Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Toyota Certified Program

Posted by Bud Abraham 
Toyota Certified Program
May 19, 2005 01:44AM
<HTML>Just completed a one day seminar as part of an on-going training sessions that Toyota is requiring of their dealers in order to have detail personnel qualified to do certified detailing and reconditioning.

To say the least, I was extremely impressed with what Toyota is doing and what effect this has on detailers.

The responsibility that detailers are given in the certified process is amazing. What a great opportunity for a good detailer.

If any of you are looking for an opportunity you ought to look into positions at the local Toyota dealer.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Re: Toyota Certified Program
May 19, 2005 02:12AM
<HTML>As a 'vendor' to dealerships I have gotten to know alot of folks in the used car business and I to have been impressed with some of the certified used car programs out there. Toyota, BMW, GM and Acura are some that I have been able to see first hand. The only drawback for guys like me and us that own businesses is typically you have to be an employee of the dealership AND complete the training course in order to perform the work and get paid. These programs are good and the certified cars typically look their best but to the best of my knowledge manufacuterers are not offereing these courses/training to outside detailers. Why not? Most detail shop owners are around much longer than dealer detailers.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
May 19, 2005 04:13AM
<HTML>Keith:

The point of my post was that a detailer looking for an opportunity should look into the opportunities that the Toyota Certified Program offers.

From what I have seen the representatives from Toyota that are overseeing the Certified Program are there to insure that the dealers give their detailers the proper training in order to recondition certified cars properly.

What impressed me was the charge that the rep who hired me gave the detailers attending the session. He made it quite clear that they were impowered to reject a vehicle; to have the final say on it's cosmetic condition and that what they had to say carried weight and was respected.

This is a completely different culture than I am used to in dealerships. It is clear that Toyota is insuring that detailers are trained to know what they need to know and that they are given a position of importance in the Certification Program.

Looks like a good employment opportunity for any detailer looking for employment.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 19, 2005 11:17AM
<HTML>I completely agree with you Bud, Toyota and some others have great certified programs and it could be a great opportunity for the right person. But from a owner and greed stand point I do still wish the training was available to us outside guys.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
May 19, 2005 04:44PM
<HTML>Amen.....Brother.....

Jorge....</HTML>
May 19, 2005 06:03PM
<HTML>Jorge:

What kind of training are you looking for? Maybe I can help you?

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 21, 2005 05:34AM
<HTML>Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Toyota implement Auto Magic exclusively in the reconditioning services for their certified program? That's all we used when I was PT detail manager at Toyota two years ago.

And I'm still confused on what Sears has to do with Toyota and their protection package warranty?? It's called the Sears Package.

Keith, how did the xylene work on the boat?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 21, 2005 01:24PM
<HTML>Brian:

You never cease to amaze me with the information you have about so many things in this industry.

Yes, when the Toyota Certified Program was first developed Toyota worked exclusively with Auto Magic to develop the training program. That was about 10 years ago or more.

Since that time they have changed and do not try to make a dealer or his detailers use any particular chemical companies products.

Personally, the audio/video materials that were developed are very limited in terms of educating the detailer since they say simply to "use this Auto Magic chemical for this and that Auto Magic chemical for that." Obviously, there was no intent to educate the detailer about chemicals, only to use Auto Magic chemicals.

In any case, it was and is a major step from the auto manufacturers in helping to upgrade the detailing done at the dealerships.

Know nothing about the "Sears Package." It was not brought up at the session that I made the educational presentation.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 21, 2005 01:49PM
<HTML>Bud,

Thank you for the follow up.

I heard the same thing about Ford's Certified Used reconditioning program as well but like you said, times have changed.

The videos AM has are a bit on the quick side, since they didn't show any aggitation with a brush for the engine detail or tire sidewall cleaning -- just spray, dwell and pressurewash. Excellent products though.

Maybe Sears' involvment with Toyota is a local benefit. I'll have to look into this.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 21, 2005 04:06PM
<HTML>Bud,

Where was the Toyota training held that you attended? I feel its important that major mfg are taking these actions as it shows just how important education is within our trade.

Thanks,</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
May 21, 2005 04:29PM
<HTML>Renny:

Did not attend, I conducted the training session for Toyota, and it was held in Seattle for the Puget Sound Area Toyota dealers.

Next month I will conduct another session in Seattle for the same dealer/detailers to complete their Certified Training covering paint finishing.

The point of my post if there are detailers out their looking for a great job opportunity I would consider a Toyota dealership because of what the company is demanding of their dealers in terms of detailing expertise.

Of course, how good a position you might have is totally dependent on the dealer. If they really buy into the Certified Program and do what Toyota wants then this is agreat place to work.

On the other hand if they only do what is absolultely necessary you will not be working in a dealership that would anything unlike most are today, anyway.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 22, 2005 02:34AM
<HTML>As a 'vendor / detailer' I visited a local toyota dealership several months ago. To see if they were interested in any of my products/service. I meet the detailing manager. he was nice enough to sit down and chat and I was shocked when he said 'Would like to see our operation' This guy must have spent at least an 1 hour chatting and giving me a tour.

Very rare to be treated like that at a dealership!!!!</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
May 22, 2005 04:46AM
<HTML>YES! YES! YES! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A positive posting about dealerships! I am a very happy employee of Toyota. The "Certification Program" is very thorough when you have everyone on the same page. As a detailer you will feel very confident in your experience, position and future. The Certification Program also does a very nice job of weeding out your (bad apple) employees. Folks who want to do things their own way soon find that the pain of quitting is much greater than the pain of listening and following instructions as given, willingly.

As far as the chemicals are concerned, of course your chemical arsenal is important, but the point of the program is to provide a structured path for the detailer to follow so that everyone can benefit. There is a 5-step detailing process on VHS that does a basic job of laying out the program and provides some cleaning techniques, information on chemicals in general, safety, equipment maintenance, shop maintenance and more.

Each vehicle comes straight out of the Service Department from safety inspection with it's own inspection form that must be followed and filled out by each detailer, then several inspections occur before the vehicle is placed on the lot for sale. like I said before though, everyone needs to be on the same page.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login