Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

cleaning carpets and vinyl

Posted by grant 
cleaning carpets and vinyl
May 18, 2002 09:35PM
First............to clean carpets, vacuming works great to get the big stuff but what can I use to shampoo my inteiror at home? Does a dilluted simple geen mixture do the trick?

Second.........on Vinyl I use Meguiars 40 (thanks jbo!) if I used simple green before that would it be an improvement?

I have a 2001 sunfire with dark grey carpets and vinyl by the way
Simple Green is a good product if used correctly. It is a very strong degreaser cleaner & extra care should be taken as it is strong enough to discolor most hard vinyls & plastics. A little Simple Green to water goes a long way to not do any harmful amount of damage.

There are many fine examples of automotive upholstery cleaner & shampoos on the market today to choose from. You will find these items at your local automotive supply store. If you are going to use a Simple Green solution, you will want to follow up using a good fabric rinse to make sure you get rid of all of the remaining suds that can be trapped into the fibers of your carpets.
Re: cleaning carpets and vinyl
May 19, 2002 01:34AM
Tuff Stuff is another very good option for cleaning vinyl and carpets. Easy to use too. Follow it up with some Lexol Vinylex and your dash will look good as new. You will have to treat the interior on a regular basis after applying any dressing.
Re: cleaning carpets and vinyl
May 19, 2002 04:59PM
Grant;

Regarding the carpet process, most any quality general purpose cleaners will work however if your standards for carpet care are the same as your general detailing standards you might want to reaserch a bit further. If they are I would recommend a quality commercial traffic lane cleaner concentrate from your local janitorial supply house. As well the use of a quality fabric rinse no matter what detergent you use is a must as Todd indicated to remove the detergent residue from the carpet fibres so that you can avoid those nasty " cruchy" carpets when done.

I compare the general purpose carpet cleaner to a one step cleaner wax . They are middle of the road multi purpose products and work OK for most needs . But when you compare one step with a multi step process the results are markedly improved. And so it goes for carpet care as well.

Take care and good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login