Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Traveling -- Is it worth it?

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Traveling -- Is it worth it?
May 21, 2005 02:05PM
<HTML>Have a customer who keeps his boat down the shore and wants bi-weekly washes done. This would be a hit in any detailer's league since you usually get $1.50 per foot for just a wash and dry job.

However, his boat is a 33' and the travel time to get there is 45 minutes. Granted I can get $50 for the whole job which will take 1 hour but not sure if it's worth it.

Product expense is only $2.00 (if that) but the cost of gas for 45 minutes is around $9.00 (round trip.) Boring drive on the highway too.

Thoughts?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
<HTML>Not worth it Brian. I used to live in Middlesex County and made frequent trips to the Ocean County area. If i was real luckly, maybe about a hr of travel but often times more.

This time of year, especially close to the weekends, there's going to be more and more traffic heading to the entire Jersey Shore area. All that in addition to the other costs, tack on any Parkway tolls, ( they can add up after a while) you mentioned for $50, not worth it IMHO</HTML>

Re: Traveling -- Is it worth it?
May 21, 2005 04:36PM
<HTML>Brian:

You have answered your own question in the asking. It is quite objective. If your time is worth $40 to $50 an hour and you are driving 1.5 hours that is unproductive time.

Surprised you had to even ask this question.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
May 21, 2005 06:07PM
<HTML>I figured that we have about 5.5 to 6 hours to generate income. Sure my employees get paid for 8 hours but there is 1/2 lunch, travel time between jobs, breaks and set up time (getting keys, positioning cars, etc..)

So I need to make sure we are generating enough income during the 6 hours to pay my expenses and to have a profit at the end of the day.

If I get a request for a job that is out of my service area, I will charge for the travel time.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
May 21, 2005 07:16PM
<HTML>I still have a few huge companies and clients i travel 45 minutes to a job site but i make 300 plus at least ,for example on wed i,m doing an interior $125 and a full int /ext detail $250 which equals $400 for the day. On friday i did 3 interiors at the same location, two were for 125 and a pig sty for 150 thats 400 for a full days work.For 50 bucks you would have to be nuts! lol</HTML>
May 21, 2005 10:06PM
<HTML>hey everyone im new to this post.. but i have been reading..

no its not worth it at all.. thats about 2.5hrs of work for only $50..
you can make a lot more somewhere else in 2.5hrs. unless you have absoultly nothing to do... then it might be worth it..</HTML>

Jonathan A
Mr. Ed's Auto Care
Allentown, PA 18109
May 22, 2005 12:27AM
<HTML>Yeah, I'm not that nuts. Only way I'll do it is if I have 4 or more washes there that day.

Two hours of driving out of a full work day would be unproductive. Thanks for the input fellas. That's why I asked what you would all do.

It's a customer whose boat I already did a full detail on earlier this month and he wants it maintained twice a month.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Dan
May 23, 2005 03:58AM
<HTML>Brian,
I do stuff like that, but its usually 45 minutes of driving at most. Just charge for the driving as if you were there the entire time and see what the guys says. Try charging him $150, and if he asks tell him you have a minumum, you know, for some people that is a good deal because they dont have time AT ALL to wash a car or take it somewhere. You could be helping this guy. These are the people who will lose money if they sit at a car wash, which is my target market, people out of the loop. We got a request to wash 5 very high end cars about 1 hour away, our quote was $65 per car wash and $200 detail per month one car detailed every month, needless to say we didnt get that account, but we didn't say no.

Joe, I was trying to get you that one, but the guy was already looking at another company. Do you go to Laguna Hills or Newport beach?</HTML>
May 23, 2005 04:02AM
<HTML>hooooo weeeeeeeeee big money.

No I don't service that area but I would for those prices!!

We get $40 wash/weekly and $95 detail if performed monthly.</HTML>

Dan
May 23, 2005 02:32PM
<HTML>Joe, thats exactly what I was thinking. I will service that area..... for a price,lol. Im sure he had someone close by with somewhat normal prices. Hey, what do you charge for 1 single car at 1 location? I finally raised my prices to $45 per car 1 location.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
May 23, 2005 03:04PM
<HTML>My minumin order is $120 for any one stop.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login