Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The next step up to success - WHAT A STRUGGLE!

Posted by Superior Shine 
The next step up to success - WHAT A STRUGGLE!
April 28, 2005 03:40AM
<HTML>For the past 15 years that I have been in business I have for the most part been a one to three man operation. Work has always paid the bills but in November of 2003 we had our first child and my wife quite her job to become a house wife. I stepped the business up and now we gross three times what I did two to three years ago.

We turn out some very nice work. Our work has graced the pages of a few major automotive magazines. We have done work for Meguiars, classic car shows with many awards and trophies being won, and we have clients dating back 14-15 years. We tackle everything from daily drivers, RV to aircraft.

My problem now is that I am suffering growing pains. I am still working in the field and doing all the administrative work. Actually I am wearing all the hats and it is killing me.

I have allot of pretty good ideas and recognize opportunities for growth but I don’t have the time to think straight let alone grow the business more.

I just don’t have the time to become an advertising and marketing expert, salesman, answer phones, quality control, order supplies, set up my new client management software, etc……….

So what now? What is the next step? Do I crawl out of the trenches and hire more employees? Are there consultants for this type of thing?

For those of you that have made it pass where I am now, please chime in as I admire your hard work and determination.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
Re: The next step up to success - WHAT A STRUGGLE!
April 28, 2005 04:04AM
<HTML>Joe,
I highly recommend you spend a few nights reading "The E Myth Revisited" by Michael Gerber. This book will open your eyes to so many new ways of thinking about your business.

The author wrote the book for business owners in your exact situation and I know a handful of businessmen who have realized larger profits and less stress by putting into practice the things talked about in the book.

Congratulations to you for being in the envious position that you are in right now. Thousans (if not millions) of people would love to still be in business after 15 years and you obviously have something good going for you.</HTML>
April 28, 2005 04:17AM
<HTML>Thanks for the advice Christian. I bought the book about four years ago and got most of the way through it before it lost me. I tried reading it a few minutes a day. Your post reminds me that I have it. I will need to dig it out and take the time to read it.

Thanks</HTML>

Dan
April 28, 2005 03:20PM
<HTML>Simplify the detailing process is all I can think of, get the guys on a system if you don’t already. Posting the written process near the chemicals on a board in your van(a brief simplified process), so your guys have no excuse for forgetting, and on top of that have a check list, even for washes. Just something to guide them with the steps needed at what times. Then you will have time for customer service and office stuff.

I still cant see how some guys have multiple vans running. The way I see this business is with me always being present whether I am doing the work or not. Am I crazy here or is this business super hard to operate compared to lets say... plumbing, air conditioning, and even oil changing? Not that I’ve run those types of business, but you don’t see many mobile detail operations with a fleet of vans running simultaneously.

Am I crazy or is this business a constant battle to break down and simplify an art form?

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
April 29, 2005 01:56AM
<HTML>Dan,

It is not that hard, it is a "business", and that is what most that have not survived and or have been profitable for at least 5 years, don't understand.

It's a business, not a "passion", and must be operated as such.

That means a lot of things.

We recently did a "culling" of the Trusted Professional Detailers, by a simple phone call or email.

We do this from time to time.

No less than 5 of 10 that were posted in the last year are "gone", not there, phone disconnected, etc.

Why?

I would have to guess, based on my years in and around this business, they were not "business men", but, either had a passion, or were just assuming it was a way to make a buck without a real "investment"?

So many worry about what "water tank", or what "wax" gives the best shine, what tire dressing smells the best, what is the best "clay", what buffer to buy, and such, that they forget that "it is a business".

A business is just that, a business, one that requires book-keeping, paying taxes, insurance, having repeat customers who pay the bill, etc, and not "how many bucks I made this week, so let's go blow it on a party".

Bud has preached this, I have preached this, Steve Okum has preached this for years and years.

Joe "the Mad Cuban" is now trying to "be a businessman", rather than a "
car guy with a passion for detailing" and will make it work, but is learning the same, as any that really want and desire to be successful, it takes more than running a buffer, what wax to use.

This is what is important, not one customer, today, not how many cars, but what you are able to in pay taxes on at the end of the year.

Sound a little stupid, "what you are able to pay in taxes at the end of the year'?

Think about it, if you didn't make any money, you don't pay taxes and so, you wasted a year.

If you made money and try to cheat, you wont' be around in a year or so anyway.

We all know those kinds, we have seen them come and go around the detailing forums.

That's my take for this evening, "be a businessman".

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
April 29, 2005 02:21PM
<HTML>Very well said! I have been doing the old "root hog or die" thing myself for quite some time. But after March 15th and some advice from my accountant.. I have been going two to three days at a time without picking up a wash mitt?

