buda
Re: Why Does CLUB SODA Work on Stains
April 06, 2005 01:05PM
<HTML>Oxygen rich, oxidizes, ie, breaks up the substance.</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
April 06, 2005 01:37PM
<HTML>Ron:

Thank you. So, is Oxi-Clean nothing but Club Soda?

And, if Club Soda breaks down the staining substance, why do we need stain removers for such things as red dye; tannins; tar & grease, etc.?

Thanks, as usual, for your knowledgeable and infomrative replies.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
April 06, 2005 04:34PM
<HTML>I think oxi-clean is more like peroxide.</HTML>
April 06, 2005 08:39PM
<HTML>I gave a "quicky", but that is the real base of the Oxy type cleaners, based on the hydrogen proxide used for years, very, very oxygen rich.

Some chemist figured out how to trap the oxygen molecules in a dry powder, if my memory serves me right.

When the infommercials for Oxy-Clean first started, was at our plant that the chemist team is located, and asked Randy about it, he pulled out some dry, white powder and said, "you mean this?", and proceeded to demonstrate what it would do and not do. Guess the compound had been around a while, just no body had figured out how to "whiz-bang" market it.

Down side for washing clothes, it is breaks down the fabric much earlier, the clothes don't last as long.

Not sure regarding your other questions, but after the show, when I get caught up, will check with Randy and the chemist team.

Ketch</HTML>

April 06, 2005 09:53PM
<HTML>Bud , I'll give this a shot . A carpet cleaner told me about this a little while ago , he told me first you have to understand the difference between a "dye" and a "stain" .

A dye is soluble , a stain is oil based and causes a change in the pigment .

A dye can be removed with a water based product , such as Baking Soda mixed with water. Red food dye/Tannin is an example so Baking soda would remove this, as it might other organic compounds.

With a stain, (Oil/Grease) , the pigment in the stain changes the pigment of the surface that is stained (the carpet) and it is insoluble. It will require a solvent based product to remove it . Even after cleaning the color of the carpet will still be slightly different depending on what caused the stain.

This is what my carpet cleaning guy told me , only he explained it in much better terms . He also told me that a stain can include dyes, then he got really complicated after that and I cant recall exactly what he said .

Jim .</HTML>
April 06, 2005 11:54PM
<HTML>Dang, this is a good topic.

If club soda can remove 'red stains' (or blue, purple, orange) that are caused by juice boxes, slurpees, etc..., why am I still using 2 part Red Stain Remover? And that friggin steam iron?

Gawd, I have to try this on my next RS job. There's a janitorial supply store here that may carry a powder. Maybe just club soda first???

Regards,
Mike</HTML>

-Get that great new car feeling!-
April 07, 2005 12:16AM
<HTML>You got me, not sure if it works that way or not.

Like Jim said in his post, and as Bud knows, each stain is a bit different, depending on what created it.

Like red dye stains, which red dye and was there a lot of sugar in the fluid plays a big part in wether you can get it out or not.

Ketch</HTML>

April 07, 2005 12:27AM
<HTML>I think it was FD&C #2 red.

LOL, kidding.

Speaking of red stains, how/why does that friggin steam iron work with the 2 part deal?

In other words, is it the iron action moreso than the cleaning agent that works, or visa-versa?

Mike</HTML>

April 07, 2005 02:19AM
<HTML>Mike, I use the ammonia based products too with the iron and have no clue what the chemical process is there !

Some Red stains come right out, some dont . Red#40, the most common dye/additive used in these drinks is one of those synthetic dyes where you will need to use the ammonia/heat proces as the pigments in this dye actually change the color of the carpet.

Jim.</HTML>
April 07, 2005 02:30AM
<HTML>Hi Jim,

I too, have had incedents where the RS would not come out completely.

I've heard that blotting this up properly right way (not weeks or months later), will make removal more effective. ??

Seems to show more on lighter grays/beiges. Conversely, the end result is significant improvement.

Thanks,

Mike</HTML>

April 07, 2005 02:35AM
<HTML>Thats right Mike.

I have three young kids who love anything with additives, sugar and food dyes , and when they spill on the carpet I place loads of kitchen towel on it and let it soak it up, you can just about remove all the spill and have no stain.

Jim.</HTML>
April 07, 2005 02:38AM
<HTML>Since we're on the subject,

Those using 2 part red stain remover, what does your supplier say about shelf life once mixed.

To those in the industry, any info on how this chemical reaction occurs and why there's the "window of opportunity" regarding usage time?

Mike</HTML>

April 07, 2005 02:45AM
<HTML>Ahh, yes Jim.

Detailing and children will make one the wiser. My girl is 3 and my son is 11 months. Momma's not so easy on the turbo, coffee upside down on the floorboard sometimes. Now we keep a "first-aid" kit with glass cleaner, spot remover, terry's, MF's, quick detail, ........... Ya never know.

The kids can go without while in the vehicle when it comes to those drinks. Water and such, OK. Can't stop momma with her coffee, though.

Mike</HTML>

April 07, 2005 05:15AM
<HTML>Wanna show the kiddies a neat trick?

Pour a glass of red wine in a glass. Next, pour a few teaspoons of ammonia in the glass. Watch the red wine instantly turn to white wine. No trace of red.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 07, 2005 01:59PM
<HTML>AND WASTE A GLASS OF WINE!!!</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
April 07, 2005 08:57PM
<HTML>LOL, Good one Joe!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login