear prices in the hundreds. They are not educated enough to know the difference. thats why we are asking what the heck is a full detail? I just think it should be defined as what the car needs. I dont know how to do it but but the industry needs some kind of guide line. Detail should be assosiated w/ Quality, and experience, as well as time and money. and when you see signs for "$50 detail" it distorts that.
Maybe it cant be done. I remember when I started my mobile business, I was in an upscale shopping strip doing a brand new corvette and a person from a worse area of town pulled up, asked how much for and exterior wash, I told them $20 for the outside, the look on thier face was amuzing, they were shocked! I mean they can get a $3 wash from the gas station Im sure they were thinking, but I hand wash, hand dry, clean wheel wells, tires and wheels. dress tires and wheel wells and wipe wheels again by hand to remove overspray, and do outside windows as well as door jams. I think Im to cheap! but Im biased. Now I call that a car wash but how do you compare the two?
and Im glad to hear your Jacket is holding up</HTML>

Vince
Re: What the heck is a &quot;full detail&quot;????
April 12, 2005 10:29PM
<HTML>Vince:

The carwashes are offering what they call Express MAINTENANCE Detail Services. I have been working for the past several years to get the carwash operator to verbalize this to their customers.

That they are turning up the engine, not rebuilding it.

You complain about what the carwashes say about detailing, but if you read this post you will see that detailers cannot even agree what constitutes a "full detail."

If you go back to the history of detailing when a person said detailing it meant everything: engine; wheels, trunk, interior and buff, polish and wax the paint and dressing on tires and trim.

So, to me that is a complete detail. Yet newbees to the industry have already decided that they do not want to do engines, so they leave that out and say what they do is a complete detail. Yet others do an engine.

Some include the trunk as part of the interior, others do not.

There are even some detailers who think that they can do the same type of express detailing that carwashes offer.

There is no consistency in this industry because no one company has established a standard. The standard now is whatever the detailer in a given city wants it to be.

To clarify what you said about "what the car needs." You cannot just say that is a full detail, because some detailers do not offer all that the car needs.

What you can say is that y ou are a full service restoration shop, vs an express maintenance detailing operation.

How does that sound to you?

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
April 13, 2005 03:25AM
<HTML>For me a "full detail" is just that.....a FULL and complete, inside and out, bumper to bumper "detail".

It's not "half" a detail but rather a "full". If a person calls me and asks me what I charge for a full detail I tell that person my prices start at $250. I get the reply many times, "Yeah but my Porsche is brand new" My reply is, "My full details, even on a new car, start at $250 because I am still going to take at least 5 hours or more on detailing your new car"

If they only want a wash and a wax I'll explain to them the difference and allow them to decide.

My full details include the engine, door jambs, under the hood, remove the seats if possible, steam clean, carpets stainguarded, headliner cleaned, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I am doing a 2002 Corvette for a upcoming car show. I told the cars owner I would do ONLY the exterior for $300. It is fairly clean as he has shown it many times before but it will need to be clayed and machine polished and I will spend a good part of the day just doing the exterior. He asked me if I remove the wheels and I said I sure can but that will be an extra $25 per wheel. He declined. He calls me today and asks me if I can now detail the interior and I said sure, for another $100. He agreed. My point is to be firm on your pricing and don't give in if they seem like your prices may be too high. That shows them you are a push over.

This Vette detail is nice and the money is right but if he had said "no" it would of neither made me nor broke me. Yet if I had went down in price he would of surely lost respect for me. Menu pricing has its place but if you are a one man show, like myself, and doing more of the (for lack of a better word) "custom" detailing then menu pricing just doesn't work well.

I look at a full detail as a few steps and a few days short of a concours detail.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
April 13, 2005 03:41AM
<HTML>ok allot of explainations.

Here is where I am lost, most of you posted something like this, ----

"For me a "full detail" is just that.....a FULL and complete, inside and out, bumper to bumper "detail".

