Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What the Heck is an Express Detail Service?

Posted by Bud Abraham 
What the Heck is an Express Detail Service?
April 01, 2005 01:57PM
<HTML>Since the question, What the Heck is a Full Detail generated so many good postings I thought I might ask what you all thought an express detail service was to see what kind of continuity we got.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: What the Heck is an Express Detail Service?
April 01, 2005 02:12PM
<HTML>OK I will go first; I believe it is a minimal cleaning that can be done quickly on vehicles that aren’t very dirty.

To use food as an analogy- it would be a snack and not a 7 course meal.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
April 01, 2005 02:29PM
<HTML>I would say that a express detail is a wash , vacuum, windows, wipe down interior, dress tires, cleaner wax put on with a orbital. Anything less is simply a wash and wax.</HTML>
April 01, 2005 03:43PM
<HTML>I think the term is intended to delude consumers into believing they can get a detail quickly... Most do not realize the two terms are incongrous..how can someone quickly and thorughly clean meticulously anything at the same time.

Anyway it means either an exterior wash and wax or interior wipe down and vacuum a service to be done in 30 minutes or less.

This is where most of the confusion lies...most consumers are equating this type of service with real detailing services</HTML>
April 01, 2005 05:46PM
<HTML>What I find funny is that each market and that markets propective customers have thier own idea of what an express detail is.

Its not viewed the same across the board. Within our middle class markets, those customers seem to expect more from an express. What I mean by more is that market desires that paint protection be part of the service. Within our higher end markets, they desire a very involved wash with all the side dishes such as tire dressing, cup holder/ash tray cleaning and the windows spotless.

The price of these services are also vastly apart within our organization also as we get nearly double for the express within the higher-end markets as we do for the express within a middle class market...but the middle class expect more bang...for less$$. Can you guess which market we go after???</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
OK, Can a Freestanding Detail Business Offer Express Detail Services???
April 01, 2005 06:31PM
<HTML>Great answers to the question. Have another question to ask you all:

Based on your answers, do you think that a freestanding detail operation can offer what the carwash industry is calling "Express Detail Services?"

Thanks

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: OK, Can a Freestanding Detail Business Offer Express Detail Services???
April 01, 2005 08:07PM
<HTML>I would not want to conjoin the word express and detail within a "freestanding detail" operation as it would dilute the value of real detailing services.

It would also have to be done successfully in 30 minutes or less for either interior or exterior services and one cannot succesfully make money charging around $30 for either of the services by hand only.

A better service offering would be custom hand washing with a sliding scale interior cleaning charge. One could charge based on the time and scope of cleaning to be done, additional upsell could come from spot/stain removal, minor shampoo, or full shampoo, quick hand wax, touch up, buffing out scratches, mat cleaning, glass polishing, leather cleaning and conditioning. the list of upsell is endless.

Of course this type of service should be distinctly seperate from detailing with its own cleaning crew...you do not want your detailing crew to get any ideas about short-cuts and begin to dilute your detailing services</HTML>
April 01, 2005 09:50PM
<HTML>I agree with Gina. An express detail is meant for the carwashing industry mainly but a free standing detail shop doing just express details is unlikely to be profitable.

Instead of express details, I offer "maintenance details" -- for those in between completes. My maintenance details consist of:

Wash and "HydroShine" (Gloss enhancement wax and dry)
Vacuum interior
Wipe entire interior clean with a damp microfiber
Dress Tires
Clean glass

No clay; no polishing; no real waxing; no stain removal (just dirt on seats and such); no shampoo or extracting.

For $45 in an hours service isn't too bad. Better quality than a carwash and worth every penny.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 02, 2005 01:08AM
<HTML>Our organization already offers that service and it does not "dilute the value of real detailing services" but adds value to our business by offering a full line of services that appeals to a greater number of possible customers. Again, you need to educate your customer base and over the years we have done just that.

We started out aiming towards the high-end...still do but now have added a few services that appeal to a wider brush stroke of customers. This added service has done two things.

1. It's allowed our customers to utilize a service that maintains the vehicle between "full detail service". This has increased the number of times we see customers over the span of a year thus has increased the total amount a customer spends with us during the year.

2. People that would normally visit less "skilled" businesses now have a service with us that they can afford and with our education system they know and understand what they are getting and what they are not getting. Wording and presentation is key!

Now I will share the fact that we refuse to do an express on a vehicle that needs a full! This allows us to maintain a higher quality standard and simply adds to the education process. Some people are not pleased that they are in need of much a much more involved service but we feel we are providing a good service for these folks...many hackers would just do what they could, take the money and leave the customer with a vehicle still in need of a full and extensive detail.

Its taken five years for this service to become what it is today but the service has added value to our full details...not de-valued them and has increased the number of fulls we are doing while also helping the bottom line!

Within economically challenged markets this approach will not work but within markets with a high rate of disposable cash...we take full advantage of the menu we have established!

