Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Stone chip tape???

Posted by Keith Boyer 
Stone chip tape???
May 05, 2005 12:46AM
<HTML>The other day a service manager from the Volvo dealer was showing me some sort tape/adhesive that went along the front of his hood about an inch or two. It was black and a cross between spray on bed ilner and grip tape. It covers the stone chips on the front of the hood and prevents them from happening again. I am looking for some and can not seem to find it or even find out the real name of the product. I of course asked him where he got it and he told me a vendor in Albany did it and doesnt remeber the vendors name or what the product is called, any one have any clue what this stuff is? Could be a easy sell to dealers and upsell for retail customers.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
Re: Stone chip tape???
May 05, 2005 02:28AM
<HTML>The big dog, 3M, brought to the market, about 12 years ago, a "film", that has grown to a big share of market.

The one you are asking about, good luck, since most owners, in my opinion, will not accept a "black strip" across the front of their hood's area.

I have been wrong before, but does not appear to be a "long term, profitable" option for most vehicle owners.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 05, 2005 03:18AM
<HTML>Sounds like the 3m Scotchcal ( I think it is included under the Scotchguard brand name now) clear bra material,several names offer it, is what is needed. I have a new set of headlight guards under the Xpel name to install this summer. Need plenty of heat and the proper amount of solution, other wise permament bubbles in the material may result.

Is there any other independant manufacturer of similar but "better" material?

I'm thinking, for example, Armor Glove may be one?</HTML>

May 05, 2005 03:56AM
<HTML>Do some "serious" research, and you may well find that most of the "marketed" films are in reality, 3M film.

There are some other "real manufacturers" of film, but most are just remarketed 3M.

Private label is a less expensive way to keep the profits coming in, the plants working.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 05, 2005 10:51AM
<HTML>Ketch--
I understand what you are saying but two things Vermont has plenty of is dirt, gravel roads toppedof with 5 months of salting and plenty of cheapskates that keep their Subaru's, and Audi's for 6+ years. Stone chips are a huge problem in this area. I want to add the clear film as a higher cost option to the black tape.

Thanks</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
May 05, 2005 03:32PM
<HTML>Keith:

Never seen the black tape and really don't know why anyone would want a black tape on their car.

here is the link to 3m PPF site:

[solutions.3m.com]

I have been installing the product for about 2 years now. I use invinca-shield kits.

Their web address is www.invinca-shield.com</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
May 05, 2005 03:37PM
<HTML>Keith:

Here is a article I found:

[www.automotivearticles.com];

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
May 08, 2005 04:04PM
<HTML>Paul--
Thanks for the info I will research it some more.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login