Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Oil removal

Posted by Cheryl Queen 
Oil removal
May 16, 2005 09:11PM
<HTML>I have a question for you experts. I live on a road where they oil and rock it. Doesn't matter how slow you drive the oil splatters on the van. Can anyone tell me what to use to remove this oil from my van? Some people have said gasoline, but not willing to try that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.</HTML>
Re: Oil removal
May 16, 2005 10:21PM
<HTML>This may help-
Classifying stains:
a) Organic stains- these include proteins and fats, body oils, mould yeast, bacteria, bugs and carbohydrates. Most of the stains found in the vehicle interior are of an organic nature and require an alkaline type cleaner. Some organic stains (i.e. blood, vomit, urine) should be removed with an enzyme type cleaner and a disinfectant applied to the area
b) Non-Organic stains- mostly found on the exterior of the vehicle, hard water scale (calcium) lime deposits, Road tar, grease and oil film, and require an acidic type cleaner.
c) Petroleum soils - substances that do not contain water, nor are they miscible, these soil types include, motor oils, and crease and road tar, and require a solvent type cleaner.
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
May 17, 2005 02:44AM
<HTML>Granitize R1 Tar, Wax and Grease Remover.</HTML>

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]
May 17, 2005 01:43PM
<HTML>Well the best bet would be some Blacktop or Concrete on the road---lol-- now that will fix the problem long term! but if you have a good parts store close, Pick up some bug and tar remover.

The trick is--You don't want something to volatile that will remove your paint with the oil. Plus you will want to do this outside instead of in your garage (smells very yucky) I think that Oriely's auto parts have begun to stock "Stoner" products. Stoner makes a good solvent called Terminator. Works fine for a application like this.

Also may want to try something you probably have at home-- plain old dawn dish-washing liquid--put some in a wash bucket with a sponge that can be thrown away. and scrub away--But it will strip your wax (as will the solvent also) so be prepared to re-wax after this.

that's my .o2 worth on this --but then again I'm an old redneck from Kentucky--We still have allot of roads that aren't paved yet.</HTML>

Owner-Janitor
Berea Auto Clean-Up Inc.
www.bereaautocleanup.com (under construction)
May 17, 2005 04:24PM
<HTML>Fresh road tar?

Not on there for months?

Something that won't hurt the paint?

That is fast, inexpensive?

Keosene!

Outside, (if not a shop or commercial business, and you say you live in the country), find a place where the grass don't grow anyway, and wet all the tar areas with the kerosene, keep it wet with it until you see the tar start to "run", may take a few minutes, don't go playing "rub a dub", let the keosene work.

Then, when it's pretty well broken, take the vehicle to your hose and water.

Wet a soft towel with the keosene and gently wipe the areas to remove what's left.

Wash the vehicle with your normal car wash solution.

This is not recommended for shops, unless they have a clarifier, etc, however for a vehicle owner, who lives in the country, you are not going to put enough of the hydrocarbon on or into the ground, to cause a problem.

Or, I could try and sell you some product that would work, but why, when this will do what you need done.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 28, 2005 04:20AM
<HTML>try ether(starting fluid for diesels). it works well to remove grease and such, but may also fade the carpet, test it on a small area, and don't smoke.</HTML>
Dan
May 28, 2005 06:15AM
<HTML>I would try to find a local janitor supply store near you. They usually have good solvents that are safe to use on the inside of a car.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login