Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

If i could do it over

Posted by Rob Marini 
If i could do it over
May 28, 2005 06:55PM
<HTML>Just for conversation purposes, if you could do it all over again (start your business) what would you do different this time around? What mistakes would you avoid making all over again?

Rob</HTML>
Re: If i could do it over
May 28, 2005 08:18PM
<HTML>I doubt the board has enough storage space for me to write ALL the things I'd do differently!

I guess the most costly mistake I made was opening the shop in October rather than waiting until spring. I thought it'd be the perfect time because the weather would be getting too cold for folks to wash their own cars at home, the driveway boys would be back in school, etc. The thing I didn't realize is that during Indiana winters most people don't really care if they have a clean car or not!

Tied in with this is the other thing I didn't realize...it takes a LONG time to get a client base! It's pretty rural here and not many people are into having a detail more than once or twice a year. Takes a lot of folks to fill up the calender.

We're doing good now but that first winter really sucked!

There's plenty more but those are the two things I misjudged the most!

Steve Bough
The Shine Shop
Jasper, Indiana
PDTA Member</HTML>
May 28, 2005 10:51PM
<HTML>To be honest with you, I wouldn't have changed a thingsmiling smiley</HTML>

San Antonio Mobile Auto Detail
Martin Hernandez
[www.saMobileCarWash.com]
May 29, 2005 01:58AM
<HTML>If I had to do it over again???

I took this business from Parttime to fulltime in June of 2004.

I would have worked alote harder while it was partime to build up a customer base, so when I took it fulltime more cash would of been rolling in.

One other thing I would of done was to have a bigger nest egg saved before making the jump to fulltime..

But all is good now, still not making the same as the fulltime job, but I found other ways to make money too. It is so nice to able to go to school eventsm basball games, and other events with my kids...

But then again I almost agree with what San Antonio Mobile Wash stated.

People always say, if I had to do it all over again I would change this or that..

If I changed anything I would not be where I am today!!</HTML>

Auto Appearances Inc , Raleigh NC (919) 812-4759
May 29, 2005 04:39AM
<HTML>I still would have went into business for myself but I wouldnt have choosen auto detailing.

I spent many many years becoming a good detailer and very little learning how to be a business man.

Other than that I am pretty happy with the way things are going.</HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------

Plays in the rain --- www.SuperiorShineDetailing.com
May 30, 2005 04:08AM
<HTML>Would have started this earlier and have an earlier focus on customer management in order to generate return business and referalls quicker.</HTML>

Keith
Details on Demand Inc.
Mobile Auto and Boat Detailing
May 30, 2005 07:26PM
<HTML>Main thing I would have done different is learned the business side first and went in with a more business sence than passion for detailing. I would have started with more people wearing more hats and me wearing the management/training hat instead of all the hats stacked on top of my head.</HTML>
May 30, 2005 07:58PM
<HTML>"Main thing I would have done different is learned the business side first
and went in with a more business sence than passion for detailing. I would
have started with more people wearing more hats and me wearing the
management/training hat instead of all the hats stacked on top of my head."

AMEN BROTHER!!</HTML>

Superior Shine-Covina, Ca.

Please join me in giving thanks to our men and women who serve in the name of our freedom and cannot be home with their families. Please include them in your prayers.
June 01, 2005 05:47AM
<HTML>I'd be a doctor instead of a well-tanned detailer.

All kidding aside, I would've started -- at a younger age -- the aggressiveness that I have now and dedication to what I wanted. Sooner is always better than later.

Luckily, I took my "entrepreneurial" classes at a community college back in 99' and learned what I needed to know with sales; business plan writing; book keeping; basic management; etc.

Now I'm back in school going for my degrees and learning a lot. Have used my business for many situations and cases. Professors love the idea of detailing boats and cars.

Ahh, that's just it for what I would've done differently -- I would have pursued boats earlier.

I'm pretty happy (and aching) where I am now but in 5 years I'll be even happier!</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login