Now guys this has been one of the hardest things for me to do!! I had this crazy mentality that I would lead by example and work my self to death and my men would respect me, and follow my lead. WRONG after a set down heart to heart with my crew and what my plans and ideas for our shop where. I found out that none of them felt like they could out work or "outdo me" which is by no means the answer I was looking for. I want the almighty dollar and stability of owning MY business.

With that being said--I went on mover, shaker hustler salesman mode! lol -- pressed flesh at three "local" chamber of commerce meetings, Did lunch and learn seminars at the Rotary, Kiwanna, and quite a few womens League meetings--Even did one at the local libraries. Hit all the local utilities up and all city service vehicles. lol-- even every funeral home in town..Guys I have become known as Mr. Clean of my hometown--And guess what. I'm washing and in the trenches less than I have ever been. My shop is doing just fine without me and when I come back from these "networking missions" with 5 to 10 full details ($200 and up) my fellows give me high fives and tell me to get out of there way!! (I LOVE THAT)

So with all this being said, business has tripled and Life is Looking better each day! trust me--If I want to get my hands wet--There are plenty of cars setting in the parking lot to grab whenever i feel like--But those customers have to be drawn in by a up-beat, sincere smiling well groomed (not worked to death) BUSINESS MAN! Joe -- I feel your pain but also know that you like me have spent many years building your reputation--Now let that Reputation work for you!! And guys i'm just and old Hillbilly with a strong back and a weak mine--But I'm honest!!

(sorry for the long rant--I lurk alot--but you guys hit home on this one for me!)</HTML>

Owner-Janitor
Berea Auto Clean-Up Inc.
www.bereaautocleanup.com (under construction)
April 29, 2005 03:06PM
<HTML>Mike,

Welcome to the world of business!!

It's like people ask me why I play golf.

Because I can get more done in the four to six hours on a golf course building business than I can sitting at the desk.

In my part of this business, the OEM guys all play golf, and it allows me to have time with them, get to know the "real" person, how they think, react etc, and bond with them.

Then when we start putting together a program, I know what the person I am working with expects and such.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
April 29, 2005 04:07PM
<HTML>Joe,

Didn't you say every 6 months you wanted to add a mobile unit plus 2 employees? That was one of your goals if I read correctly. Seems to me you're on the right track.

Nothing wrong with staying in the trenches. Renny still does and he is very successful.

Easier said than done but hire loyal employees, train them the way you want things done and supervise all the units.

You can use outside sources to take care of the "business business" (payroll; accounting; marketing coach; legal; etc. If you grossed over $100k doing just detailing, you're doing something right!

Keep up the good work!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Dan
April 30, 2005 07:21PM
<HTML>It's a business, not a "passion", and must be operated as such.

Thanks Ron, I have been pondering that sentance for a day and it has helped me out a lot!! So many of us start out detailing because it is fun at first and after that we dont know where to go. Sounds like Joe and I need to get organized and see where that can take us. Simplifying the process might help.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
May 10, 2005 06:02AM
<HTML>Mike,

Thanks for sharing that.

I am going to take your advice and do the same thing.</HTML>

May 12, 2005 01:50AM
<HTML>I have been so busy it has taken me almost two weeks to read this post.

Great advice, glad to know I am not alone.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
May 22, 2005 04:02AM
<HTML>Here is a book Bud recommends to help us out-

[cgi.ebay.com];

May 22, 2005 05:15AM
<HTML>I wholeheartedly second Buds recommendation of this book. I read the book during Easter weekend and it honestly changed the way I approached nearly every aspect of my business.

I got my copy for free at the library.</HTML>
May 22, 2005 05:54AM
<HTML>WOW, Here is a part from e-myth revisted--

"When the technician falls prey to the Fatal Assumption (that you know how to do the tech aspect of detailing is enough to run a business) , the business that was supposed to free us from the limitations of working for somebody else actually enslaves us. Suddenly the job we knew how to do so well becomes one job we know how to do well plus a dozen other jobs we don’t know how to do at all!"</HTML>

May 22, 2005 08:39PM
<HTML>Joe:

I told you that was a good book!!

How have you been buddy?</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
May 22, 2005 11:20PM
<HTML>I havn't read all of it yet. I just found that part of it online.

Business is good, too good. Money is good but things are getting stressful, sloppy and too fast paced. It is a chore to stay on top of it.

I liked it better when I was a one man show and I would take all day to do a car and get it just right.</HTML>

May 22, 2005 11:58PM
<HTML>Those were the good but not so profitable days huh?

I am in the process of opening my detail shop but I'm doing it a little differently than most people. I hired a very meticulous female who has been detailing on the side for a few years. I plan to let her handle the bulk of the detailing chores while I focus on doing other work such as marketing, writing tickets, answering phones, picking up cars and parts, etc. I will inspect every car before it leaves the shop to be sure it meets my standards but I think this approach allows me to stay involved in each job while working on other important aspects of the business.

E-Myth really reinforced my decision to take this approach. Michael Gerber wrote this book for people like you Joe. It sounds like you are in the perfect spot in your business to take this book to heart and take your business to another level.