Keeping that in mind which of the following is a full detail?

vehicle 1. wash, clay, wax, int.vac, leather treatment, tire dress, windows.

vehicle 2. wash, clay, compound, polish, wax, int. vac, int. shampoo, leather treatment, tire dress, windows

All surfaces on both vehicles got cleaned. Is one service "FULLER" than the other?

I refuse to use the term "full" or "complete" when explaining a detail. It dosn't make any sence.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
April 13, 2005 01:34PM
<HTML>Hey Joe,

In short for me a "full" detail is one that includes whatever steps are necessary to get the interior as clean, spot free, odor free and conditioned as possible and to get the exterior as scratch free, swirl free, clean, highly polished and sealed as possible.

In your examples if "vehicle 1" did not need a compund then you price according and it is still a full detail (less the engine but this is just hypothetical).

For example "vehicle 2" it needed a compound, polish and shampoo. For this individual car this would be a full detail because it needed more attention and again you price according. So it is not which one is "more FULLER" but rather what steps are needed to get the car as clean, spot free, odor free and conditioned as possible and to get the exterior as scratch free, swirl free, clean, highly polished and sealed as possible.

If Vehicle #2 did not want these extra steps then I would not consider it a FULL detail. If they had swirls/marring but did not want to pay the extra money to have it corrected but only wanted a wash-wax-vacuum-windows then I, personally, would not consider it a full detail, more like an "express" detail.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
April 14, 2005 01:10AM
<HTML>Anthony,
Very clear and to the point.
Nice discription.

I could go with that.</HTML>

April 14, 2005 01:41AM
<HTML>Anthony's definition and Jose's support typifies the reason one should not post prices for packages.

How so?

Since none of the detailers on the forum have really been able to define what a Full Detail really is, it is clear that it is whatever the car requires whether the customer chooses to buy what you suggest or not.

So, you sell to the need of the car and quote a price based on your hourly rate that reflects your operational costs which include your salary, benefits and PROFIT divided by your sellable hours per month.

A full detail is then, whatever the car needs and the price is hourly rate times hours to do the work.

Easy.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
April 14, 2005 01:44AM
<HTML>"A full detail is then, whatever the car needs and the price is hourly rate
times hours to do the work."

---------------- BEAUTIFUL!!! --------------------</HTML>

April 14, 2005 02:00AM
<HTML>Jose:

Glad you agree!!!

So now we will not have posting from detailers asking what price to charge for this and for that.

PRICING is based on your hourly rate (explained above) times the hours to do the work.

We are getting somewhere aren't we.

Missed you at the Car Care World Expo.

Saludos

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
April 14, 2005 02:15AM
<HTML>Ahh, geee, folks!!

I do believe that over at the Delphi Forum, a few years back, we sort of had this conversation.

Do any of you "old timers" recall when "somebody" said that you had to "bill" a certain amount per hour of work, to make money??

You had to "bill" a certain amount per hour of work to make a living?

Do any of you "old timers" recall how many of you responded "I will be out of business if I charged that amount!"?

How many now, price their work at or close to that amount??

Bud is right, and when I put that "amount" up, most said I was "nuts".

I do not disagree that I am a bit "nuts", but then I am old and cranky, so no big deal to me.

The point that Bud, Steve Okum, me, etc, most of who have been around awhile longer than some have been adults, have been saying is "it's a BUSINESS, the passion for things is great for the enthusists, but if you are trying or believe that you can "make a living" in the detailing industry, you better understand, "business", the cost of doing business.

Layer of waxes, spending hours and hours to remove an imperfection that should, with proper diagnois, indicate a trip to the bodyshop's paint booth, is the only real answer, is for the "amaturers"!

This is not professional's who have to make house, car, insurance, etc payments from their labors!!

Buying a fancy trailer, or fancy equipment, some "snake oil" chemical's, does not make a professional, a "PROFESSIONAL", that is NOT enough to succeed.

Being able to make 5 to 10 of your buddies happy with your detailing "expertise", does not make you a "PROFESSIONAL"!

Most here know these facts, but the "hackers", the "anal enthusists", don't know anything about what it takes to be a "Professional Businessman, who just happens to have chosen Detailing as their business!"

