Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Clay Bars and Rail Dust

Posted by Anthony Orosco 
Clay Bars and Rail Dust
May 08, 2005 02:02PM
<HTML>One detailer I spoke with claims clay bars do not remove rail dust and gave his explanation as to why it doesn't.

I believe they do work on rail dust, even though I have only seen a handful of cars here in Texas with rail dust issues in the past 14 years. In California I would see them all the time.

Any thoughts?

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Re: Clay Bars and Rail Dust
May 08, 2005 02:14PM
<HTML>Anthony,

There are several vehicle manufacturers, who have tested the clay bars for this concern.

Their technical bulletins are on www.autoint.com under the OEM/TSB section .

The one that does the best at explaining, with "pictographs" of what really goes on, is the Ford TSB.

The site has other vehicle manufactuers TSB's as well, and a new one is forthcoming from Mitsubishi in the next couple of months.

All clay does is to remove the top "bloom" of the particle.

However, if the vehicle has this done and is constantly maintained, not allowed to be exposed to normal weather conditions, (IE, trailer queens, or receive VERY regular detailing/cleaning, the condition will appear to be handled.

Normal vehicles, that is those who may get a coat of wax or something once a year or so, is another issue.

The main concern of the paint suppliers to the vehicle manufacturers is the "acids that are generated by the ferrous particles" and the way they break down the paints resin system over time.

Clay can do NOTHING about these acids, plus, since the leave most of the particles deeply imbedded in the paint, below the surface, will "re-bloom" again, once the are subjected to moisture and heat.

Clay has it's uses, just not the ultimate answer for ferrous metal particle removal.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Re: Clay Bars and Rail Dust
May 08, 2005 05:31PM
<HTML>Ketch,

Thanks for the response. My first place to visit was your website, the article section, but I didn't find anything pertaining to this.....BUT I am sure it is my oversight, I'll go look again.

I am writing a small article for a website on clay and in it I describe what clay can do and what it can't do. I stated that clay will, as you noted, remove the protruding points of rail dust but will not remove what is imbedded and that to completely remove it it needs a proper acid wash.

Once again, thanks.

Anthony</HTML>

Details, Details, Details....It's all in the details!
www.UltimateReflections.NET
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login