Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buffers

Posted by Rob Marini 
Buffers
May 02, 2005 01:58AM
<HTML>Which one would you guys recommend, Makita or Porter Cable?. I want to be able to remove swirl marks and create a nice shine. I want a buffer that will do a great job so i dont have to buy another one.

Is the Makita easy to use?</HTML>
Re: Buffers
May 02, 2005 02:12AM
<HTML>Are you a "professional" that makes a living in the detail industry?

I gather you are not, would not have asked the question.

If you are not a professional, or truly dedicated to learning how to use a true "rotary buffer", which is much different than a dual action, stick with the dual action buffer.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 02, 2005 02:21AM
<HTML>You could gradually learn the rotary at your own pace if you have access to some scrap panels like a hood or fender or better yet, a "beater" car. Keep the speeds low! I wouldn't venture past 1000 rpm and useanything more aggressive than a polishing pad until you have practiced, practiced again and then practiced some more.

As for brands, purely personal prefwerence. Pick according to the attributes that are best for you. All do well.</HTML>

May 02, 2005 03:27AM
<HTML>Find a used dual action on Ebay for about $70 or a pro. grade rotory for about $100.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
May 02, 2005 04:29PM
<HTML>For light to medium scratches and swirls,
We use FLEX, german made polisher running at 1200-1500rpm with yellow foam cutting pads, and a medium agressive polish from 3M,
then follow upp with a dual headed orbital and the same 3M product.
If the scratches or swirls are heavier, go for a more agressive polish from 3M, or any other brand you prefer, but we still stay with 3M. just fits our liking.

RoB</HTML>
May 02, 2005 04:35PM
<HTML>Sorry I forgott
The 3M prods, we use are
light 3M 9639
medium 3M 9376
Heavy 3M 9375

For anything over that there is aircraft, or we pref to use a wet sand 1500-3000gr...
then go back to step 1 and 2 in other post

RoB</HTML>
Flex
May 02, 2005 04:59PM
<HTML>I knew I saw that brand once or twice before. Where did you get it? How do you like it?

Let me add to the list of the rotaries I know of:

DeWalt

Makita

Milwaukee

Metabo

Porter Cable

Fein

Flex

I know I must be missing more. Please add. Thanks.</HTML>

Re: Flex
May 02, 2005 06:25PM
<HTML>Heres a link to the flex homepage for polishers

[www.flex-tools.de]

allthough it is heavy 3.0 KG, i am happy with it
I have also on order now the light weight maquita, allthough some have said that it being light may cause it to be unsteady, and that u then have to use more pressure to keep it steady. Ill see when ive tried it.
i just gotta try something lighter for the dake of my ellbow, and arm that after a couple of cars, start s hurting.(yeah i know im a p***y)lol,,lol,,

the dual head orbital we use is great though, its a rebuilt cyclo, that weve added a more powerful engine to, which is then also speed regulated, as we found the cyclo to be to low in power, and the motor nearly stopped when pressure was added.
now with a flex motor it runs also upp to 1700rpm, but we usually run it at speed 4- 1400rpm
gives exellent results.

RoB</HTML>
May 02, 2005 06:29PM
<HTML>Again i left out text,,sorry

it weighs 3.5 kg not 3.0
its the L 602 VRH that we use...

RoB</HTML>
May 02, 2005 06:56PM
<HTML>Have used the Flex, not much in the states, but when on trips to Europe.

It is a good unit, just "feels" different when one is used to Milwaukee's and DeWalts.

Don't personally care for Makita or Hitachi buffers.

Then again, that is why Baskin Robbins is successful, not everyone likes the same thing.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 02, 2005 07:15PM
<HTML>Wow, I'm really surprised about how you found the Cyclo and the motor stopped?? Whoa! This is the first I'm hearing of "supercharging" a Cyclo though. I'd love to experience a modified one like that! grinning smiley</HTML>

May 02, 2005 07:22PM
<HTML>The Makita seems to hav a strong popularity but I chose the DeWalt. It might be heavy but it has the RPMs directly on the dial and it runs very smoothly. For non rotary polishers, I'm a big fan of Cyclo: that thing can truly be an heirloom.</HTML>

May 03, 2005 04:51AM
<HTML>When people speak of Porter Cable, the first thing that comes to mind is the variable-speed orbital buffer. However, some people do not know that Porter Cable offers a variable-speed rotary polisher -- and the terminology can be confusing.

I agree that the Cyclo is a godsent tool to us detailers.

Still have my eye on the Metabo rotary for its super light-weight construction.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 04, 2005 01:42AM
<HTML>how heavy is the Cyclo?</HTML>
Cyclo
May 04, 2005 02:38AM
<HTML>The Cyclo weighs 6.5 lbs.

View the specs at:

[www.cyclotoolmakers.com]

It's always a pleasure to use it!</HTML>

Re: Cyclo
May 04, 2005 04:47AM
<HTML>I am partial to the DeWalt for my heavier leveling and polishing and then outfit my Metabo for finish up work.

The Metabo and DeWalt are both well balanced. And easy on the hands and ears. I have not found the Cyclo to bog down and if one is bogging it down then you are using it in an improper manner, or using it in a way it was not intended for.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
May 04, 2005 05:51AM
<HTML>That is true, about the cyclo, we were using it in a way it was not intended to be used, but we saw a pottential for heavier usage, so we are using it to after polish, but then the motor, as not powerfull enough to get the most out of it.
this the reason we modified it with a more powerfull 1.200W motor, and with a speed regulator and added handles like a stearing wheel around its sides. so that we can swing it around easy and even use it uppside down for lower parts of a car, without having to bend down as much.
Now we can use it in a more efficient way, to fit our needs.

The cyclo in itself as it is, we also use, but more then for applying, paint sealants or waxes. or for the carpet cleaning with its brushes.

The cyclo is a great tool,, we just made it better for our own use..

RoB</HTML>
May 04, 2005 02:53PM
<HTML>Rob, You have to start sometime, so go with one of the suggested buffers and start with used body panels.

Do you know anybody in the body shop business? If you do, they can let you work on some of their old panels. This is also a pretty good spot to get some added coaching.

It ain't rocket science, but with some coaching you too can learn. Please don't plan on watching someone buff a car, and think well I got it, as it all changes when you do it your self.

You can watch,and ask questions,and if you have enough savvy, you'll know when their are trying to Bull Sh!t you. I myself, found a friend of mines body shop folks to be top drawer,and helped me quite abit when I got started...

I personally have air driven equipment and I also use the Makita. The Makita was the 1st electrical unit they were using at the body shop, so that was what I 1st got comfortable with. They also had Dewalt,Porter-Cable,as well as Old Milwaukee. Too Friggen Heavy to use all day long. Arms felt like Swartzznager.

Opinions like "A-holes" , Ketch and Bill doyle gave you some good pointers,and you'd be advised to follow them....AHooah........Brandy!</HTML>
December 11, 2005 12:53PM
<HTML>Porter-Cable manufactures a vast majority of its products out of the Jackson, Tenn. headquarters; however, the company operates a second manufacturing facility in Steinheim, Germany, where its products are produced and sold throughout Europe under the FLEX brand name. Professionals and do-it-yourselfers alike turn to Porter-Cable for those tough jobs that demand perfection.

found this on the porter homepage,,Isnt the world small..LOL</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login