I am done, kick me, shout at me, tell me whatever, I am old, been there, done that, give it your best shot.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
April 14, 2005 02:30AM
<HTML>Ron:

A very, very excellent post and I hope that the message gets home.

Being a great detailer, being a perfectionist is great for the car enthusiast or when you detial your own car, but the reality is that most customers do not want to pay for the "anal retentiveness" of most detailers.

Detailing is a business and it must be run like a business.

If a detailer wants to anal retentive then he must target customers that are just like he/she is and charge them accordingly.

However most anal retentive people do not like anyone else to do the work, because they cannnot do it right so they do it themselves.

Regards
Bud ABraham</HTML>

buda
May 09, 2005 12:31AM
<HTML>After they ask, as the comedian would say...
"Here's Your Sign"

Pricing should be: If you have to ask, you can't afford it.</HTML>
May 09, 2005 08:13PM
<HTML>Exactly!

Ask them what they would like done to their car in detail, then pull out your inspection sheet with them standing there and go through it with them. By the end of your inspection and conversation with them, you and your customer will know three things:

1. More about them and their vehicle.
2. How to solve the issues at hand.
3. How much easier this is than guessing at pricing, etc.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
May 11, 2005 01:09PM
<HTML>Hi all. Just been reading your suggestions disputes and ideas. I myself am not in car detailing, yet contemplating starting my own business. I must say I do agree about the fact that detailing can vary greatly from one to another. I take particular pride in my own car and Iam a great believer that I do your car to the standards I would mine. My downfall would be that I take too long. But of course to become a pro I am going to need a lot of advice and ideas of what products and what type of instruments I will need to make the job quicker.Meaning Industrial vacs engine cleaners pressure sprayers etc. I would appreciate any ideas you could help me get started with.
Sincerely</HTML>

Silvya
Dan
May 11, 2005 02:36PM
<HTML>Silvya,
You could do a search on this forum and find all of those items you mentioned. Theres a lot of past information.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
January 24, 2006 03:38AM
<HTML>Gina,

I like the engine as an up sell. We do the same. We also have a waiver that needs to be signed before we touch the engine.

Here is a good question--

What is the value of an engine detail??

I ask because we can do an engine detail on a newer car in about 10 - 20 minutes and I charge a additional hour of labor for it.</HTML>

January 24, 2006 04:19AM
<HTML>Joe:

Engine is an upsell and requires a signed disclaimer, I do not like bundling services and prefer the ala carte approach because it allows me to have a higher ticket.

I find consumers and especially men are willing to pay to clean an engine and have a greater respect for the value of this work because it is now serious business since you are not giving it away. I do not look at it as an hour of my time but a different category of service

I have different levels of engine cleaning with a starting range..some people go off road and mud is caked up everywhere

Engine degreasing top and bottom start $85.00
Engine degreasing top and bottom and jacking up the front and degreasing the frront undercarriage (mechanics around here ask their clients to have it done start $125.00
Engine Detailing for show and competition start $250.00
painting, polishing, you know the drill</HTML>
January 27, 2006 07:31PM
<HTML>Hello Joe,

I checked out your website earlier today and can say that I am impressed.

I am a little confused on what your billing process is. I currently charge a customer vehicle instead of by the hour. Are you saying that you are billing customers by the hour? I have pondered the thought, as I own a collision shop as well as a detailing service and have found that customers on the detail end do not respond well to being billed hourly as well as they would on the collision end. Please clarify if you are indeed billing hourly or are just incorporating the engine detail charge as a flat rate.</HTML>

X-Calibur 1 Auto Detailing / Paint / Collision Repair
12626 Old Jefferson HWY.
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225)756-5551
January 28, 2006 12:49AM
<HTML>What do you mean the customer does not respond well to hourly billing of detail services?

The business is your business, not the customers. If it costs you so much an hour to run your business you must so charge. How can you then set a price on a detail when you do not see the car?? You can't.

We set the customer's perception, not the other way around.

