Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

overspray removal

Posted by Jeffrey Juneau 
overspray removal
May 19, 2005 04:44AM
<HTML> Hey guys been running into a few customers with overspray on their vehicle, a few have been black BMW's, and Suv's they were not aware of this problem on the clear coat quote they are not trained to look for this, when quoted a price in the range of $200.00 for the cars only exterior includes polish and waxing, $ 275.00 up on Suv's for the same service, this is not including interior, i add about $ 75.00 on cars and $ 100.00 on Suv's for interior. Is there another way or product used to remove overspray other than clay that is what i use, i am a one man operation any suggestions needed</HTML>

parttime detailer
Re: overspray removal
May 19, 2005 10:17PM
<HTML>As I understand it detailing clay was formulated to remove paint over-spray on Japanese production lines before being imported to the US.

I haven't found anything better, but the professional detailers make have other options
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
May 28, 2005 04:13AM
<HTML>I was trained at a mercedes dealer, and we did use clay, but we also used paint thinner. In doin this you do run the risk of taking off the cars paint, but if done lightly it does work, and was only done if the car was going to be fully polished and waxed immediately afterwards. I know the thought of using paint thinner seems crude, but sometimes, as with scuffs for example, clay just wouldn't do it. If you try this, make sure you know that the paint you are working with is good quality, and maybe test it in a spot that won't matter too much if it wrecks the paint. If it is just specsm of paint, or you don't feel comfortable doing this, stick with clay.</HTML>
May 30, 2005 01:40AM
<HTML>It depends on the paint! Sometimes bodyshop panel-wipe does the trick. Other times white spirit, or tar and glue remover will do the trick.
Fence paint is easy to remove but stains, road lining paint can be a real bugger, but paint thinner removes it.

A couple of weeks ago a customer brought a car to us that had been in the body shop, you couldn't even see the overspray except for the texture, you could see where a roll of masking tape had been on the roof of the car. Panel-wipe did the trick.</HTML>
July 04, 2005 02:56AM
<HTML>What may I inquire is panel-wipe? I do get a lot of customers with highway marking paint on their runnerboards and wheel wels.</HTML>

&quot;Detailing for the People&quot;
July 04, 2005 03:33PM
<HTML>From Google search-
Bodyshop Wipes are made from a white, perforated, two-ply strong paper.
They feature the following benefits:-
Made from pure non-recycled paper - strong and durable in use
Pure white in colour - removed dirt can easily be seen
Low linting
Uses of these wipes include initial cleaning of panels, mopping spills, drying hands, cleaning parts and tools and wiping excess sealants off panels. [www.starchem.co.uk];

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login