Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

leather & Vinyl repair

Posted by rsrtuning 
leather & Vinyl repair
March 28, 2005 08:01AM
<HTML>Hi all.
Have been getting a few inquieries from clients on repairs in scratched, leather, all the way to torn leather, and also some vinyl repair, all from smaller cuts to larger deeper marks.
Have not had any experience in this, and have had to not been able to help these clients.
I know it must be something that i could learn though, and i have done some searching on the net and found quiet a few different makers of these kits, some not offering anything else than the kits, and some offering 1 week hand on training.
So is a week of training , if i am a good learner, sufficient to start accepting minor repairs, and then later on improoving as time goes by to be able to do more advanced repairs, or is it all just a hoax to think that this is possible.
Is a week just to short, is the whole process just too difficult, or do i go ahead and spend my money for these kits, with training.
we have seen the kits for paintless dentrepair advertised the same way, with a weeks training, and at our shop we do use a guy for this, and hes a master, and he only laughs at the one week become a paintless dent repair spec. in a week courses, hes been doing it for 20 odd years, and says it took him at least 6 months to even get it half right.

Anyone out there that knows about any of this, and could help shed some light on the subject.
I have allready searched within the forum, but not found any post that grabs the subject by the Ba**s, and tells it like it is.
so Id be happy on aNY INPUT ON THE VINYL, LEATHER REPAIR SUBJECT.

RoB</HTML>
Dan
Re: leather &amp; Vinyl repair
March 28, 2005 03:49PM
<HTML>The repairs Ive seen from such professionals, in my opinion, havent been the greatest. Small areas could be done well, but you always run the risk of the stuff bleeding when you clean it. The bad repairs Ive seen involve the whole front of the seat or the entire back of the seat sprayed, and you cant clean the seat anymore or else it will bleed and run. But, a small area repair should be fine. This is just my opinion, I could have just run into some bad repair jobs and their could be some good ones out there.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
March 28, 2005 11:47PM
<HTML>I am a leather tech and all I can say is that there is alot of people selling hype in thier schools and equipment these days. Good leather repair is possible but be very careful of who you train with. One week will allow you a good base but just like any craft...you will need practice to make you a true pro!

As Dan pointed out there seems to be plenty of junk out there and very few pros! I do high-end leather repair and specialize in color matching. Repairing tears and holes is a tough job and I stay more on the color matching side of the business.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
March 29, 2005 04:09PM
<HTML>Excellent leather and viny repair is possible and is done all the time...if one is trained properly and one is willing to practice the craft well.

The whole concept of the repair is to camoflauge the area that is damaged so that it blends in with the sorrounding area. This kind of camoflauge is achieved with different techniques.

If a repair is done properly on top coated leather no paint or dye should rub off or bleed. The only time color is removed or bleeds is when the technician has not applied a top coat on to the leather to seal in the color. In the case of analine dye it will always rub off because this is an inherent characteristic of this type of leather.

If you have an artistic creative patient personality, and are not color blind (many men are color blind) you can successfully make almost invisible repairs to leather and vinyl.</HTML>
March 29, 2005 04:34PM
<HTML>You going to the ICA show?

See page 109 in the new Prof. Carwash and Detailing just came in the mail today.

That is what we talked about on the phone, will be introducing it at the show.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login