Work smarter - not harder - and make more money in the process.</HTML>
May 23, 2005 03:05AM
<HTML>Joe

I wish you the best,you worked hard, now it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor......
GOD BLESS You Joe....

Jorge.... I wish some day I have the same success.......</HTML>
May 23, 2005 06:41PM
<HTML>Thanks Jorge,

I just won a CD set for the emyth. I will let you guys know how it goes.

[cgi.ebay.com];

June 14, 2005 12:23AM
<HTML>Hello:

I've read the threads and will make a suggestion I've not seen others offer:

If you are based in the US contact S.C.O.R.E (Service Corps of Retired Executives)

It's a volunteer organization and their services are free. As the name suggests, it's a group of retired business executives who can offer counseling and advice on almost anything that has to do with small businesses or larger as well.

In my area, some of the volunteers are retired CEO's from companies like United Technoligies, Niagara Mohawk (utility company) and some even bigger.

The sort of advice and guidance they offer would cost several hundred dollars per hour if you hired a consultant.

All of the volunteers are "successful" retired businessmen and many have degrees from schools like Harvard Business School or the Wharton School

I'd suggest you check out their website even if you never contact them:

[www.score.org]

Good Luck!</HTML>
June 15, 2005 12:54AM
<HTML>I went to scpre twice and was not impressed at all. Both times they had no idea what detailing was!!!!!!</HTML>

June 16, 2005 10:43PM
<HTML>Paul:

Of course they would not have any idea what detailing is. The purpose in your going to SCORE is to get business help, not help on detailing. You do not have to know about detailing to operate a business that does detailing.

There are basics to any business and that is what SCORE executives can help you with, if you know what you want?

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 17, 2005 03:24AM
<HTML>Bud:

I guess I did not add that I was not impressed with their knowledge of business. Everytime I asked a question. Their response was to throw a brochure at me. That was copied so many times that I could just about read it.

I also think it is real important to know a little about the person business when giving advice.. Everytime I tried to explain what I do, they went into a daze...

So after two (2 hour meeting) trips downtown and $10 in parking each time. I decided to forget it.</HTML>

June 17, 2005 03:49AM
<HTML>Well Paul, maybe there is something after all to that old adage that says, "you get what you pay for."

Or, you get NOTHING for free.

Guess you should hire a consultant who makes their living offering good advise about business. Maybe there is even one who is experienced in business and the detail business.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
June 17, 2005 02:39PM
<HTML>Paul,
Bud is right, no, they may not know a wash mitt from a spray bottle, but they have years of successful business experience to share with you.

Detailing is a business, right?

The passion for doing a car perfect is wonderful, but without strong business practices, it's just an expensive hobby.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
June 17, 2005 05:10PM
<HTML>Great response Ron emphasizing the business side of detailing.

Paul was trying to get business help, but unfortunately the SCORE office was not a good experience for him.

Some are good, and some are not.

In any case, what detailers need is business help more than anything else.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 17, 2005 07:47PM
<HTML>Bud and Ron:

Thamks for your input

Let me say that my experience with SCORE was from 2 years ago.....

I will make another appointment with them and see if things have changed.

Maybe it was just bad timming..

I'll keep you posted.</HTML>

August 19, 2005 01:04AM
<HTML>Follow up - I read the book and listened to the tape of the E-myth and don't get it. I will have to review it again.

I recently hired a business Pro. who is an expert in the car wash and detailing industry.

I will keep you guys posted on how things go.</HTML>

August 19, 2005 04:17AM
<HTML>Joe:

What is not to get? It is very simple, as I quote Michael Gerber:

"The FATAL mistake that small business people make is that they believe if you know the technical part of a business that performs technical work, you can operate a business that does technical work."

The reason, he says, it is FATAL is because it is not true.

In order words knowing how to detail does not qualify you or anyone else to operate a business that does detailing.

Why?

Because "technicians, " which many small business people are: chefs that open a resturant; mechanics that open a repair shop; bakers that open a bakery; detailers that open a detail shop, etc, have the technical skills but not the business skills, and when faced with business type problems they try to solve them with technical solutions because they do not have the knowledge or expertise in the business side.

Very easy to understand his premise. What don't you get???

Who is the consultant that you hired that is an expert in carwashing and detailing?

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
August 19, 2005 05:58AM
<HTML>Bud,

I get that part. "In order words knowing how to detail does not qualify you or anyone else to operate a business that does detailing."

OK beautiful, now what?

Mr. Gerber went on and on about passion and feelings. "Look inside yourself" He speaks about a lady he is dealing withthat wants to start a pie shop. He goes on and on. I need him to get to the point.

That advice doesn't help me.

I need to know what is step one, step two, etc...

I think it will be a good idea to keep the identity of the consultant confidential for now. Lets see how things go.

Thanks for your reply.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login