Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Oil Paint on Leather & Headliner

Posted by Brian Angelucci 
Oil Paint on Leather & Headliner
June 04, 2005 06:58AM
<HTML>Hi all,

My exotic car brokerage got in Jeep Cherokee (I know, not exotic) as a trade in and the previous owner is a wealthy artist but not a careful one when it comes to interiors. There is oil based paint on the headliner, leather and carpeting.

Anyone know what the best solution is to remove the paint safely? It's the paint you would see in a painting on a canvas, not latex paint or road paint type.</HTML>

Take care,

Brian
Precision Auto & Marine

Learn to detail boats! Visit www.detailtheboat.com
Re: Oil Paint on Leather &amp; Headliner
June 04, 2005 03:57PM
<HTML>Probably oil or water-based paints that a solvent type cleaner should remove (dare I suggest to a pro to be careful on the headliner) as it will take friction rubbing to remove dried paint
JonM</HTML>

[ each one / teach one, then student /becomes teacher ]
June 04, 2005 05:22PM
<HTML>On oil based paint I think your just out of luck. We had a little BMW convertible in here last week that had oil based silver paint overspray on black leather. I tried to get a tip on the board and was unsucessful. I went to a couple of leather care sites and decided to try baby oil and/or saddle soap. Neither of them even touched it.

This week we had an Expedition that the lady had just spilled water based paint on the leather passenger seat. Used a water based APC and didn't get real good results. Tried a solvent based APC and took the color off the leather (figured the seat was ruined anyway so we had nothing to loose).

In your case sounds like you have nothing to loose either. I'd make sure the dealership understands that the leather, carpet, and headliner will probably need to be replaced anyway. If they're agreeable to that, then you can try anything you want.

I hope you can find something that works...I'd like to know too!

Steve Bough
The Shine Shop
Jasper, Indiana
PDTA Member</HTML>
June 05, 2005 12:27AM
<HTML>Brian:

Call an artist's paint supply store and ask them what they have to remove this type of paint. I am sure they have some type of thinner to remove this paint.

If they do have something make sure you know what it is, maybe even call the manufacturer of the remover and see if it would damage the surfaces you are trying to remove the paint from.

Let us know the results of your search.

Bud Abraham</HTML>

buda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login