Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Air Tools

Posted by Dan 
Dan
Air Tools
May 20, 2005 03:07AM
<HTML>Hi!! I remember watching Bud's setup at the car care expo last year and Keith was waxing a car with an air powered DA. The job was going about as fast as with the porter cable, but easier on the user. Im thinking of making the switch from electric to air because the palm design of the air DA seems easier to control for inexperienced people(my help).

Do any of you guys use the air DA in your shop? Im switching if it has the same "torque" that the porter cable has on speed #6. I have not even used one for body work, since my home garage can't handle the voltage of a large compressor, so I cant just buy and try.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
Re: Air Tools
May 21, 2005 01:16AM
<HTML>Dan. I dont use an air DA, but I do use an air buffer, it's a great tool but you have to have enough air power to drive it .

The adantage of air tools is that you dont have any electrial cords laying around wet floors, they need only a small amount of maintenance and hardly ever break .

If you have a fixed location they are awesome.

Jim Hammill.</HTML>
May 21, 2005 02:32AM
<HTML>Dan:

Jim's comments about having sufficient air to power an air tool is critical. The Mini Orbital Waxer you refer to consumes 9 cfm of air at 90 psi.

That means you will need at least a 3HP air compressor that can put out that much cfm at 90 psi.

I would recommend at 5HP or 6HP with 60 gallon tank which will put out 18 to 19 cfm at 90 psi. You can buy one at COSTCO for about $500 or $600.

You might want to also look at the Rotary Shampooer which is even smaller than the Mini Orbital.

It consumes about 11 cfm and is worth every penny you pay for it in terms of reduction of fatigue, improvement of shampooing and speed.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 21, 2005 03:05AM
<HTML>What is the required air hose size in order to deliver that amount of CFM to an air tool.

That makes a big difference, not just the CFM, but how much of it can get to the tool.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
Dan
May 23, 2005 04:08AM
<HTML>Thanks for all of your comments guys.

Bud, thanks for your comment. If I decide to go air, I will probably end up with a larger gas powered compressor. I will be using the unit pretty much only for DA work, but I will try one first to see if its as strong as the porter cable.

Ron, that is a good point. I wonder if 5/16 hose would be better than 3/8 like what the house of kolor guy suggests in his book for the hvlp guns.

Dan Draper
May 23, 2005 08:37AM
<HTML>Air is great in a fixed shop...we use both but I am old school and pretty close to my Makita and PC. The 5/16th hose is the only way to go! As for being easier on the user...100% easier and very comfy during busy times of the year!

Enjoy...</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
Dan
May 23, 2005 02:36PM
<HTML>Thats good to know Renny!! Thanks. Where can I get one of those polishers on a pole found on your website on the airplane detailing pic? I was going to weld one together unless I can find a seller.

Dan Draper
May 23, 2005 09:35PM
<HTML>Ahh, the old polisher on the pole. Renny, I still need to see those blueprints! Renny, did I email you my design or just talk to you about it?

About the air powered high speed buffer, be careful with the psi on those because my first time using one 9 years ago in my paint refinishing school, I zipped right down to the metal because the guage was a bit off.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 23, 2005 10:02PM
<HTML>Who makes the mini orbital waxer? part or model number please. Thank you,</HTML>

Bill Strobel
aka theamcguy
Fayetteville, NC
May 24, 2005 12:17AM
<HTML>The maker of that polisher on a stick is yours truelysmiling smiley Something us aircraft guys like to call a lazy mans finisher! In all truth, that is something we build in house. Brian, when I slow a tad I will send you over the makings of the unit and I would still love to see yours! Brian you still thinking of heading south?

Happy Detailing,</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
Dan
May 24, 2005 03:22PM
<HTML>I would make my polisher on a stick today, if I had an ac/dc tig welder, no way am I having an all steel square tubing pole. Could you imagine, wow this is going great, but why can't I lift my arms at the end of the day!

Dan Draper
May 24, 2005 04:25PM
<HTML>Hey Renny,

Always thinking of heading south! Things are too good up here right now. A lot of big jobs down the shore and more marinas in south Jersey. I'll look on your website for the fax number and send you the sketching of my buffer on a stick.

Dan, one word -- fiberglass!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login