Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Snake Oil Salesman

Posted by Anthony Orosco 
Snake Oil Salesman
April 12, 2005 02:05PM
<HTML>Perhaps coming to a Sams or Costco parking lot near you is a band of jolly "excited" salespeople to sell you not just one, not just 2 but several.....yes several aerosol cans of their tried and true "EZWAX"!

I had a bit of a heated debate with these guys on my local Sams parking lot. As we pulled up they would greet you at your car asking to provide you with a "live" demo of their wonder wax. My wife rolls her eyes and sorta says, "Oh no, here we go"

I saw that the banner they had made several claims, like "Removes Tree Sap" and "Removes Oxidation" "Cleans and Waxes". I asked the guy how it removes oxidation and his reply was...and I kid you not..."It's magic!" I just looked dead at him with no expression and his smirk disappeared and then he said..."I dunno, there is some special ingredients in it......let me ask the owner"

Well when I asked the owner how it removes oxidation and he went on to explain how paint is a chemical so his product has chemical cleaners in it. Makes sense, afterall in order to remove road tar and sap it has to have solvents in it, right? Yet in order to "remove" swirls it has to have abrasives in it (by the way their truck looked like crap) or it has to have fillers in it that hide the swirls. It is claimed to be a "non-abrasive" product though.

These guys have no idea what a swirl is, what oxidation is, that clear coats don't really oxidize (like pigmented paint) and when I tried to explain this to the owner he gets very defensive, rather nasty in his attitude truthfully (by now a few people had gathered), so I walked off. "Grumpy" told me that the midwest and East may see more of these "snake oil" salespeople as the West coast cracks down on the VOC's, so be on the look out!

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Re: Snake Oil Salesman
April 12, 2005 04:15PM
<HTML>I recently saw a few at the Daytona Car Show. I made sure to point,laugh real loud and slap my knees. They were a bit early for April Fools.</HTML>
April 12, 2005 11:03PM
<HTML>I keep my vette parked facing the road right next to the front door,,one day I opened the door and 2 guys were watching another demo something on my wheels...I calmly asked "Dude what are you doing...Two guys watching said they asked if he worked here and he said yes...Then I got mad...Two fellows where stopping in to get Beamer detailed for spring break and said the guy was tring to sell them the greatest clean all ever made.Looked just like the stuff my wife uses from the dollar store called Awsome...these people have no shame!!!</HTML>
April 13, 2005 03:05AM
<HTML>That's pretty bold of that guy!

We just had some guy coming around selling a WONDER "all in one" cleaner.....hey you can even gargle with it!!!

You can see these guys comin from a mile away. They usually travel alone, they carry a shoulder bag and sadly look like hired "day help".

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
April 19, 2005 07:34AM
<HTML>Last year or the year before I had a kid come around and try to sell me a bottle of "magic wax" or whatever something like that.

However, Anthony, the removing oxidation, cleaning and protecting the paint is just what Speed Bead from Stoner does. It doesn't remove swirls though. Fade and fills but not removes. Workd great on weathered window seals.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login