Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Problems with Engine Steam cleaning?

Posted by Stephen Britz 
Problems with Engine Steam cleaning?
April 04, 2005 07:55PM
<HTML>Anybody here know the exact reasons why you leave the engine running during engine steamcleaning or the exact reasons why you do not leave the engine running during steam cleaning.

What's it going to be? running or not running?</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Re: Problems with Engine Steam cleaning?
April 05, 2005 12:52AM
<HTML>I choose not running. It would be a safety issue with the various components moving about in the engine bay. Second would be the issue of damage. A running engine will suck water into the air filter and it isn't designed to do so. Also hot metal (aluminum in paticular) is prone to warping and cracking if doused with water.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
April 05, 2005 02:04AM
<HTML>Joe,

I am trying to understand the "steam cleaning" way.

After all, that is a very old term, and takes a real "steam cleaner", plus as is shown on the PDTA website, from Ford and GM, the use of that hot of water is not the way to do the cleaning of new motors.

Hell, when a kid, cleaning the farm machinery trade in's at my dad's farm machinery dealership, it was the only way.

Of course, that was WAY before your time, like from 1953 to 1962.

We did a survey for Ford, the old Chrysler Corp. and GM on this back in the late 80's and early 90's, damage done, etc, which is where the advisory on the PDTA site, started.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
April 05, 2005 06:31AM
<HTML>Hot Water Pressure Washing.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
April 05, 2005 12:43PM
<HTML>Yeah, very hot water, very high pressure.

Read the advice from Ford and GM on the PDTA site.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
April 07, 2005 05:18AM
<HTML>I always have the engine off. On a cool engine, I spray SKID on all electronic sensors and anything that is "delicate" or may make one worry about detailing an engine. With the cleaning power and waterproof coating of skid, there is no real need to worry.

Engine off!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>Brian,

This skid product sounds very interesting. How can we learn more about it? Thanks!</HTML>
April 07, 2005 04:23PM
<HTML>Hi Bill,

SKID is a WD-40 type product. Cleans and coats at te same time. It's a Stoner, Inc. product and can be found at [www.criticalcleaning.com]

Great stuff!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>Ah, ok, thanks Brian.

This stuff seems similar to Kano Labs' Kroil. [www.kanolabs.com] This stuff is absolutely phenomenal! It's gotten me out of some tough situations very well. I am so happy with it I bought a gallon.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login