Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

OZONE

Posted by Bud Abraham 
OZONE
May 30, 2005 07:49PM
<HTML>Doing some research on the merits of ozone for eliminating odors, I found an interesting article in a janitorial trade journal about ozone.

In summary what the article indicated was that ozone was the best way to eliminate acute and persistent odor problems even after the source of the odor was removed.

It further indicated that used in unoccupied areas ozone was safe and effective.

The article further listed area where ozone can be effectively used to eradicate odors derived from:

Bacteria, mold and mildew
Smoke
Garbage, sewage, fish, urine, feces and pet odors
Spores, viruses, fungi, and pollen
Cigarettes and tobacco
Paint fumes and auto pollutants
Insulation, carpeting and furniture

An example that was given was an extreme case, but shows what ozone can do. A doctor's office was flooded with more than 4' of raw sewage due to a sewer line break which ended up soaking all of the patient files. To save the files they were freeze-dried.

However, working with them proved impossible since the sewage had been absorbed into the paper,making the stench just too strong to deal with.

The files were treated with ozone generators for four dayts and following the treatment, the odors were completely removed and the the office was able to work with the files again.

Thought you might be interested in knowing what professionals in a like industry think of the ozone generator as a method of odor elimination.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: OZONE
May 30, 2005 08:18PM
<HTML>I thought of buying one years ago as I had a few request for that type of work. Currently 95% of my work is on vehicles 2 years old or newer. Most of them are on a maintenace plan so they stay nice.

If the need came up for one more than once a year (if that) I would pool a few detailers in the area that I trust to buy one for all of us to use.

We all agreed to do it but we hardly if ever need to use it.

Nice to know it works though. Thanks for the info.</HTML>

Superior Shine-Covina, Ca.

Please join me in giving thanks to our men and women who serve in the name of our freedom and cannot be home with their families. Please include them in your prayers.
June 01, 2005 05:39AM
<HTML>I'm in the same boat. Had two cases of odor eliminating requests in the past three years but I think if we need more requests we should push the awareness of odor removal. There are a lot of smokers out there who complain that their cars wreak of stale smoke and are happy with Fabreze. If we pushed the service more, I bet that they'd be calling.

$495 for a piece of equipment/investment isn't bad at all.

I'd like to read the article in full. Available online?</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
June 01, 2005 12:50PM
<HTML>"$495 for a piece of equipment/investment isn't bad at all."

How much????

We got ours second hand for about $40 each, I think they were origionally used in the food industry. Maybe you guys should be watching the auctions!

Over the years, our ozone machines have seen a lot of action, but these days we mostly use them for light odours. We are far more likely to use foggers, which when used with the right chemicals seem to be more effective.

We origionally bought a full fogging kit for a couple of hundred pounds, but one of your guys who is a part time DJ said he had a similar one at home!
So now we have bought a couple of disco fogging machines from eBay and these work fine. This kind of thing: [cgi.ebay.com]

We get the chemicals direct from [www.unsmoke.com]

We have done some pretty serious jobs including cars that have caught fire and trucks that were parked next to a sewage works during a flood! Our methods and products needed to be approved by the insurance companies health and safety experts and they all passed muster.

Unsmoke are a wonderful company in as much as their UK agents provide us with full backup, loads of advice and helpful suggestions and got back to us with the answers to all our questions, sometimes contacting America for the solutions... this was invaluable to us as at the time we had vehicles dismantled and were working secretly at night for the purpose of client confidentiality. This service was invaluable in getting us started off.</HTML>
June 08, 2005 07:38PM
<HTML>Our Ozone machines are part of our detailing systems and while we do not use this tool daily, not having it would mean we do not have compete systems for our clients.

We use the tool nearly every week and while not a huge profit channel for us, the sales from the service do help and I feel it simply makes us a true professional as most detail organizations do not have the system.

If you don't have you can't sell it!</HTML>

Renny Doyle
Attention To Details
Aircraft &amp; Auto Detailing
www.detailingsuccess.com
Proud Detailers of Air Force One!
PDTA Member
June 13, 2005 02:52PM
<HTML>Jose:

Something you may not have consider in looking at an ozone machine, and that is, your hot climate.

I would guess that every car you work on has an air conditioner, right? Operating almost everyday generating moisture in the system.

Air conditioning systems in cars are one of the first places that mold builds up. People in hot climates are always complaining about several things when they turn on the air conditioner:

a. Smell
b. Irritation in their eyes
c. Irritation in their nose

All these things are caused by mold building up in the air conditioner and then the mold spores being blown out when the air conditioner is turned on.

Any professional detailer in your market place should have an Ozone Generator for those kinds of situations. Most customers don't even know that they exist. They just accept them because the dealer does not even know how what causes them or how to correct them.

It is a professional detailer that should know what the cause is and how to correct and have the equipment to make the correction.

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 13, 2005 10:51PM
<HTML>Sound like you have an over stock on ozone generator, This is an machine thats not approve by the FDA/EPA as I have said before that product cause problem for people that suffer from breathing problems it also break down the material in cloth seats and leather.</HTML>

WE DON'T USE THE &quot;F-WORD&quot; YA KNOW &quot;FREE&quot; A M.O.B BUSINESS
June 13, 2005 11:27PM
<HTML>Where are you getting your information, which is faulty.

As far as I know the EPA and the FDA do not approve or disapprove anything with regard to private industries products.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with ozone. The "myths" that have been floating around the detail industry are generated by the chemical companies from what I have heard.

In the janitorial industry which disseminates far more valid and technical information than the detail industry, ozone generators are the choice of all professionals seeking to eliminate odor problems and mold.

The hotel/motel industry has used much larger ozone generators for years to di-odorize rooms of smoke smell in carpets, drapes, bedspreads and furniture.

