Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Who's At Fault?

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Who's At Fault?
April 21, 2005 02:22PM
<HTML>Yesterday I had a full detail on a 2001 Lincoln Towncar and the windshield cracked in my possession. The customer had the windows tinted including the top windshield, and in order to tint the windshield the rear view mirror had to be removed. That's where the cracked started -- at the base of the rear view.

I'm doing the right thing and taking responsibility but if I know I didn't do it, am I still at fault since it happened while I had it?

The guy spent $450 this week on detailing services so the money isn't the problem. The new glass is $240.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Who's At Fault?
April 21, 2005 03:00PM
<HTML>Brian, sounds like you do tinting also? If so, I think it very good policy and customer service to "take the hit"on this one. I know as a customer I would be happy and I would be sure to pass the good word about you around.

Now, if you have another car come in for a detail and the same sort of thing just randomly happened while in your possesion, that would really ruin your day. Even though it wasn't your fault at all , you're probably going to be seen as the one who needs to make it right.

I'm wondering if there is a form you could develop that you would fill out with customers releasing you of liablity. An open and honest discussion about such a situation before you begin the service may also start you off on the right foot with them. I think if customers are debriefed ahead of time , more likely than not, they will be fine with it.

Hope this works out for you. Good experience to share.</HTML>

There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
April 21, 2005 03:10PM
<HTML>Thanks for the reply Bill.

I know how to tint but don't do it professionally. Luckily this customer is a longtime customers of mine and will be understanding. The voicemail he left this morning was actually relaxed. I'll take the hit but not too comfortable about covering my a$$ and saying I didn't do it, since that's what mostly anyone else would say. I know I didn't do it -- just relating I didn't do it to him without sounding like lawyer is the challenge. Will show him what happened and why but will also pay for the damages. I already made an appointment for him to get a replacement without him knowing yet.

You can use the waivers and liability releases but didn't think I would need to in this situation since I dodn't see the crack to begin with. It starts right from the rear view.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

April 21, 2005 10:15PM
<HTML>We do windshield chip repairs on occasion. Last year a lady brought in a Camry with a small chip. Nothing we hadn't done a hundred times. As soon as we tightened the injector the glass just went nuts with cracks! I've never seen anything like it and hope I never do again!

I called the lady, explained what happened, had the windshield replaced the next day (good to have contacts in the business), and turned the bill in to my insurance company. I think the replacement was $400+ and I paid my $50 deductible. No problems...no hassle.

I know it's been beat to death here, but if you don't have professional liability insurance you're just waiting for a MAJOR problem. It's like the old American Express saying..."Don't leave home without it!".

Steve Bough
The Shine Shop
Jasper, Indiana
PDTA Member</HTML>
April 22, 2005 06:19AM
<HTML>I had an employee scratch the heck out of a $3000 windscreen on an airplane last year. We were able to polish out he scratches but I am sure glad I had general liability insurance.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
April 22, 2005 03:28PM
<HTML>After thoroughly examining the crack with the customer, it seems the crack began not from the rear view mirror but a stone chip in the glass. I'm not Mr. Wizard but my guess is that the 85 degree days we've had the past few days wasn't any help when I began the wash with cold water.

Anyway, my customer said he'll pick up the tab but I insisted on paying since it happened in my possession. Customer loves me and my taking responsibility and is now paying half -- since it wasn't my fault. So its like I did a detail for free. Not bad.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

April 22, 2005 05:42PM
<HTML>Wow Brian!

How great! Ah, it sure is nice to run an honest and ethical business and to be rewarded by having a customer who is equally so. Such an experience is going to continue to attract good customers no doubt.</HTML>

There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login