Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEW CAR PARRAFIN

Posted by rsrtuning 
NEW CAR PARRAFIN
May 11, 2005 06:38AM
<HTML>Hello

Excuse my english as i dont know the word for the (parrafin) new car sealant the makers cover their cars in before shipment.

My question is does anyone here have the knowledge, experience in taking this of from new cars, as we have had a dealer ask if we can help in the removal of this.

Have done some reading, and found 2 products used normally to cover and protect cars, before shipped, and also found products to use in the removal.

Is this a 1 hour or a 3 hour job to remove this, and what is the exact procedure?

RoB</HTML>
Re: NEW CAR PARRAFIN
May 11, 2005 12:50PM
<HTML>There are several formulations used for shipping wax.

First, what brand of vehicle.
Second, what country are these coming into?
Three, how long on the vehicle? (check the build date on the door jam, gives month and date-could be important),

Been dealing with these issues for over 20 years, may be able to help you.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 11, 2005 02:49PM
<HTML>Many of the companies use a coating product from a company named KATS. They also provide a removal product too.

With Ford they put a bottle of the remover in the glovebox of every new car delievered and the dealer or pre-delivery center uses that to remove the KATS coating.

There may be other companies out there doing the same thing but this is the only one I am aware of by specific name.

In fact, I may even have some information about the coating and remover in my files if you want to contact me.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS
buda@detailplus.com</HTML>

buda
May 11, 2005 03:20PM
<HTML>Ford stopped using KATS at least 6 years ago.

Vehicles being shipped into countries other than the states, usually use a wax based shipping wax.

Few ship vehicles in the states with the wax based due to enviormental concerns of the runoff, since most, if not all, require a hydrocarbon based remover.

The one or two that do bring some selected, low volume models in to the states with the wax based, remove it at their port of entry facility, where they have the required clarifier systems to capture the run-off.

KATS, TransSeal, Puritan, etc are not wax based, but a synthetic polymer/water borne coating.

Most companies have moved onto either the plastic transit wrap or like Audi, a car cover, which is removed and shipped back to the vehicle manufacturer.

A real concern, overseas, is the age of some vehicles, when it comes time to remove the wax based coating.

Some vehicle may have had the original wax on them for over 9 months, or had it removed, incorrectly, leaving some residue, and then reapplied.

Thie usual result is that the plastic headlite covers, tail light lens, etc were permanently ruined.

Sometimes due to the chemicals used to remove, other cases the wax impregnated into the plastic.

Lots of things to consider when removing wax based coatings.

Ketch</HTML>

May 11, 2005 05:36PM
<HTML>Interesting about the Audi cover. I would've loved to have mine and would've paid to keep it for nostalgic purposes. He he.

I have seen new Audis on trucks with covers with the four ring logo. They look like they are actual Rapgard covers on the cars.</HTML>

May 11, 2005 06:17PM
<HTML>Bill,

We have about a hundred new Audi's setting in the storage lot as I write this, waiting to be processed.

Some of the cheaper model's have only the plastic transit film when the transports drop them off, the higher line models have the cover, which is removed when off loaded and the transport driver takes them back to the railhead.

There are some areas, under the car covers, that have plastic wrap on them.

Ketch</HTML>

May 11, 2005 07:10PM
<HTML>Ron,

Any idea on if Mercedes does the same thing. My mother 's getting a new CLK cabrio next month. I will be present at the dealer the moment the car arrives. Everything's arranged with the dealership manager.</HTML>

May 11, 2005 07:24PM
<HTML>Depends, Bill.

On what port the vehicle came through, how many railheads to the truck transport loading, etc.

That is one of the deciding factors, what the vehicle is going to be facing time and enviormental contamination, before it gets to the selling dealer.

Some models are treated differently, and are wrapped at the factory, then a cover put on at the port.

Hard to say what your Mother's is going to get.

Ketch</HTML>

May 11, 2005 07:39PM
<HTML>I'm assuming it's coming through Jacksonville, FL. The guy from Horseless Carriage who transported my cars said he had to pick one up from there and deliver it further south.</HTML>

May 11, 2005 07:48PM
<HTML>If it is being handled by those guys, nothing is going to get on it, or damaged.

The thing you have to address, is what was the condition when it was loaded on the transport at the port.

First thing, look in the door jam at the 'build date", that will tell you a lot, like look at things very closely if over 2 months from build date until you look at it.

ketch</HTML>

May 11, 2005 07:51PM
<HTML>Rest assured, that 30X magnifier is coming with me too! grinning smiley</HTML>

May 11, 2005 09:20PM
<HTML>Thank you for all answers.
The cars in question was Hondas. and i have done the first one today, with a chemical that our sales rep sold me in 25 L.
it is a special heavy gasoline, nafta smelling product, also used for cleaning engines, and we follow instructions and used it in its raw undilutet state , to remove the PARRAFIN, as it is called here in Spain.
The parrafin was very sticky, and it took two times at least with the product, warm water and spexial cotton towelssent along with the product to get it off, but the car came out great after the procedure, of about 45 min, and then we also polished it upp with a buffer and added wax, I was gonna say it looks brand new,,lol,, but it allready was...

thsnk you all again

RoB</HTML>
May 12, 2005 03:10AM
<HTML>Sounds like any of the lower quality, easily available mineral spirits would do the job better.

Not sure, but at least this solvent would be very active without damaging the paint.

Or the trim pieces.

Dwell time of the solvent is important, and when you have let it "dwell" , (set and work), then wash with a good carwash shampoo, it should emulsify, turn the runoff into a white liquid and come right off.

What part of Spain are you from?

I miss going to both Barcelona and Valencia, am a big fan of some of the Spainish red wines, due to time spent over there in the 90's on projects.

You can always email me at my office ketch@autoint.com if you have any questions.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login