This does not seem to correspond with your information or opinions about ozone.

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS</HTML>

buda
Re: YOUR ANSWER-OZONE GENERATORS
June 14, 2005 02:18AM
<HTML>Do a search on: EPA- OZONE GENERATORS

ANSWERS:www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html www.epa.gov/appcdwww/iemb/ozone.htm

Hope this HELP</HTML>

June 14, 2005 02:41AM
<HTML>Their other ways of cleaning air conditioning in automobiles and mold in vents.

Foam coil cleaners introduced through the evaporator coil.

Fogging mildewcides through the air intake vents,

cleaning or changing cabin filters frequently.

I believe it is wrong to use an ozone machine in some vehicles like antiques and classics and vehicles that could possible become a rare classic. In older vehicles air ducting can be made of paper, and ozone can affect rubber and cellouse materials like leather. Conservators in museums environments do not endorse the use of ozone since it can damaging effects on these materials.</HTML>
June 14, 2005 03:03AM
<HTML>CAN OPEN...........WORMS EVERYWHERE............</HTML>

June 14, 2005 03:52AM
<HTML>That really says nothing other than, be cautious, we think there could be a problem. If there was a problem they would take the units off the market.

Plus, who gets in the car when the ozone machine is working or after it has been on. The instructions say to air out the car before breathing or entering the car.

Of course there are other ways of doing things, but the ozone generator is the easiest and best way to do it.

As Scott P says, some people just want to argue, for the say of arguing.

As they say, "just take what you want and leave the rest."

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 14, 2005 04:16AM
<HTML> bud
I KNEW YOU WOULD HAVE SAID THAT !!!!!!!!!! I am done with this</HTML>

June 14, 2005 01:01PM
<HTML>"some people just want to argue, for the say of arguing"

I thought this was a discussion forum where people can have discourse, exchange ideas on all things relating to detailing and practice critical thinking.

Are we supposed to accept carte blanche everything you say?

What makes the ozone machine the best way? Why is it not possible to seek other alternatives to cleaning and resolving mold?

It is through discussion and input from many other sources that we develop methodolgies and ideas that allow all of us to grow in this industry.

I do not think it is your place to tell anybody when or how present opinions.</HTML>
June 14, 2005 02:23PM
<HTML>Hear, hear!!

And what is the "dismissal" of the goverments, both US and Canada's publically made findings, the result of many tax dollars and man hours of research?

Just an important thought.

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
June 14, 2005 02:52PM
<HTML>That is exactly what we are doing discussing. Because I disagree with what someone says is not arguing, it is my opinion.

There is nothing personal in what it said, even if it disagrees with another.

What we must do is disagree or agree and do not get personal. If I have gotten personal with anyone let me apologize.

Ron, there was no intent to dismiss what government has to say, but if you read carefully what was said, it is incomplete and leaves a great deal unanswered.

Logic says that if what was stated in this dissertation was completely and absolutely true that ozone generators would not be sold. It was a caution, although it did not say that, it was just a statement that can be misread which I personally think it was.

If I believed what that EPA statement said I would not sell ozone generators.

Does your company sell Hydroflouric Wheel Acid?

Regards
Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
June 14, 2005 04:17PM
<HTML>What is your take on the Canadian Ministry of Health's ruling, a few years back, with requiring all home owners who purchased an ozone generator to stop using them and return to the manufacturers?

Ketch</HTML>

Do it right or don't do it at all!
June 14, 2005 09:55PM
<HTML> I have two ozone machines, one for my home and one for the business. I first acquired the home machine after a friend loaned me one to remove odors in my air ducts from the prevoius owner of the house. Really, the machine worked like a miracle! It worked so well on the pet and smoke smell that I was convinced it could be usefull in the detailing business and have on several occasions recomended them to people here on the forum.

I have been occasionally using the ozone on smelly cars for a while now and havent seen any noticable side effects BUT I am not an expert on the alledged health effects. I cant seem to get the link the New Again posted to work but I would be open minded to reading information that came from a reputable source. I can believe that any of my cleaning chemicals could be unhealthy for my body if used improperly and I suppose it is possible to have side effects from ozone but I would like to first see some proof that it is dangerous and what exactly the dangers are. Mabye if used professionally and carefully the ozone machine would still be usefull if the dangers were understood and the ozone used properly, just like the whole arsenal of chemicals I have in my shop.

If I have some time this evening I will try to find the EPA and Canadian studies on the net that some of you felllows refered to and if I find anything interesting I will post it here.

Best regards,
John</HTML>
June 14, 2005 10:10PM
<HTML>[www.hc-sc.gc.ca]

I found that this link leads to an article on the Canadian study. I also found thet New Again's link worked fine but that it was my own stupidity that caused it not to work. smiling smiley

At this point the stuff I am reading is about the health side effects of being in an enviroment rich with ozone. I do believe though that the machine I have is supposed to be turned off and the area well ventilated before breathing the air, both in a car or in a house.

What I am also interested in is if I am damaging a car interior in some way with the ozone. I'll keep looking.

John</HTML>
June 15, 2005 06:17AM
<HTML>John
I too wanted an ozone machine. But after the EPA READING I changed my mind its the UNKNOWN EFFECT that bother me the most.

There was an article about automobile usage of an ozone machine I will try to find it. Speaking to friends that have SOME knowledge, The machine can dry out the interior in an effect break down the leather and any plastic IF the machine is used improperly</HTML>

June 15, 2005 05:23PM
<HTML>"As Scott P says, some people just want to argue, for the say of arguing".

I didn't exactly say or imply that. What I meant was that this issue is a contentious one and this was thread was sure to spark heated debate. Nothing more, nothing less. I think discussion of subjects like this is very healthy if done with respect and intelligent debate - not insults.</HTML>

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login