Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teflon coated wheels.

Posted by John Sharp 
Teflon coated wheels.
May 24, 2005 01:09AM
<HTML> Hey everybody, I have a guy who called me asking me if I had any experience with teflon coated wheels. While I have seen some custom wheels in stores selling wheels with teflon coatings, we havent had a car with these wheels come into the shop yet.

Do any of you know of special methods needed to clean a teflon coated wheel? Do the teflon coated wheels really help brake dust from sticking to the wheels? Does the coating really hold up and last for the life of the wheel? Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
John Sharp</HTML>
Re: Teflon coated wheels.
May 24, 2005 02:04AM
<HTML>Teflon® is a synthetic polymer formula (PTFE) produced by Dupont Chemicals and requires a temperature of 680°F for it to sinter or bond to a surface. I haven’t heard of wheel mfg using Teflon on their wheel surfaces, but then I’m just a dumb Architect and lead a very sheltered life so it may be possible.
I have heard many claims by car care products that claim to contain Teflon.

This is a quote from DuPont chemicals about their product and car care products- “The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer paint does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes. “</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
Re: Teflon coated wheels.
May 24, 2005 02:12AM
<HTML>Actually, there are several, well known, aftermarket wheel companies using a flurotelamer resin in their acrylic/powdercoat applied to wheels.

Had several discussions regarding this with some of the companies at SEMA in Nov. as am working on a technical article regarding the various wheel coatings, types of new chromes, etc.

The question will be asked, "what do I clean them with?"

The answer I got from all of the "quality" manufacturers was basically the same, no hydrofluric's, no "hot caustic" cleaners, watch the butyl content, the sodium hydroxide content, the sodium metasilacate, TSP, etc.

Cool wheel, wet first with water, etc, basic same cleaning as done by any professional.

If I find the time, hope to have this published before the next SEMA show.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it all!
chemical contents
May 24, 2005 02:43AM
<HTML>Ketch,

Ingredients such as those you listed:

butyls, sodium hydroxide, sodium metasilacate, TSP and many others

How can we determine what content in a given product is too much as to be dangerous to a particular automotive surface?

I see general product discussion but not as much in the way of ingredients and chemistry. In addition to knoweldge of health risks we have more information about, would like to see more info on this area.</HTML>

Re: chemical contents
May 24, 2005 04:08AM
<HTML>Ron,

I want your job when you retire!

To me, Teflon coated wheels would be easier to clean than clear coated wheels -- which clean up quick with just carwash soap and water if neglected but not cooked.

I know all the chemicals you listed except TSP. Am I missing something?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
May 24, 2005 01:17PM
<HTML>It appears some of the above mentioned chemical ingredients, among others, are necessary to some extent in some detailing products.

I'm wondering at what point /amount do they start getting more likely to cause damage to the particular automotive surfaces even with responsible usage and if certain products that utilize particular amounts of these ingredients are more hazardous and/or even of "lesser quality" than similar products from the competition.</HTML>

May 24, 2005 01:18PM
<HTML>The first "adventure" of putting a flurotelamer in a clear was the first two years of the Infiniti Q45 and was a disaster.

Teflon is just a modified flurotelamer resin.

The orginal resin uses "air" as it's final catalist, IE, it's an "aerobic" cure resin.

It is also the most "corossive resistant" resin that is readily available.

According to the wheel manufacturers I talked with, it does help in shedding brake dust and cleans up easier, as it should.

TSP is trisodiumphosphate.

The use of small percentages of any of these various compounds in a product is not a problem, it is when the manufacturer goes over board with the percentage.

They do so as they will clean really well, but are corossive.

Plus, it's a lot cheaper to use them in higher percentages than to use the safer , and as effective other compounds that are available.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
May 24, 2005 03:13PM
<HTML>Brian,

The wheels are not actually "Teflon" coated, just an additive to the normal acrylic or polyester clear powdercoat that is applied to the wheels.

Much as with the old Infiniti's, however this is newer technology and with a powdercoat system easier to get resin dispersal of the flurotelamer/teflon resin into the base binder/filmformer resin system.

One wheel manufacturer, who must remain nameless, per their request, told me that they are putting a "VERY" small amount of one of the DuPont Teflon resins into the powdercoat, so they can market "with Teflon" while in reality the major portion of the actual working resin is the standard flurotelamer resin.

Marketing is important and Teflon has a huge customer acceptance.

Ketch</HTML>

Dan
May 24, 2005 03:16PM
<HTML>Ron,
Isnt TSP pretty much used as a "filler" for soaps, degreasers, etc..? I heard its very cheap and easy for companies to use as a "carrier" of the corrosive cleaners in the products.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
May 24, 2005 03:40PM
<HTML>It is the main ingrediant in many laundry detergents, cheap degreasers, etc.

note the "sodiumphosphate" in the name.

Ketch</HTML>

Dan
May 24, 2005 10:36PM
<HTML>So is it pretty much a caustic surfactant? Im going to try and find a book on detergents so I know exactly what all this means.

Dan Draper
DRAPERSAUTOIMAGERY.com</HTML>
May 25, 2005 12:24AM
<HTML>Good idea, will start you down the path of being able to seperate the "wheat from the chafe" that so many "companies" try to use to sell products.

Just a word of caution, understanding what a "component" may be, is just the start of the journey.

Chemistry, being able to know what each may do, when in a formula, what percentages, how some work with others, how some may "buffer" others, is where you need to go.

Ketch</HTML>

May 25, 2005 12:56AM
<HTML>That's a journey I'd like to embark on as well.</HTML>

May 25, 2005 01:25AM
<HTML>Good!

Just remeber one thing, never assume that by reading one thing, you know the answer.

I was "bambozzled" by a former company's president and resident chemist 10 years ago, I trusted what he told me.

Now, I regret it greatly, as does my body and my health.

ketch</HTML>

May 25, 2005 02:15AM
<HTML>Thank you for the word of caution. I will certainly remember it as I try to learn more.</HTML>

May 25, 2005 02:43AM
<HTML>Not me. I will let the product manufacturer play mad scientist then I will follow their instructions.</HTML>

Superior Shine-Covina, Ca.

Please join me in giving thanks to our men and women who serve in the name of our freedom and cannot be home with their families. Please include them in your prayers.
May 26, 2005 12:52AM
<HTML> Thanks for the ideas guys. I ended up being pleased with the wheels when he brought them in. I did as Ketch suggested and treated them as any other custom wheels and didnt use any harsh cleaners or scrubbing.

They seemd to be easier to clean and rinsed off easily. I dont know if they really resist brake dust more than regular wheels but they seemd slick and shiny with just regular auto wash soap and a wash mit then a rinse.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

John</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login