The collision repair industry has basically told the customer that the only way they are getting a price is by estimate.

As far as detailing is concerned, so few people really know about detailing and/or purchase it, we need to give them estimates.

People only demand a price because they do not know what else to ask with regard to detailing so they ask price.

What you do is explain to them you need to see the car in order to give them an accurate price. If they persist tell them your hourly rate and a detail can take from 1 hour to more than 5 hours, depending on size and condition of the vehicle.

That is the fiscally responsible way to do things in the business of detailing.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
January 29, 2006 12:39AM
<HTML>Even in the collision industry billing by the hour turns into a major headache. For example: Replacement of a Jeep bumper will pay 1.2 hours by insurance standards. Actual time of replacement is closer to 15 minutes in most situations not including paint time if needed. If you were charging a customer by the hour and they stood in your waiting room and watched you finish would you charge them 15 minutes or the 1.2 hours?

Some detailers are quicker than others. Is it right to pay the slower detailer more money just because he takes more time? When you write a detailing invoice do you fractionalize the detail time?

There is a movement in the collision industry to get away from charging by the hour. It's extremely confusing to the customer and it causes headaches for the shop owner on occasion.</HTML>

X-Calibur 1 Auto Detailing / Paint / Collision Repair
12626 Old Jefferson HWY.
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
(225)756-5551
January 29, 2006 07:31AM
<HTML>Everyone has their own opinion on how to price. The detail business is not encumbered with insurance companies or manuals telling us how much we can charge.

The fiscally responsible thing to do is know how much you want to take out of the business including benefits for your efforts; how much profit you want to make, usually a minimum of 10% to 15% and then your cost of sales, variable expenses and fixed expenses and divide that total by your total sellable hours per month to determine an hourly rate to charge.

This hourly rate helps you to know "where you are" in terms of achieving your financial goals and to know the lowest price you can charge.

Certainly, if your market will allow you to charge more, than be all means charge more, but NEVER charge less.

If you want to price a different way, that certainly is your perogative but I suggest you know your costs of operation

REgards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
February 12, 2006 10:46PM
<HTML>If you have to ask you should not be detailing.

Gary Pendleton</HTML>

Gary Pendleton
Pro Wash Consulting
gary@prowash consulting.com
February 13, 2006 02:00AM
<HTML>Gary,

Thank you for your wisdom.

And I thought my hamster was smart!</HTML>

February 13, 2006 02:40AM
<HTML><<And I thought my hamster was smart! >>

You cracke me up sometimes (lol)</HTML>
March 15, 2006 02:08PM
<HTML>bud, what exactly is it your refering to when you say "buff", polish and wax ? are you trying to say that you apply polish and wax with a buffer or are you implying that you clean/compound the paint before polishing and applying wax. i could see as to where this could be just as confusing as any other misinformation there might be.</HTML>
March 15, 2006 03:18PM
<HTML>John:

Sorry, if my use of terms was confusing for you. What I meant/mean by "buff, polish and wax is the following:

a. Buff - using a rotary buffer; a cutting pad and compound to correct some defects in the paint finish.

b. Polish - using a rotary buffer, a polishing pad and a swirl remover/polish to remove the buffing swirls and polish the paint to a smooth high shine.

c. Wax - using either an orbital or by hand the application of a wax or paint sealant to protect the paint.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 05, 2006 12:42AM
<HTML>BUMP -</HTML>

February 10, 2009 12:41PM
I agree with you Bud. All detailers do things differently,but we should have a standard to go by. My full detail includes all you listed,excluding the engine. So I guess mine is not a FULL detail. I charge extra for engines, because then I need the keys and now I have taken another responsibility not to loose them or lock them in the car.
May 07, 2009 06:01PM
flex-
I think you should overcome your fear of taking the customer's keys. You need the keys to move the car so you can dress the entire sidewall. You could lock yourself out or accidentally trigger a theft alarm and need the key to remedy the situation.

You'll do better to tag each key and keep it in your pocket with your own keys. That is a simple, intuitive and secure procedure.

Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login