Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ceramic Based Paint Sealant

Posted by Stephen Britz 
Ceramic Based Paint Sealant
May 23, 2005 05:55PM
<HTML>Exactly what is ceramics purpose in paint sealants? anybody know?
A few company's have claimed "ceramic based" paint sealant.</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
<HTML>Who are they? Sounds we are seeing similar nonsense the whole "including Teflon" pitch generated.</HTML>

Re: Ceramic Based Paint Sealant
May 23, 2005 06:14PM
<HTML>Bill, sure does to me as well.

I get all the new component bulletins, new additives, new resins, etc from Dow, etc and haven't seen anything regarding this one.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 24, 2005 01:41AM
<HTML>Quote: Exactly what is ceramics purpose in paint sealants? Stephen Britz

This is what PPG say about their product-

PPG’s CeramiClear clear coat is the first automotive clear coat to use nanoparticle technology and raises the standard for combined resistance to scratches mars and acid etch. The patented nanoparticle technology creates a highly cross-linked network at the surface of the coating for superior resistance to damage caused by day-to-day use, car washes and environmental hazards such as acid rain and tree sap.

PPG Industries Inc (2004) ceramic clear coat is unmatched in scratch, surface marring and acid-etching resistance as well as gloss retention. Test results have shown that after a period of six months gloss retention shows an 80% improvement and acid-etching resistance is 50% better compared to that of a non-ceramic clear coat. They have also developed an aftermarket refinishing clear coat to provide approximately the same level of protection as the OEM ceramic clear coat.

As Bill and Ketch suggested a lot of companies will probably get on the ‘hard scratchproof clear coat’ bandwagon .</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
May 24, 2005 02:06AM
<HTML>Just as Eagle One rushed out a special "Nano Wax".

Have checked the product, checked pretty well, nothing special, just a "buzz/marketing" name.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 24, 2005 02:19AM
<HTML>Stephen,
Don't confuse sealants with clear coats.</HTML>
May 24, 2005 02:28AM
<HTML>The "refinish" material.

Let's see, three weeks ago I with Dave, the main OEM rep for PPG, and two weeks ago with Keith, the main rep for PPG aftermarket, and sorry, the refinish material is not there yet.

They have a lot of work to do on it, has to do with "flow and film formers" that require much more heat than can be produced when applied to an assembled vehicle, some other issues.

ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
May 24, 2005 04:12AM
<HTML>Are we talking about the ceramiclear on the high line Mercedes or a paint sealant that actually uses ceramic, which I've never heard of? I've heard of some sealants to be used on the ceramiclear but never a sealant with ceramic.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 24, 2005 01:10PM
<HTML>Brian,
You can use ANY sealant on the ceramiclear.

The ceramic particles are only in the top one or two micron of the clear.

They rise up during the film forming as the binder cures.

Under that very, very minute portion is normal clear, with all the same problems.The total clear is the normal 1.5 to 2 mil film build.

Ketch</HTML>

May 24, 2005 04:32PM
<HTML>Oh, I know that. Just meant that I've heard of these "nano waxes" that popped up on the retail shelves.

What I use on them is the Cerious (if needs buffing because the MB detail dept. is incompetent) then the Finishing Wax.

Hey, if you work with the people at PPG then I'm surely going to use the right stuff.

I thought the film build on the ceramiclear was thinner than 1.0 mils?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 24, 2005 04:44PM
<HTML>The film build of the "cermaric" portion is way less than the actual clear.

The clears are measuring out at the standard of 1.5 to 2 mils on the panels we have checked.

The "cermaric" is 1 or 2 "microns" which is way less than a mil.

This is is the very top of the clear film build, under it is the normal 1 or 2 K clear, atomizing bell applied, two passes, the "curing" brings the film former into play, and the ceramic portion floats to the top of the clear.

Ketch</HTML>

May 25, 2005 04:07AM
<HTML>Christian:
No, I was not confusing paint sealants with clearcoats.
A few company's mentioned this in their spiel . . . .</HTML>

Detailing, An Art In Motion!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login