Hope that helps at least a tad Bud!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
Dan
April 02, 2005 02:59AM
<HTML>Since this industry has no standards, I dont know if our 6 week detail falls under the "Express" service. We start the customer out with our full detail, a complete checklist is gone through and all said areas of the car are cleaned and detailed, then every 6 weeks we come back and do the same exact thing all over again. Of course in 6 week intervals, the job is much easier, BUT, we make sure all of the areas covered in our full detail service are cleaned, usually these areas dont need much.

Here is a break down

Full Detail to start 2 1/2 to 5 hours

6 week Maintenance Detail 1.5 hours per car- Includes light claying, maintenance wax, leather conditioning, basically everything and anything to make the vehicle look detailed. This service is getting pretty popular with the 2 car deal at $95 each car. Normal price is $120-150 per car when there is only 1 car to do at 1 single location.

Does that fall under express service?

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.COM</HTML>
April 02, 2005 05:35AM
<HTML>Dan,

That is much how we sell/approach the service also! Our pricing varies dependent on the condition of the vehicle and how ofton they are performing the service. We like to touch the car every two weeks with an express performed twice a year and a full performed twice a year and the remaining services being a deluxe wash and vac with all the minor side items included.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
Dan
April 02, 2005 02:57PM
<HTML>Renny,
Sounds really good. Could you break that down? I dont really understand how your services work, are you washing the car every two weeks? When do you detail? If you have any questions about my service, dont hesitate to ask. I might not be able to read your response for a few days, going to Vegas this morning. Thanks!

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
April 02, 2005 09:04PM
<HTML>Example only:

Jan 1 - Full Detail

A wash every other week (replaces normal wash for that period)

April 1 - Express

A deluxe wash every two weeks (replaces normal wash for that period)

July 1- Full Detail (replaces normal wash for that period)

A deluxe every other week

Oct 1 - Express (replaces normal wash for that period)

A deluxe wash every other week

Start over again Jan 1. (replaces normal wash for that period)

We allow lots of freedom on this and many do a wash every week but no less or the cost for the customer goes up! In the event they miss a service this could also cause additional charge. This is our clean car package and its performed very well for us within all six of our locations.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
April 06, 2005 12:42PM
<HTML>Thanks for all the replies and interesting thoughts on the subject. Which are correct and which are not? The answers reflect exactly what we found with answers to the "full detail" question.

What the carwash industry calls "Express Detail Services" are what I would call MAINTENANCE DETAIL SERVICES. That is, services that are performed on a new car or one that is in good condition to maintain it's condition.

A wash and wax; light carpet shampoo; seat shampoo, etc. Anything service really that can be performed in 30 minutes or less.

Kind of like tuning up an engine rather than rebuilding it.

However, the key word in addition to adding MAINTENANCE, is the word EXPRESS.

What has made the services so popular at a carwash are the following:

a. Customer is already at the wash, more convenient
b. The customer does not have to make an appointment
c. The customer can have the service anytime they want it
d. It takes 30 minutes or less
e. It is low cost because they automatically wash the car and the
carwash business pays all the overhead for the detail operation so
the labor and material cost to do an express service is less than
$6.00 per car.

Yes, a mobile or fixed location can offer MAINTENANCE Detail Services, but they cannot meet all the conditions of a carwash EXPRESS Detail Service, so in my mind a detail operation cannot really offer Express MAINTENANCE Detailing Services as defined by the carwash industry.

In fact, why would you want to offer services that are so cheap? You have to hand wash and dry the car which is more labor for you, raising the cost.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
April 06, 2005 09:42PM
<HTML>I am still amazed to even hear or see the word "cheap" when it comes to detailing or car washing. I feel the car wash industry has really performed a number on themselves on trying to be the "cheapest". Many I have talked with tell me the washing services are second profit centers with store sales being the major bread winner within their businesses?

In many parts of So Cal you see small hand washes springing up and many of these guys are getting $30-45 to wash a car! In some ways I see the low cost wash becoming more and more worthless to the consumer due in part to the qaulity they are offered. With this said, as detailing professionals there is a nice size market for upper-end wash services.

Joe from Superior Shine and I had a conversation about washing and prices this week...Joe is at the same point we have come to...you either charge for quality or simply do not offer the service...many are willing to pay because the options are not worthy in many areas of the country.</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
www.detailingsuccess.com
PDTA Member
April 07, 2005 05:09AM
<HTML>Bud,

If a customer is going to pay me $45 for a maintenance detail (express detail in carwash terms) which takes an hour, I will do it without thinking about the labor involved. Why would I offer services that are so cheap? Like Renny said, it's not cheap. Second, it takes an hour. Third, I make a nice profit and yes my hourly rate is met. Fourth, when it comes time for their car to be fully detailed for the beginning or end of year, it's just easier to do whereas a neglected car would increase more labor time and chemical useage.

I'm sure all will agree with me that a express detail from a carwash isn't as satisfactory as one from a detail shop/mobile operator.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login