Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Collonite Question

Posted by Keith Boyer 
Collonite Question
April 24, 2005 10:26PM
<HTML>All--
I am thinking about switching exculsively to Collonite for my boats. It has brand name recogniztion and an excellent reputation as a quality product among the boating industry. I have been doing some research and have learned that you must work in a small area at one time with this product. My question is: The instructions on the bottle are for hand use, has anyone used this product with a high speed? If so would green pad work for a regularly maintained boat. Thanks for the help.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
Re: Collonite Question
April 24, 2005 11:29PM
<HTML>I'm not sure if it would be best to apply this protection product via high speed rotary polisher. Via dual action: Porter Cable 7336, yeah, to help speed up the process. I'm unfamilar with the green pads,</HTML>

There is always a way to make it better; a way which we must all strive to learn. ---Sir Henry Royce
April 25, 2005 01:30AM
<HTML>Damned good product.

However, the reasont that the instructions call for "hand application" is that it is a protective wax/sealant blend.

The products they make, and gather that we are on the same thoughts, are not polishes.

That would require that you apply them by either hand or a soft foam pad on a dual action or orbital machine.

To attempt to apply them with a "rotary" would deminish greatly the ability of the "active wax/polymers" to ever have an opportunity to actually get on the surface, in correct amounts and cure.

That would mean that then they won't ever have a chance to do what they were formulated to do.

Plus, look at the directions for "cure" time.

I know the products, fairly well, so don't go exposing them to water for at least 24 hours after application, or the polymer portion will not reach full "cure", which is much different than "dry-wipe off" time.

It's ok to "wipe" off the dry haze, that is "wipe off" time, not "cure" time.

Flush a polymer or synthetic wax type of product with water, before the real catalist, "air" has time to cure them, they will not provide the long term values that you wish to attain.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
April 25, 2005 02:51AM
<HTML>I've happily just located a local source for Collinite. I'm planning on picking up the Insulator Wax. Not a bad thing to have on tap in the tropical FL environment.</HTML>
April 25, 2005 03:56AM
<HTML>Ketch--Thanks for the education, this is why I love this site. I am looking forward to using thier cleaner wax and fleetwax.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
April 27, 2005 03:50PM
<HTML>Good stuff! Hard to find in Jersey though.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 27, 2005 04:27PM
<HTML>Brian,

Mark at Pal Automotive has it, liquid and paste Collinite products. I understand also, some Advance Auto Parts have it in their marine sections.</HTML>

April 28, 2005 01:03PM
<HTML>I went to Pal Automotive yesterday and was so overwhelmed by all the Auto Magic products displayed I forgot to look for Collinite. Doh! Paradise for detailers there!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
April 28, 2005 01:21PM
<HTML>OH yeah! And Mark is a really great guy. This Saturday,for folks who signed up for it, he is having a Meguiars seminar. Rod Kraft is conducting. I went last summer before I moved . All great info. Ketch would be pleased that the alcohol spray down was demonstrated as was the lighted magnifier and the ETG.</HTML>

April 28, 2005 02:07PM
<HTML>Started using the alcohol wash, magnifer and ETG for demo's of what is really going on, let's see, I think it was 89 or 90.

Really opened some eyes, but also pissed off some snake oil sales people.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
December 15, 2006 04:16PM
a note-
Collinite received an overall rating of B- from the Guru Reports( among primium priced carnauba waxes ) and was never( to my knowlege ) tested by Consumer Reports.
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login